It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.4 cubic km of ice crashing into the ocean

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
That would be a sight.. The same is happening down in Antarctica but I'm not sure whether it has actually happened yet.

The IceBridge team made a preliminary calculation that the area that could calve in the coming months covers about 310 square miles (800 square kilometers), Studinger said.

A Crack in the Pine Island Glacier Ice Shelf

The article is from October last year and I'm sure we would of heard of it since then if it had calved.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
really cool,

seen that big ship coming out from 1:50 - 2:10 ???

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Awesome!
Check out the alien face in the ice at 2:57

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Do these event happens a lot ?

Historically...no. In the last 30 years? Yes.

Can it make the sea level go up ?

Not only CAN it....it MUST cause sea levels to rise.

Does 2012 have something to do with it ?

Only in the sense that in 2012 we continue to needlessly destroy our environment instead of shifting to renewable, clean energy production and responsible designs for our buildings.

Do we have something to be worried about?

Yes. What's relevant is not so much that the climate is changing...but the SPEED at which the climate is changing. The shift is happening too quickly for much of the world's fauna to evolve to handle their new environments.

If things progress as they have been for the last 30 years without MASSIVE game-changing innovations and/or changes to human behavior the global food chain will collapse and the preponderance of the human race will die out.

That being said...we are a bit like cockroaches so I don't think we will go completely EXTINCT...it will just seem like we did when 7 billion people become 1 billion or less in the span of a generation or two.

Unfortunately, history tells us that while the sheer arithmetic of caloric shortages would be devastating...our decline will almost assuredly be accelerated by a sharp increase in the perpetual state of endemic warfare that mankind has existed in since the day we started practicing agriculture. Our instinctive reaction when resources are constrained is to turn on one another and simply steal what the rival troop of hominids next door has on them.

Of course, we must take into account the complex society in which we live in. We won't CONSCIOUSLY go out and say to another country "Hey...we are going to steal your food now". Instead, there will be all sorts of other "justifications" for this behavior, but most of them centering on exploiting the base fears humans have of other hominids who ascribe to different political, religious, and economic ideologies. There is a good chance that in our quest for caloric input might not be focused so much on the FOOD itself, but rather upon OTHER forms caloric energy which we could use to produce more food. Oil, for example, can be used to run tractors, ship food around the world, and create OTHER products which produce revenue which could then be traded for food.

Thus, during the early stages of food chain collapse, it is highly probable that even though the PRICES for food are escalating dramatically, humans will likely exhibit a predisposition towards blaming/explaining this phenomena via other events which are themselves symptoms of fundamental problem of having too many humans and not enough caloric input to sustain them.

For example, it's reasonable to think that humans might attribute these exponential increases to something like market instability, a vaguely defined concept of "inflation" that fails to account for why FOOD is increasing in price more rapidly than pretty much anything else, or even attribute the entire problem to a single scapegoat figurehead's policies in government somewhere because accepting the reality that lots and lots of people are going to die horrible deaths unless we change RIGHT NOW is simply too frightening to fully contemplate.

This phenomena of refusing to accept the obvious facts in front of you because their implications are terrifying can also be seen in other areas as well. For example, the evidence CLEARLY points to multiple gunmen and a coverup in the assassination of JFK...yet 40% of Americans refuse to accept this possibility. Likewise, we have had astronauts, high-ranking military personnel, former intelligence agents, and heads of state ALL tell the public in point-blank terms that ET life forms are visiting our planet...yet for some bizzarre reason people are still waiting for "disclosure" of some kind as if it HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DISCLOSED TO US. How about RFK? The audio of the shooting CLEARLY demonstrates that more shots were fired than could possibly be held in the gun that Sirhan Sirhan was allegedly using. There is no debate that there was a second gunman and THERE NEVER WAS. It's not "new" evidence...it's been there all along. Yet still, nobody in the past or present has seemed particularly determined to find out who that somebody was...because it implies that a highly organized, well trained, group of some sort has been covertly subverting the American government for a LOOONG time.

And that's scary....so instead we just sort of dismiss/ignore the evidence right in front of our faces and tell ourselves that "it will be OK" even though we all KNOW that it will NOT be "OK".

Perhaps our impending extinction is well deserved after all. Maybe we are just simply not fit enough to survive.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
SOLAR warming.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewThor7
SOLAR warming.

with all the solar flare that has been going on
yes i think you are right !

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Absolutely Mesmerizing.

Ha, we might actually get to see Greenland become a much greener place.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Yes
Not really in this state
No
Not with this

The global warming crowd would say humans are doing it, their solution is that we die (not them who do most of the damage on Earth) , or pay them money to correct the "Earth and the Sun"...ALGORE promotes it. That is what Agenda 21 says.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thegrayone

How is that possible when some of this Ice is on land?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ShotGunRum

Once in a while there is a supernova and once in a while there is a Manhattan.
May or may not relate to "global warming".

Edit: In other regards I wonder how much water was evaporated by the sun today? And how much fell as snow?

edit on 13-12-2012 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegrayone
I'm surprised and glad that nobody has said that the water level is going to rise due to the melting of the ice! First time I heard that on the news, after Al Gore came out with his global warming propaganda, I couldn't stop laughing for weeks. My father was really scared and I had to explain to him that the water level would remain the same even if all the icebergs melt at the same time!

Yes... when all the Icebergs melt, because 1) 90% of their mass is already in the water and 2) water actually takes up more space in frozen form.

The problem comes in when the sheets on top of land masses begin to melt (further) and that new water is added to the volume of our oceans. (Greenland, Antarctica, etc...)

Think it thru.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Congratulation for being useful idiot of corporate propaganda. Salty water have greater buoyancy which makes ( long term ice - which loses salt in time ) actually increasing water level after melting. Not to mention melting all those icebergs that reach bottom and all the ice on normal land ... You sir are a .....
reply to post by shogu666

Thank you for the name calling, very mature!
At no moment did I refer to ice on "normal" land. I was referring to icebergs... the ones already in the water, you know?
Why don't you verify it yourself? Go ahead and fill a container with ice and salty water and see if as the ice melt, the water is going to over flow. And how do you think those icebergs that touch bottom came to be? The water level was already raised by the ice falling into the water. So touching bottom or not, the water level is not going to rise more as the ice melt... salt or no salt! They are more dangerous when they fall in the water than when they melt.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by shogu666

Originally posted by thegrayone
I'm surprised and glad that nobody has said that the water level is going to rise due to the melting of the ice! First time I heard that on the news, after Al Gore came out with his global warming propaganda, I couldn't stop laughing for weeks. My father was really scared and I had to explain to him that the water level would remain the same even if all the icebergs melt at the same time!

Congratulation for being useful idiot of corporate propaganda.

Salty water have greater buoyancy which makes ( long term ice - which loses salt in time ) actually increasing water level after melting.

Not to mention melting all those icebergs that reach bottom and all the ice on normal land ...

You sir are a .....

edit on 13-12-2012 by shogu666 because: (no reason given)

Acording to climate depot, Antarctic ice is back up to what it was in 1985, so it seems what the north cap looses, the south cap gains???

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join