It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Shocking' State Collusion On Finucane Murder by 'British Government'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Most Nationalists in Northern Ireland have known this for a while. I find it laughable that the government claims that no British government minister knew what was going on.

Pat Finucane represented high profile republicans including IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands and was at the peak of his career when he was murdered in front of his wife and children.

'Shocking' State Collusion On Finucane Murder
edit on 12-12-2012 by Lady_Tuatha because: typo

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

It was a war against terrorism (from the British perspective). Normal rules generally go out of the window in such conflicts - just look at all the dirty underhand tactics we discover weekly in this current "war on terror".

It doesn't excuse these actions but context is everything. One way of fighting terror is to use terror tactics yourself. I have to say though, i do not think things like this would have been sanctioned (officially or unofficially) if it wasn't for the Brighton bombing - that action took the shackles off.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

It was collusion like this which enforced people's distrust of the british government, can you blame them? This is just one case, there is many many more. Could you imagine a solicitor in London being gunned down by the government just for doing his job?

I am glad the truth is finally starting to come out.

We are looking toward a more peaceful time here.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I also wish for proper peace and integration in Northern Ireland. The democratic process is the only way forward, along with grass roots movements - for example, never underestimate the power of football! I read a great article a while back (will link if i can find it again) about Catholic and Protestant boys being brought together to play football, forcing them to mix - and it seemed to be working.

Back to this though, it isn't a surprise but equally it isn't that shocking. I would be outraged if this sort of thing was still going on but given the period, it seems understandable to me. Not right or correct but understandable - if that makes sense?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Not really shocking to anyone over here either.

There is some great programs here which get young people to integrate more, I went on one years ago where they sent a bunch of us to Montreal for a couple of months to work and live together, was great fun and everyone got along great. It isnt the young people that is the problem, it is the older people on both sides who are still bitter and bringing up their children with the same views, the problem needs tackled on both sides, it is only a very small minority now that wants to keep things going, the majority of people here want peace.

new topics

top topics

join