It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12-12-2012 "Meteorite Crash" In Sweden (Pictures)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Very interesting. So you are saying, in your opinion, this was a meteor or a 'big fireball'?

By the way, theres no need for this type of bold writing....

I always feel its like shouting and a bit condescending. Im happy to read your opinion on what you think the witnesses may or may not have seen- you dont need to shout at me in order for me to pay attention.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I appreciate the clarity your provided. If I remember right the farthest we can see is 14 miles before the earth curves. But in this case, and to split hairs for a moment, I can safely say it landed in the Pacific Ocean (I didn't see that part). I just checked out Oahu on a map and where I was at the time, the meteorite was going from South to North, so there are a few thousands miles before Alaska or Russia.

Thanks again for pointing out the optical illusion aspect.

I hope there is follow up news to this current event; like video or pictures from the impact scene if they locate it. The chemical components of the asteroid and anything else they can learn would be awesome to share. I just hope they find it.

edit on 12-12-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
See, all those photos are fake, so it's obviously an alien/government craft. Look, you can even see the heat shield!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Triztheone

could be this one ?
(2012 XE54)

I hope NOT but if it was, we have to recalculate some trajectory of other near by objects

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireballStorm

Also, the title of this thread is rather misleading. There is no evidence of a "crash".

some witnesses say otherwise
Mystery orb crash

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KrzYma

I think there is some confusion about different events. The OP's third image is a screen capture from a video uploaded in July of this year about a "meteor" over Mexico in 2006 (as pointed out by Fireball Storm). Look at the upload date and also the intro on the video.

Your link is of a different event altogether. Maybe you have the "right" story...

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just trying to get to the bottom of it.

Also, if the people in the story you linked to heard an "explosion" that could be the sonic boom of reentry that occurs sometimes when conditions are right. Not a "crash" depicting a landfall.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I think it looks like a new toy being tested...................just joke'n...the objects coming in hot,yet there seems to be an extreme amount of illumination coming from the object?I am going to go with some type of mini-comet,possible asteroid,or ya know it could be just some space poop.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Onewhoknowsjesus because: wished to add moe commentary

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Intrptr kneels, bows... backs out of room, kneeling and bowing...

I am going to steal this line one day. That is frickity-facking HIILLLARIOUS.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

oh sorry, my mistake, was thinking we talk about Sweden and what happened yesterday

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
You know, I'm not convinced that there will be major catastrophies associated with 2012 - kind of late in the game for that - except that I have twice in recent weeks personally seen what appeared to be incoming meteorites, relatively low overhead and complete with trails of smoke and ending in small bursts as I assume they burnt out.
In 41 years, I'd never seen such a thing (the occasional shooting star does not count) and now I've seen two just over the little area I live in. Plus all these mysterious fireballs in the sky and explosions on the ground being reported here on ATS...
I just wonder if we (the earth) might be entering some sort of debris field or some such and if so then might we potentially be in some serious trouble? Because if the frenquency of this type of event increases to even just a few per week or per day, how long would it be until an object lands in a densely populated area? It wouldn't have to be very big at all to be catastrophic.
Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KrzYma

oh sorry, my mistake, was thinking we talk about Sweden and what happened yesterday

No apologies. I think you may have the right event. Just that op photos were misleading and may have caused some disagreement.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunda

Very interesting. So you are saying, in your opinion, this was a meteor or a 'big fireball'?

If we are talking about the event that occurred over Sweden (not the accompanying photographs that the OP posted), then yes, I believe the reports posted are consistent with it being a big meteor or fireball.

There have been many such events in the past, and it is not unusual for meteorites to be found after such an event - sonic booms are usually a good indication that something may have reached the ground.

People who are in general not used to seeing large meteors and fireballs often make reports saying that it did not look like a meteor, or describing the objects as a "UFO", "orb", "firework", "comet", "missile", etc, but a vaster proportion of reports also describe the same object as a meteor/fireball, and when freshly fallen meteorites are found afterwards, I'd say that there is little doubt that the object in question was a meteor.

There may not be any meteorites (yet) from this event, and there is no guarantee that any will ever be found (depending on the terrain and quality of witness reports meteorites are not always easy to find), so why should this event be any different to many others in past history?

Originally posted by Thunda

By the way, theres no need for this type of bold writing....

I always feel its like shouting and a bit condescending. Im happy to read your opinion on what you think the witnesses may or may not have seen- you dont need to shout at me in order for me to pay attention.

My apologies. I did not mean to shout, but merely to stress certain key words and phrases.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Nice catch OP. I read on my email from extinction protocol that a meteor passed by the earth yesterday or today and north Korea launched their so called satellite into orbit. My chips say, u.s. gov shot that sucker down.
Coincidence maybe..who knows.
edit on 12-12-2012 by sylent6 because: typo

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88

I appreciate the clarity your provided. If I remember right the farthest we can see is 14 miles before the earth curves. But in this case, and to split hairs for a moment, I can safely say it landed in the Pacific Ocean (I didn't see that part).

You are assuming that if a meteor is seen apparently low down over the horizon, it must also be low down in regards to the Earth's surface, but that is not likely to be the case, since we know that meteors are usually only luminous at high altitude (10's of km even in exceptional cases), and below this the air is way too dense so meteors are slowed down so much that they are no longer emitting light.

I think you are also forgetting that Earth's atmosphere is curved (not just the horizon itself), and although the furthest we can usually see to the horizon before things disappear over the horizon is 14 miles, that 14 miles is only a near limit to how far the object might be.

Have you ever seen the Sun or Moon just on the horizon? Would you say that they must be only 14 miles away?

Consider this diagram, which although not tailored for this post, should suffice.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/95efe8242439.jpg[/atsimg]

To the observer "A" a meteor might look like it's low down above the surface, but it could easily be 80-90 km above it at it's lowest luminous point!

Likewise, its also virtually impossible to judge the angle of entry of a meteor accurately, so the same meteor seen by observer "B" in the diagram might look like it was flying upwards and out of the atmosphere, but ceasing to be luminous high overhead.

A meteor seen close to the horizon will actually be much further away than if it was seen overhead. You might like to have a look at the diagram here to get a better idea of how far meteors are when seen on the horizon: The Meteor Meniscus: Meteor Distance verses Meteor Zenith Angle

I can't stress how deceptive meteors and fireballs can be - and how much confusion they can cause to the uninitiated!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Are you guys listening? Fireball Storm is someone you should pay attention to on this subject.

I can't stress how deceptive meteors and fireballs can be - and how much confusion they can cause to the uninitiated!

Tell them what you told me one time how far a "shooting star" can travel in under a second. Might help to give some scale to sightings of fireballs by the "uninitiated".

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Korean missile test?

vvv

Lol!

Jokes aside... Sweden is much much north compared to Korea.. random area for a "missile" to float away and crash..

Its a meteorite peeps... uhh the geminid meteor shower started last night
enjoy the show !

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Triztheone

It's publicity stunt for the new Superman movie coming out next year...

Those crazy Hollywood film studios

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LoveisanArt

The satellite they sent up has already passed over Sweden at least once

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Yes very nice images. Just another long winded story of another fiery death of a meteorite.
www.spacedex.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Yes i saw this information AFTER I posted... didnt bother to edit

Thanks though

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join