It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Moon isn't shifting...Then the Earth sure is.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
With all the weird environmental happenings and theories of late, I have been trying to find some plausible evidence to support that the earth might be having an axial inclination or declination to a great degree very rapidly (a shift) or a change in our rotation around the sun. I just never thought I might find it in the moon...

To my knowledge, the phases of the moon are as follows:

So, if you were viewing a 13% full moon from earth it should look like this:

(Note the chart, this is a waning crescent)

And, as far as I know, most the world considers it the norm:

(Note the chart, waxing crescent)

Now, we all know the moon orbits the earth because of the earth's gravitational pull (I have other theories but that's for another day). Trapped, just like any other satellite, it cannot change its orientation in space, orbit or rotation for that matter. We are eternaly locked with our moon. However, in the last few months the moon has looked like this:

and

The moon phases are of skewed angles and erratic positioning! If you search for moon phases in the last few months, you will notice many variations.

So how can this be? Am I missing something here? The moon can't tilt, so does this mean the earth is rapidly tilting or rotating differently around the sun?
I'm not sure if there is some kind of phenomenoa that I am not aware of but I don't ever recall the moon looking like this in the past.

What do you guys think?

edit on 12-12-2012 by ArchaicDesigns because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
It made me wonder too.

Obviously, anomalies would be published.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The shadow the earth places on the moon has nothing to do with the earth's tilt.

Completely normal. Found some pics.

farm4.static.flickr.com...

farm4.static.flickr.com...
edit on 12-12-2012 by litterbaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArchaicDesigns
With all the weird environmental happenings and theories of late, I have been trying to find some plausible evidence to support that the earth might be tilting.

....wh...wh....what....

It's because Earth is tilted... Why would you have trouble finding evidence that the Earth is tilted..

planetariumweb.madison.k12.wi.us...
edit on 12-12-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

reply to post by litterbaux

The shadow doesn't, but the way the Earth is tilted is the reason why the crescent moon appears different to observers throughout the year.
edit on 12-12-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

You are right, this is something that is astounding about the moon. It is in orbit around the earth's tilt.

For the OP's question, the earth could be spinning wildly and the same shadow would be cast upon the moon.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Slight correction i think the moon moves two inches or so closer to the earth every year??
Not quite locked
Thats what you agt for watching You tube..............

Also the earths axis has shifted from earth quake and it wobbles as well so the zodiadal cycle repeats ....
edit on 12-12-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Thanks for the link, I was trying to find an accurate explanation on that. But, the march moon in known for the "u" crescent if the moons "horns" are all always pointing away for the sun yet both the photos in my OP are from the last couple months.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I forgot to take the earth's wobble into account. I'm just trying to determine if there is a way to calculate the possibility of the earth drastically shifting (if any) using the moon but, there are so many factors that come into play.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ArchaicDesigns

umm i have no idea what you seeing that's odd? it always does that in the winter perhaps you don't pay attention much?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

I hear where you are coming from. Yeah I do, but for some reason I just thought something to be off about it as of late, the angles are very erratic. Could just be me.

The other night for example, when the moon was rising, the crescent appeared to be 'laying down' And then the following morning it appeared to 'right-side-up'. Is that normal? Maybe I look at it too much. Lol

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Lol I hear where you are coming from on that one. Yeah I do, but for some reason I just thought something to be off about it as of late, could just be me. Maybe I look at it too much.

I did notice the moon, I don't know if that's normal... definitely not traditional... but it's something weird that others have noticed too.

I created a thread about sunrise and sunset times here on ATS

I don't know what is going on, but I was trying to see if many other people have noted the sunrise/sunset times being off.

Maybe the phenomena in both your thread and mine are caused by the same thing?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I hear where you are coming from. Yeah I do, but for some reason I just thought something to be off about it as of late, the angles are very erratic. Could just be me.

The other night for example, when the moon was rising, the crescent appeared to be 'laying down' And then the following morning it appeared to 'right-side-up'. Is that normal? Maybe I look at it too much. Lol

here's the thing about that... we only "see" the moon because it is reflecting sunlight at us right? so as we move ( because nothing is ever constant or there would be a big problemo) the shadow's cast by earth can vary depending on where on this rock your looking from.

So say
Your in the northern hemisphere in december and you are pointed away from the sun here on earth( due to the axis) but the moon is also moving around us so the reflection is going to at times move as well and can do so within a 12 hour time frame because your looking from a different place in space all together. Does that make sense.. i'm not a science girl and I can't explain it well.. not that the shadow of the earth has necessarily moved but that we have relocated from our original viewing point.

edit on 12-12-2012 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2012 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Slight correction i think the moon moves two inches or so closer to the earth every year??
Not quite locked

Also the earths axis has shifted from earth quake and it wobbles as well so the zodiadal cycle repeats ....

No.
The moon is moving away from the earth by a little over an inch every year. Not closer.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Unless these pictures are taken from the exact same location, at the exact same time of night/day, then it is perfectly normal for the crescent to appear to be in a different place.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

Originally posted by stirling
Not quite locked

No.
The moon is moving away from the earth by a little over an inch every year. Not closer.

so thats like about 1/10 of a mile in 7603 years right?

OP: to answer your question, yes the earth spins, this gives us day and night. The earth tilts, this gives us equinoxes and solstices . This is why people post threads and there are many if you use search that the moon has changed....you might not hang out with the Zeta Talkers and the Nibiru gangs so much.
edit on 12-12-2012 by racer451 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I have been fighting this one for over a year here and have known this for a decade. It's just getting worse is all. The orbit is perturbed. Period .. Now there are those who will tell you a pig is a goat and a goat an elephant. Your heart and common sense is talking to you. s/f

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

That was a very good explanation for a non-scientific girl.

However, do you think that would be the cause for different erratic angles every other day? I'm confused on this one lol I always thought the moon and I knew each other so well.
I am aware of the traditional moon phases and that the angle will change with the season and viewing point but, lately it just seems to be all over the place. There could very well be nothing wrong with the moon at all...but me brain doth thinks differently.

edit on 12-12-2012 by ArchaicDesigns because: Spelllin

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Exactly. I think most people think that the moon is in a flat orbit on it's orbital plane. Of course it is not which explains why the shadows appear differently throughout the phases.

OP, here is an illistration of what we are talking about. If the moon was fixed flat on that plane we would have a total lunar eclipse visible to most of the world once a month. There are also a few other things that can affect how the moon is percieved by us here on earth. I have not noticed anything different and I spend many nights behind my telescope eyepiece studying the Moon.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

If you look at the Moon at the same time of day/night, the angle of the horns doesn't change much. But it does appear to change as the Moon moves across the sky so if you see it as it rises one night then 4 hours later the next night you'll note a difference.

It should also be noted that for the Moon, the location on the horizon at which it rises and sets does change quite a bit from day to day. This is because the "tilt" of the Moon's orbit does not match the tilt of the Earth's axis.

edit on 12/12/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Just a correction... the moon is moving AWAY from the Earth, so its orbit is in fact shifting - ever so slightly. Beyond, the moon is doing exactly what the moon has always done.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join