It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Misses Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Asteroid Misses Earth

www.articlesbase.com

An asteroid about the size of one that blasted Siberia a century ago just buzzed by Earth.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I just found it amazing!!! NOT the title of the article........

BUT...............

"The asteroid was only spotted two days ago ......"

Only 2 days ago??? That tells me that almost anything could be headed our (Earth) and we may have 2 days or less to be prepared. Is this surprising to you as much as it is to me?

www.articlesbase.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ItDepends

Be less stressful if we only know 2 days in advance anyway. It also gives all those religious cons less time to try to weasel money out of people.

link   
I hope there are not more where that came from. Today is the 12.12.12..

link   
That actually is surprising. I figured these day we would be able to see something like this a lot sooner.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
i was always under the impression that space is like a giant shooting range with stuff comming from every direction. we get hit but tons of stuff every day just not huge planet killer ones we get hyped up in are brains that lurk around every corner. id imagine this happens alot more than you think. and alot more than nasa or any space inteligence will admit

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It buzzes us every 7 years. It gets closer each time so the prevailing wisdom is that it will likely hit us next time. It was so close it went between earth and the satellites orbiting Earth.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I find it very strange that people still think that the explosion in Tunguska was an asteroid. I think the people that wrote is article need to read more on Tesla tower.

also note that the designation was 2009 DD45. That would indicate that it was discovered in 2009.
edit on 12/12/12 by remembering because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Upthepunx
i was always under the impression that space is like a giant shooting range with stuff comming from every direction. we get hit but tons of stuff every day just not huge planet killer ones we get hyped up in are brains that lurk around every corner. id imagine this happens alot more than you think. and alot more than nasa or any space inteligence will admit

Yep, I realize a lot of debris is flying around universe and most of the stuff that does enter our atmosphere just disintegrates with no big deal.

But something of this size and not being seen until just two days ago seems inplausible with all of our satellites, Hubble, etc.

"The space ball measured between 69 feet and 154 feet in diameter. The Planetary Society said that made it the same size as an asteroid that exploded over Siberia in 1908 and leveled more than 800 square miles of forest."

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

It was not just seen 2 days ago. I have been reading about that one for years.

link   
reply to post by remembering

thanks for bringing REALITY to the thread

from space weather

Asteroid
Date(UT)
Miss Distance
Size
2012 XE54
Dec 11
0.6 LD
32 m
2012 XL55
Dec 11
4.2 LD
17 m
2009 BS5
Dec 11
8.4 LD
15 m
4179 Toutatis
Dec 12
18 LD
2.7 km

link   
reply to post by remembering

Good point! The designation would seem that it was seen sometime in 2009. Good catch. But still weird that it got so close this time with little being known or reported on.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yeah, I was just going to post that this was from a March 09 article.
It is odd that we seem to have no real warning of asteroids, but I guess it's less time for madness, so we have that at least.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Ok. I try to keep an eye out for these type of things, but honestly haven't read anything about it recently. Just seemed to miss the news media. Didn't see anything from JPL or NASA either. Something this big and this close I just would have thought would have received a little more attention. Thanks for responding

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
honeslty i think all of are eyes in the sky cant keep track of everthing comming at us. and even if they do, humans cant process and doing something bout every thing that come with in also i was thinking as all this stuff shoots around space there are obiviously collisions with each other. mabey this guy got knocked off his patch from grinding to many space pebbles? i dont know if it works that way in space. SPACE IS DEEEP!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Article is from Mar 04, 2009, nothing has happened today. This story got plenty of attention from the MSM when it happened more than 3 years ago...........

This story from the BBC when it happened in 2009

Plenty of threads here on ATS from the time too........

A Ufo Near Asteroid 2009 DD 45 By Lunar Explorer Italia

Just Discovered Astroid - Skimming Earth Tonight 3/2/09- named: 2009 DD45

ASTEROID PASSES EARTH 7 TIMES CLOSER THAN MOON!!

Surprise Asteroid Makes Near-Miss of Earth

edit on 12/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I watch a lot of Documentaries. I think History channel has talked about it many times. The Universe is one Documentary i like to watch. It is pretty interesting. It goes from the big bang to present. Hmm. How the Earth was made is another. Pretty neat stuff and i have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge for some reason so these things peak my interest. Wish i could stop that.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Article is from Mar 04, 2009, nothing has happened today. This story got plenty of attention from the MSM when it happened more than 3 years ago...........

This story from the BBC when it happened in 2009

Plenty of threads here on ATS from the time too........

A Ufo Near Asteroid 2009 DD 45 By Lunar Explorer Italia

Just Discovered Astroid - Skimming Earth Tonight 3/2/09- named: 2009 DD45

ASTEROID PASSES EARTH 7 TIMES CLOSER THAN MOON!!

Surprise Asteroid Makes Near-Miss of Earth

edit on 12/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

Right, thanks for your links. But even back in 2009 it appears they missed it too. Meaning they only classified it 'after' it had passed.

Even then they expressed concern stating: "Such unanticipated near-misses - at least in astronomical terms - from objects such as 2009 DD45... demonstrate the need for the global community to establish the means to mitigate this impact threat."

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So whats the point of posting about an asteroid from three years ago? I dont get it? are you saying that another one has just missed us, or reminding us of something from three years ago? makes no sense to me.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Too close for my comfort...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join