It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Samplers - Comic from an ATS member about NWO, conspiracies, time travel, and lucid dreaming

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Nice work! I've never bought a comic in my life, but I think I will when yours is out on paper, the subject matter its awesome, fantastic artwork! My cousin is into animation, so might get a couple of copies! Congrats on having your hard work pay off!!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I am impressed, reminds me of the first time reading the Watchmen graphic novel

And its not your typical dualism of super heroes and fill of typical evil doers. But the "powers that be" and they are given a face.. original and well written indeed. I imagine OP could be the next Stan Lee hmm maybe Stan himself ? Todd McFarlane is that you?

Im all ready a fan

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I wish you every success! The snippets you've supplied have whetted my appetite for more and the graphics look stunning! I love comics and history especially occult history so I look forward to getting my hands on a printed copy--I'm an old fashioned kind of a guy--and maybe we'll see a movie adaptation in the future?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Wow great work you could be working for Top Cow production!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Wooooowww.. very humbled by the overwhelming response! Many of you have mentioned wanting the printed copy - I assure you it's on the way. It was a real let-down when the printer stopped responding to email and phone calls. This thread has been a HUGE motivation already, and is just adding fuel to the fire. Thank you all!

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
Why don't you make another issues this time taking place in the year 2300 where the TPTB has established a Dystopic World Government very similar to 1984 and brave new world combined....

Also explore other topics such as

the Vatican
Operation Blackjack
Cryptozoology
John Titor

Travelling into the future (and references to John Titor) is certainly something that's come up a few times during brainstorming and writing. As for Cryptozoology, the first issue actually refers to Humanzees and Ilya Ivanovich Ivanov's research, along with some of Alexander Graham Bell's lesser known experiments with sheep. To be honest, I've been under a rock lately and Operation Blackjack is new to me. Will have to add that to the research list. Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming!

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
A heartfelt thanks to the OP for his contribution to the awakening of consciousness process in others, a very worthy goal, in my humble opinion.

Seems to have scared the debunkers and skeptics back under their rocks for now, but I'm sure they'll be on here eventually - or trying to forum slide this into oblivion - which I don't think will work.

Thanks so much, much appreciated. As for debunkers and skeptics, I won't ignore anyone's POV on these topics. The ultimate goal is to try and create discussions about important people and events in history. The format also makes it hard to criticize outright, since it's usually hard to make a strong case against humor and art (like trying to heckle a comedian).

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Love it, looks like pure genius. The artwork is above par.

PS: throw the collectors a bone, and do a print run! ... You know Kickstarter is a way to crowd-fund comics...

Appreciate the kudos on the art - as Springer and a few others have mentioned, this comic has been in the works for around 3 years now. A large part of that was just finding the right artist to take on the job! The current artist on Time Samplers is a true professional in every sense of the word, and has been essential to keeping the momentum going.

As for Kickstarter, that was the original plan - but it got overwhelming since most successful campaigns have all sorts of rewards and perks - plus there is a huge risk of not making your goal, and being left with nothing after a month of heavy promotion. Figured that any promotion up-front should be to raise awareness first (since nobody on the project has a big name), release a first comic to prove it's a real concept - then perhaps run a Kickstarter for issue 2/3 (and certainly for the trade paperback version of the first 100 pages). Promise that this is all in the master plan!

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
Wow this looks brilliant. It has a vibe very similar to The Invisibles, the theme and the art remind me of that comic. Great work so far. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Would be lying if I said that Morrison's The Invisibles wasn't a big influence. Not many other comics (or any other graphic media, for that matter) make such direct references to theories and occult legends. Over the years, I've actually found a small list of conspiracy-related comics. Have been meaning to make a post reviewing them all.

Originally posted by apokalupsis33vital
Brilliant and inspiring!!! I'm writing a novel focused on one certain conspiracy, and you have truly motivated me to keep at it and to get it done, thank you!! I may hit you up for some advice sometime, if you don't mind too much! S&F

I am extremely open and excited to help with any advice. To be totally honest, the entire process so far has been a long learning experience. The biggest help is just being motivated by other people working on similar projects. There's really no personal interest in getting "big" in comics. The goal for me is to just collaborate with as many writers/artists/musicians/etc. as possible - and again to keep a dialog going about all these topics!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
A most excellent idea, but I'm afraid a decade too late. What I mean, is that the target audience who typically buy Comic Books, now have cell,tweet and all the related devices as well as the Internet. I don't think the intended audience will be inclined to take the Time or Money and dispose of it towards this kind of Comic Book, or any Comic. Perhaps I'm wrong, and hope that is the case, but do you think this will reach the targeted audience?

That's why I say, a 'Decade ago'........ As I believe the youth were still actively making purchases of such items, though the practice was in decline.

I'll have to admit though, with the right marketing it might be successful. Look at all of Robert Crumb's work from the 60's on, Or even MAD Magazine or Cracked Magazine, Now all collectible Americana.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ETONE
This is awesome! I'll probably have to have one. I've been working on something similar for about 7 years but my style makes it very slow going, as well as school, and the story tends to evolve and adapt as I learn more. I was never very good at the the typical comic book style, so I'm completely mixing it up, doing my own style. I know it's hard to get published like that, so I'll probably self publish as well. Someday. *sigh*

Trust me, I can relate on all points. The original idea for Time Samplers was actually conceived around 9 years ago - so it certainly felt like a slow process at times. The story also evolved exponentially over those years, almost unrecognizable to what I started with - but also something that probably needed to take a long time to develop.

It was difficult to get anyone to understand the original concept, let alone want to publish/fund/market it. Tried contacting the big publishers, small publishers, etc. Decided that the only real way to get this done was to self-publish. Certainly adds lots more work, but most things worth doing usually have that effect. Hang in there!

Originally posted by gambon
Looks amazing! great work fellow! Will it be possible to buy the hard copies in the uk ?

Absolutely, and thank you! Once our new printer delivers the first run, I'll be personally shipping them worldwide to anyone that wants a copy.

Originally posted by Skyfloating
When you talked about this about 3 years ago I didnt really believe you had what it takes to make it real. I was very, very wrong. This appears to be quality work that even provides nuggets of new-information for long-time ATSers (had never heard of the Crowley-BBush connection or the Disney-FBI involvement. If the entire series contains fresh intrigue like that, Im sure its going to be really well-received.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

That's ok, we're still buds. To be candid with you, I'm not sure I believed I could do it either at the time... and moments of doubts still creep up occasionally, since there's no big media or marketing machine behind any of this. However, I can promise you that I'm completely dedicated to doing this, and similar projects from here on out. The intention is to constantly introduce readers to new information, with enough details to do more research on your own. Delighted that the Crowley-Bush and Disney-FBI connections were new to you!

Originally posted by mike dangerously
W. related to Crowley? Old Alister must be spinning in his grave (if he is indeed in there) As for Walt and J.Edgar well,it makes sense didn't know about Von Braun and the others worked for him.

Ha, yes this is certainly one of the most outlandish theories - but many Crowley enthusiasts/biographers/researchers tend to share this one in their books/documentaries/etc., despite how tall of a tale it may be. The research behind it is still fascinating, and the implications of Pauline Pierce (Barbara Bush's mother) being even a social acquaintance of Crowley is just as interesting. As for Disney, those few items are just scratching the surface of his story. I would love to do an entire issue on him - but I can already see the cease-and-desist orders piling up if I did!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheKeyMaster
I think this is very dangerous if not done properly.

Why would you call it Paranoid American comics?

I have to wonder what your real motives are to put this kind of stigma on comics relating conspiracy theories. To me it seems that someone could be trying to discredit the very idea of conspiracy theories as well as comics being an effective medium to deal with them

That might not be your intent but it's the perception it creates in my opinion.

I completely agree with you, in that this is dangerous if not done properly - and it's very hard to dance on the line between fact and fiction, when the ultimate goal is to bring more awareness and interest to historical events and people. I've actually been criticized a few times for even referring to some topics as "conspiracy theories" since that phrase alone has a negative connotation to it (which I personally disagree with, since the phrase is completely accurate). The problem with trying to present this research in a matter-of-fact way (outside of an artistic medium), is that most conspiracies have so many angles and contradicting theories, it's also a disservice to definitively stand behind a certain one. The idea is to just present the facts, research, and various theories in a way that the reader doesn't take it totally serious - but that they hopefully wonder "Hm, I wonder if that Jekyll Island place even really exists?" Once they have that question in mind and decide to research it on their own... I believe that's the best possible outcome.

The comic medium specifically, is just the most practical to start with. Would have loved to jump right into animation, but it's not cheap to have it done right. Also figured that the comic could present the overall concept in a very succinct way, and perhaps the comics could even serve as storyboards for planning ahead. As I mentioned before too, the big picture is to present this research in an entertaining matter across as many mediums as possible. There are plenty of documentaries and ebooks on this type of material, but not enough games, comics, toys, music, etc. That's the niche we're really trying to fill.

As for the name Paranoid American - it just seems fitting. Sounds somewhat "official" and also gets right to the point. Coming up with the name actually took a really long time, since it's a commitment. Almost like naming a first-born child. It certainly raises eyebrows when I need to open bank accounts or establish business relations - however it also sparks a conversation almost instantly.

I appreciate the feedback, and am sensitive to the issues you bring up. Hoping to do as much service to the research as possible, and also hope that the research can blend seamlessly with each medium - instead of being somewhat preachy (like Chick Tracts can tend to be).

Originally posted by ExCloud
Think you will ever do an issue on when the army fired on the UFO over LA? That might be a good one.

Still on the fence about how to approach the topic of UFOs, but really love that reference.

Originally posted by cameraobscura
maybe we'll see a movie adaptation in the future?

Have already dedicated the better part of a decade to getting this far, so I'm in it for the long haul! Having an animated adaptation (either movie or tv) would be amazing. Hopefully we're on the path in that direction.

-- Again, thank you so much for the overwhelming response so far. I also want to make this a very social and interactive project, so always promise to follow up with any questions, suggestions, criticisms, etc. It all adds momentum and motivation - two things that you simply can't buy!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by grobi77
Wow, great work!
I really like the topics and the style

I'm definitely interested....but only Kindle and iBookstore?

Maybe I've to wait for the prints...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus
A most excellent idea, but I'm afraid a decade too late. What I mean, is that the target audience who typically buy Comic Books, now have cell,tweet and all the related devices as well as the Internet. I don't think the intended audience will be inclined to take the Time or Money and dispose of it towards this kind of Comic Book, or any Comic. Perhaps I'm wrong, and hope that is the case, but do you think this will reach the targeted audience?

That's why I say, a 'Decade ago'........ As I believe the youth were still actively making purchases of such items, though the practice was in decline.

I'll have to admit though, with the right marketing it might be successful. Look at all of Robert Crumb's work from the 60's on, Or even MAD Magazine or Cracked Magazine, Now all collectible Americana.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

On a subconscious level, I'm sure lots of the inspiration behind this can be attributed to old comics like Crumb, Zapp, Cracked, etc.

As for everything else you mentioned - I can see your point. This idea actually started about a decade ago, but I didn't have any solid concepts yet, or the means/connections/resources to do anything about it either. It took a while to get here, and I've felt a few times that I may have missed the perfect time... but that's also why comics are not the final goal here, they are just the first step. By next year, there will be a digital version of the comic (sound effects, interactive footnotes, videos, etc.) along with interactive games, and also working on a very large interactive timeline, to highlight all of the research that's gone into all of the projects.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what the target audience is yet. I'm absolutely positive that I do NOT want to be in just the comics industry - in fact, as much as I love comic artists, creators, writers, fans, etc - the actual industry is ruthless, perhaps as bad or worse than the music industry. Hoping to reach into as many audiences as possible - music lovers, animation enthusiasts, comic readers, mobile game addicts, researchers, etc. So the last thing I want to do is be limited to any specific format (like just a comic book).

That said, open to any other ideas!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
While a talented piece of work, the story leaves much to be desired in my opinion. No offense but it's kind of what you would expect and isn't a surprise by any means. Something I enjoy most when reading comics is the fact that it keeps the page turning.

You most definitely have artistic talent and with some work on the stories to make them more intriguing instead of rehashing would go a long way.

I am an artist and I appreciate criticism more then compliments. It's what drives you to become even better as an artist. I hope you see things the same way and understand my critique is not a personal insult to you, or used to tear you down. It's to help build you up.

Good job. Looking forward to the next one. I also am not looking to debate my opinion on this, it is what it is.

Also your trying to reach a dead market with this, while you will have success here elsewhere you would be alienated. That's not saying to give up, perhaps though it's time to think outside the box a bit and make this attractive to other audiences while keeping the core idea intact.

edit on 13-12-2012 by TheCanuckian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
WOW!!! Great Job, wish I could s&f you more than once. Amazing! I can't praise you enough. I eagerly await the printed copy! I intend to buy many copies to give away.

edit on 13-12-2012 by 2manyholes because: grammar correction

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Here's a few extra ideas I have in mind:

EMP strikes in America (I recommend the book One Second After for more info)
Rising China, their hostile takeover of East Asian nations (Phillippines, Japan Taiwan Etc.) to form an Asian Union in their own terms and the possible The Chinese Invasion of America
911 false flag
Denver International Airport
War in Iran
World War 3
Immortals
Zombies
Vampires
Ghosts

edit on 13-12-2012 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
nice art works, and great ideas

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Thank you sir!

I have now come across the perfect gift for the whole family.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Let me get this straight your putting this up for $? PASS. There are plenty of online comics that are well received and generate fund from their community fan base and they dont charge a single penny. Some examples are Penny-arcade, Cyanide and happiness, and there are many others. I dont think this a great way for you to get exposure. Good Luck seems like you have a good concept.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Fantastic...takes me back to my 2000AD and Thargs future shocks.....excellent!!1

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm going to refute the negative Nancies and let you know that I just bought the iBooks version and eagerly await the printed version. I love graphic novels, when they are well done and on interesting topics and this fits the bill on both counts. Nice job!!!

edit on 13-12201212-1212 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

This is an excellent cartoon.
I will buy it when it is on paper. (Let us know when it's out! And where to buy it!).
Unless you publish it for the Nook ... then I can get it digital.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hey man you should put this up on indiegogo or kickstarter if you need funding for the project, i think its pretty cool

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join