It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American date formation makes no sense.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Ok I love you guys and your strange quirks, but one thing bugs me is your date formation. It makes no sense.

So let's start with a memorable date. 9/11/2001. Now you call this day September 11th. But we would call that day the 9th of November.

It works like this. The day, the month the year. That makes sense. Not, the month, the day, the year. That makes no sense.

Surely the first thing you need to know is the day. Not the month. The month is secondary to the day. Once you know the day then you can find out the month and finally the year. That is logical no?

Who came up with you illogical date formation and why do you let it continue?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

It's our revenge for the metric system and that whole pounds, quid, pence, hapenny mess that we're still trying to understand even after the Euro came along.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Oh and "fortnight". Take THAT fortnight!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
So let's start with a memorable date. 9/11/2001. Now you call this day September 11th. But we would call that day the 9th of November.

im scratching my head on this. why didnt you say " the 11th of September" instead of pick an arbitrary date after saying september 11th? time zones arent that different.

and to your topic, the month is more important because each month has one name. every month contains numbers that can be attributed to most months. you can say " my birthday is the 13th" and assume you mean tomorrow in the month of december. but if you meant july you would be considered weird.

now, if you say your birthday is in july we'd at least have an idea what time of year its in.

but the simpler answer is its semantics. why do you call an apartment a "flat" or a truck a "lorry"? now thats weird

edit on 12/12/2012 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Oh and "fortnight". Take THAT fortnight!

or referring to weight as "stone".

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
We have a compulsion to be different from our old Mum.
We dance to a wild, free, tune, unfettered by senseless convention and social constraint. We do it our way!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
ALUMI-NI-UM!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway.... Canada uses DMY but i work in company which follow American Date format because they are established in the States.

So its MDY...

DMY make sense, ascending order.

Just like Celsius....and Kilometer....

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Well we use that format because that's what we inherited from you all!

Then you all changed and we didn't.

top topics

join