"Royal prank call" radio station has to compensate the nurse's family? I don't think so.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I felt quite strongly about the the foolishness and lack of respect of the two dj's in the beginning....and whilst I still do feel this about the prank.....To me it as become obvious that the two DJ's have just become scapegoats for the bigger picture.
It seems the prank call was pre-recorded and the go ahead to air it was made by the legal team and more than one boss of the station. Where are the people within the station and it's legal teams who approved this prank to be aired? I haven't seen anyone come forward to accept this responsibility....so far it looks like the pair of DJ's are the public face of this prank gone wrong....but what about the others whose job it was to decide whether to air it and as such was their responsibility and not the DJ's?

No one knows the mental state of the nurse in question prior to the prank......but we do know that the decision to air the prank meant that the two nurses involved came under global scrutiny and where the laughing stock of the world for being "taken in" by this prank.....and perhaps more hard to swallow, had their credibility questioned in such a public and global way. I don't suppose as a nurse that's anything she had ever thought she would have to suffer and signed up for.

I think we have to remember that as a nurse she didn't actually break any codes of conduct by transferring a call......

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

I don't think it's a question of her being defined by her job. I thinks it's more a question of losing your job, and your ability to get another job in the same field ever again. With children to feed and a competing job market it would have been very hard for this woman to find sustainable work.

Not to mention forevermore being known as that lady that screwed up that time.

So I'll repeat...and after all that you think taking your life is the solution ? Maybe she was then counting on the fact that if she kills herself, that someone will setup a foundation to feed her children that are now motherless.

There is no angle from which I can condone or understand suicide. Life is hard. Sometimes you've been dealt a #ty hand. But that's it. That's life.

Committing suicide over losing a job and leaving hungry children behind you will never be a solution for anything...ever. Only more problems, at least for the children. The only person that has now been let of the hook is the person that committed the suicide. The burden is on the children and the family now.

It was a chicken sh** and a stupid move...end of story.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dorkfish87

Why do people even care about these self proclaimed royals? Diana was the last one worth her weight, the rest are just glorified welfare recipients.

Please explain how they are welfare recipients?

They receive money from the Civil List for performing their duties, kind of like pay, and in their own right they are amongst the wealthiest in the country. How does that make them welfare recipients?

As far as the 'prank' goes it was not thought out. The possible ramifications were not considered, and whilst the radio station could probably not have foreseen the result, someone has taken their life because of it which is very sad for her family.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

So I'll repeat...and after all that you think taking your life is the solution ? Maybe she was then counting on the fact that if she kills herself, that someone will setup a foundation to feed her children that are now motherless.

There is no angle from which I can condone or understand suicide. Life is hard. Sometimes you've been dealt a #ty hand. But that's it. That's life.

Committing suicide over losing a job and leaving hungry children behind you will never be a solution for anything...ever. Only more problems, at least for the children. The only person that has now been let of the hook is the person that committed the suicide. The burden is on the children and the family now.

It was a chicken sh** and a stupid move...end of story.

Whether you or I can understand or not YOU should realise that we are not all the same and your judgement of this poor woman and her view on the situation is harsh and unfeeling. You are NOT her, you are NOT inside her head and you CANNOT understand how she felt.

Tell me do you have the same attitude towards mental illness. How do you know she was not suffering from depression?

Personally I think you have no place in passing judgement on this poor woman based on YOUR values, which are not hers.

edit on 12/12/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

I think we have to remember that as a nurse she didn't actually break any codes of conduct by transferring a call......

Yes, and that's why you have to wonder, why would you commit suicide over it, and not just that, but leave your children without a mother.

I guess she wouldn't have killed herself if it were my girlfriend that was pregnant at her hospital. But, since it's Kate...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

YOUR values, which are not hers.

So life is not sacred? Unique? These are my values?

okidoki doctor.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
reply to post by Merriman Weir

You can dance around it and "understand" all you want.

No job is worth your life. And what a sad life it is...defined by your job. so without her job, this soul/person is worth nothing ?

Well, in our Western civilisation, without a job you're nothing. A target for the media to label 'lazy' and a 'scrounger' and a parasite on society. Without a job, you can barely engage in society as, without money, you have nothing.

I wish it wasn't the case, but it is, sadly.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Why do people insist on judging someone with a suicidal mind, who probably isn't thinking very rationally at the time.....by acceptable, rational way's of standards!?.
That's the whole deal with irrational thinking ...you aren't able to rationalize it! But it doesn't stop some from trying!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
As I said before, it's sad whether you agree with her actions or not. It isn't our place to say whether or not her choice was right. You and I lack the authority to do so.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

First I sincerely hope that you do not ever have any mental illness in your family since you are not in my opinion capable of understanding.

I had a very good friend once. He was a successful businessman £1,000,000+ T/o business 40 years ago (much money then) and doing well. He had a very beautiful wife (my secretary) and a lovely son.

One day he killed himself. I have no idea why he did that. His son then took his own life and not long after his wife did the same. 40 years later I shake my head in disbelief and I do not understand why this family destroyed itself.

Yes life is sacred, but you have to understand that people who are suffering from mental illness/depression/etc are not looking at the same values at us. You cannot force your view of the sanctity of life on them. To do so is to take the stand of the Church where suicides were not buried in the churchyard and were deemed to go to Hell for their enormous sin.

That is wrong.

Someone should have seen to it that the woman got care. It was fairly obvious from the start that this was going to have some serious results - at least loss of her job, although I consider that unreasonable.

You need to learn a little empathy. Sanctity has no meaning when the balance of the mind is disturbed and pontificating about it is harsh and unfeeling.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dorkfish87

You know...people kill themselves over even much crazier things. Girlfriend left him and such. I don't need to be an authority on girlfriends to call that a stupid move. And I feel it is my right as a human being to point it out. It is also their right not to accept my observation, and still kill themselves.

You all might wanna stay neutral on this on...but I call it stupid. Anything in life can be amended and corrected if there is a will to do it. Killing yourself is only the easy way out. I don't like quitters.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Only started reading your post, but stopped:

First I sincerely hope that you do not ever have any mental illness

Are you saying that his woman had a mental illness?

Maybe I missed that part. If she was mentally ill, then she shouldn't have been working in a hospital.

I'm not mocking all suicides. I'm saying this one is stupid. Unless you have some info that the woman was mentally ill, your point is off topic.
edit on 12-12-2012 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

The simple fact that she took her own life under these circumstances should be enough to tell you that she had a mental condition. Depression is a mental illness, despite that fact that you or I might shrug it off and say "pull your socks up", and can affect people very differently. Some get through it, some turn to the drink, some kill themselves but NONE of them shrug their shoulders and consider themselves quitters. Tough guys like you and me can take it on the chin and just move on, can't we, but one day a chink in the armour will appear and something will get to you or to me and we will NOT be so rational about it.

Oh don't worry I have been there done that as far as judging people who are quitters, but what I am trying to get across to you is that you cannot always tell. We don't know how she felt or how she viewed the impending doom of losing her job. Just because our view of the world says that quitting is for losers does not mean that others see it the same way.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I have no dispute with your opinion man. But you and another poster are now vigorously claiming mental illness, obviously, since she killed her self. So everybody that commits suicide is mentally ill? Because all I see is that she worked there for 4 years, and was respected and admired by her peers.

If there is mention of this illness, feel free to link it. I may have missed that.

Feeling depressed does not equal mental illness. The thing is...if this person committed a murder under the same set of circumstances...you would have been all over her. But since she murdered herself...there is an aura of "understanding" and "sympathy" around it.

I simply do not subscribe to this. Should feel sympathy for the man who has recently killed his girlfriend and than took his own life in front of spectators, claiming hard life and the fact that she left him few days ago. I his mind these are reasons enough. He wasn't proclaimed mentally ill. But a murderer.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

My mother lives opposite this family in Southmead, Bristol.
We find it odd that did she not work in a maternity wing in Bristol?
We have plenty. Why chose to live in London away from your family?
She would still have to pay rent on an nhs flat.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LILY9

Is this question for real?

Millions of people work in one place and live somewhere else. This is especially the case with many NHS workers. There is absolutely nothing strange about someone living in Bristol and working in London. I know someone who commutes from Newcastle to London every day (refuses to move amongst the soft southern types, as he puts it).

ETA:

I would add that the King Edward Hospital has a very good reputation (or possibly had!) and would therefore look very good on any nurses CV.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

So everybody that commits suicide is mentally ill?

Did I not quote the case of my good friend. Respected businessman, well liked and with many friends and very successful. You CANNOT judge on outward appearance.

I would say that there are few if any that commit suicide who are balanced but there may be exceptions and I can think of some circumstances but they do not relate to this case.

If there is mention of this illness, feel free to link it. I may have missed that.

Feeling depressed does not equal mental illness.

Have a read of this: Symptoms-of-depression

The world is not so black and white. I would hazard a guess that you are relatively young and not an ancient old fart like me. I have seen depression get at people. It is NOT rational and in some cases you just would not know.

Feeling depressed is NOT the same as suffering from depression. I kind of knew you would say that. What you are talking about is feeling down in the dumps, unhappy, grieving etc. These are not symptoms of mental illness but clinical depression is a mental illness and you would not necessarily spot it in someone you did not know well.

The thing is...if this person committed a murder under the same set of circumstances...you would have been all over her. But since she murdered herself...there is an aura of "understanding" and "sympathy" around it.

I simply do not subscribe to this.

She did not murder herself, she took her own life. Such is not possible. Murder is the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another. I consider that this also applies in he war scenario.

Should feel sympathy for the man who has recently killed his girlfriend and than took his own life in front of spectators, claiming hard life and the fact that she left him few days ago. I his mind these are reasons enough. He wasn't proclaimed mentally ill. But a murderer.

It is a very fine line. I would not consider the taking of his ex-girlfriend's life and then his own to be the act of a rational mind. I personally would consider him to clearly be mentally ill but the judicial system cannot wreak it's ritual murder on a mentally ill person and thus in certain countries the judgement of murder prevails.

I would have no sympathy for him, but again you have missed the object of the sympathy here. It is sad that this woman took her own life. I have sympathy for her family. I cannot have sympathy for her as she is dead. In the instance of your example I would have sympathy for the family of his ex and for his family. I could not have sympathy for him as he is dead.

But I have said enough. I cannot make you understand. Only experience can do that.

edit on 12/12/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I used "murdered herself" as a figure of speech.

I consider men that take up arms, go to foreign countries to kill other human beings, and that not being a defensive war, mentally ill. But that's just me. The government however calls them soldiers. In my mind she is no more mentally ill than hundreds of soldiers that die each day.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by SeriousIndividual

I'd like to point out that normally in these prank situations that radio stations do. There must be consent from both sides to air the prank on the radio.
Otherwise it does not air.
But they aired it anyways. And someone committed suicide because of it.

So in a very real sense they are responsible for what happened.

That's an excellent point I hadn't considered, and it changes my opinion significantly. I'm sure I'm not the only person who hasn't considered this.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

I didn't consider them particularly guilty from the start.

The story had an unfortunate end, but the prank itself was rather harmless in my opinion. I heard/seen worse being done to people, and it ends with a laugh.

Maybe there is additional motif behind the suicide(?). I heard there was a farewell letter left to the familly, and the familly claims that there are other circumstances.

Since "the Royals" are involved...who knows

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join