It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Still no snow here in Eastern Canada.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I find this very odd that we haven't had snow yet. Sure, one small snowfall but it wasn't long till that turned to rain and the forecast now calls for warm weather till December 18th! I remember it raining during Christmas once or twice but there was always snow on the ground.

I also haven't seen any posts about this, which I also find peculiar. Not on the news, not on the websites. Am I remembering winter wrong from when I was a child? Huge snowbanks, pond hockey and snowboarding where all common things weeks before Xmas. No I can go for a walk outside with nothing but a small spring jacket.

If this isn't unusual what is?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm spending the holidays in Germany and it is covered with snow!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I remember hearing a few weeks ago that this winter would be like the ones we had in the past, with lots and lots of snow... But yeah, where is it?

It needs to snow for next year's agriculture, or it'll be bad...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hey op, Michigan reporting in. This will be my third year where I am located with no real snow (no measurable amount) as of december. And its been a while since we have had a white christmas...

It never really bothered me till this year. I used to do snow removal for extra cash in the winters but had to stop because the lack of the snow. It only snowed over an inch once last year I believe and that was it.

Where about in Canada are you at? Im in mid-michigan.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
I remember hearing a few weeks ago that this winter would be like the ones we had in the past, with lots and lots of snow... But yeah, where is it?

Coming into the end of September all the talk was of mountains and mountains of snow around here because of some jet stream. More than the record breaking winters of just 3 and 4 years ago.

Now it's all talk of dry moderate winter into February where we'll see incredible below zero temps for a sustained period.

Weather forecasting has more in common with stock analysis these days. It's like nobody wants to be accurate or right. They all just want to be the guy to call the next big event.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

I heard about this from a few people around these parts too, snow removal not working out... I'm in Southern NB, Canada. I only imagine how many other job sectors it is affecting. Lots of seasonal workers around here. I just moved here not long ago, right next to the sea. Folks around here said it was colder here because of the sea but I've never seen it this warm, ever.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi

It needs to snow for next year's agriculture, or it'll be bad...

I've heard this too about a week or two ago. If it does snow that much, it'll have to fall all at once. How is it affecting agriculture?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Cocasinpry

All the snow that falls on the ground helps plants when warmer times come back by melting into water. If there is no snow, plants will start on drier grounds, which won't be good at all.
edit on 12-12-2012 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2012 by NowanKenubi because: typot ypo lol

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'm in western New York here and it's the same, it's snowed once or twice but nothing that's stuck to the ground. This see,s like a repeat of the last two years.
Im no fan of snow but it seems odd to me as well

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Same here in SE Michigan just west of Windsor Ontario. Our waterways are already in serious trouble due to the summer drought. If we do not get the snowfall, or rainfall we need this winter the waterways will end up shut down all next summer. All of the rivers and lakes around here are lower than I have ever seen them. We have also seen some lakes and ponds dry up completely. It has even warmed enough around here for the trees to begin budding again. This winter as well as lasts reminds me more of winter in North Carolina than a Michigan winter.

I feel bad for all of the excavating/landscaping companies who rely on snow removal for winter income. Last year we never even had to be plowed out. The most snow we recieved at once here last year was four inches. Our weather is changing, that can no longer be denied. How devastating this winter will be is yet to be seen. Shipping lanes in the Great Lakes are already in jeapordy. Only time will tell.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Yeah Southwest Quebec here... A bit of snow on the ground but it's mostly mixed precipitations we've been getting for some time (Wet snow, Freezing rain, rain)

at the moment it's a bit cold (-11c with the windchill factor) but expected to return to normal soon.

I love the cold, i'm use to it but I can't stand snow

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dorkfish87

Thats odd I was just saying the same thing to the op about the last 2 years in michigan. Looking at a map we are all pretty close as far as latitude goes. There has been a trend the last few years, the bad weather (summer storms/tornados) that southern michigan and ohio used to get has been creeping north.

It used to be the michigan ohio border was a norther tornado alley of sorts but like I said that imaginary line has been moving north little by little the every year the last few years. Same as the winter weather its migrating north it seems and we are getting the typical southern michigan weather.

Have you noticed any thing similar in your part of NY?
edit on 12-12-2012 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Toronto here... yeah no Snow, it did snow for like 2 hours couple of weeks ago, but it didn;t last too long, it disappeared within minutes.

Well, if you look back, we been losing snow every winter.

I can remember snow build up to the height of my school doors, school cancelled of course back in 1999. Now ill be surprised if my boots are completely covered.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Saint John?
Yeah it's been raining a lot, it snowed, but quickly got rained away.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

I'm in southern Québec, and we've had a few tornadoes in the last years and we never got that before. Only high winds mostly during fall.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
So far, it's all quite on the Midwestern front too. Missouri has been dry as heck this year and no snow I've seen in this area. Not a flake...altho someone said there was a flurry a few weeks ago. I dunno...Must have slept through that raging storm. err... This isn't good... I mean it's turning to mid-December and I swear, I've been annoyed at having to wear a flannel shirt to school at night.....it's been so unusual this year.

With the exception of two days this past week, I've had T-shirts by day and a light flannel at night.....all winter thus far. Often, not even the flannel needed at night and more Tshirts then too.

This isn't how it's supposed to be........not with all the other "Once every 100 years or once every 500 year" events happening in the last 2-3 month period. Even an optimist has to wonder eventually.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Just be happy youre not getting the snow fall from 2 years ago.

If I recall correctly, the NE area of the US and Canada had several snow storms with 2+ feet of snow.

Power was out for weeks and people's roofs and homes were collapsing from the weight of the snow.

edit on 12-12-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

The weather is about a month and a half late. And it seems like the tardiness is progressing a little more every year.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Winter gets in late, but summer gets in sooner now, too. Last year, there we two harvests of some things, but they weren't as great as what we are used to see in one.

I think we are losing our winter.

The em poles are moving away faster, we are now ( solar system ) in a bubble of em that will last for 2000 years... That has to have an impact somewhere...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Odd, some of this stuff makes me go hmmm...???

In march we had high 70s low 80s (21-26 Celsius) for a short span and the uv index was really high I got sun burned while fishing in MARCH!!!

The drought hit us hard this year as well and my favorite river to fish on in the spring was way low due to no spring melt off. It was about 3-4 feet (1-1.2 meters) lower than what it usually was that time of year. The ground was very dry for the crops all years too. I saw only a hand full of healthy fields this year. Spring melt is a big part of that.
edit on 12-12-2012 by CitizenJack because: typo

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join