It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Face to face with a Bear in the woods?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Note: I don't recommend trying this with a Grizzly, Polar Bear, or any mommy bears with cubs or during mating season.

The following is not my video but illustrates how most bears you may encounter in the wild are not a threat, and, if watched, may in fact serve as a good compass for food sources as omnivores (just like you), they'll eat lots of plants and animals where through observations you might learn a little something that could help you in a pinch far more valuable than having fresh bear meat.

Bear meat will feed you, but, if you don't know the environs, the bear itself will feed you better, more long term by watching what it eats, and testing small bits for effect and digestion response before you learn what's what.

Bears will sometimes Bluff Charge.
Watch the video.

Thus, you shouldn't feel too threatened by bears in the woods should you encounter them.

Don't by any means attempt to provoke a bear. Be confident, but not over confident.
They can be food, but they can also be more valuable in teaching you a thing or two about some food sources you might not know about but can learn through observation.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
My Grandpa Clark told me once he was picking blueberries and a bear appeared. He swatted it w/his hat and it ran away.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
My favorite animal as a small child was the Sun Bear, I guess they're still up there on the top of my list.

Also, this lady has some massive cojones.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
We have a bear that has taken down 3 cows and 2 sheep so far. this buy is blood thursty. We dont travel outside the courtyard without a firearm.

He took down a 350 lbs cow and draged it into the woods about 100yards! This bear is a monster! He's also really smart. We took the dead 350 lbs cow and dragged it into an open area with the truck to shoot the bear. late at night he dragged the dead cow back into the woods.
edit on 12-12-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
If I was in a bear-human confrontation, I'd prefer to be the bear 8>D

Still though, as kid the family was rolling along some smallish road in the Appalachians, and lo and behold there was a bunch of cars pulled over so we did too-gawking is apparently infectious. A very young, not baby but still quite young black bear was up on a tree stump and though it sounds crazy it seemed like the thing knew it had celebrity status. It was striking various poses and just generally showing off and anyone there at that time got some absolutely Grade A once in a lifetime pictures. Also, human stupidity seemed to be at a lull as no one got all that close or put any pressure on said cub. Eventually he-or-she finally figured we got as much as we deserved and off into the woods it went, with a couple peeks over it's shoulder as if to say 'dare ya'. LOL

Thanks for the post, OP!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Lovely post OP - S&F for you!

I also think it's important to note that, in your efforts to avoid angering a bear, avoid eye contact. If you find yourself in hot water despite this effort, stand on your tippy toes, put your hands in the air as high as they'll go, and get as loud as you possibly can. Bears are hierarchical learners, and this behavior conveys that you're in charge.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yes, bears will bluff charge you to see if you are a threat to them.
Last summer a gentleman was EATEN by a grizzly that was foraging on his own in Denali National Park. The bear even cached his body to finish off later because he wasn't even hungry at the moment, he was pissed the guy followed him around while he was eating!!!

www.adn.com... by-grizzly-bear-in.html#storylink=misearch

www.adn.com... tinized-in-alaska-bear.html#storylink=misearch

You have to be careful you don't get someone killed.
The only intelligent thing to do when you encounter a bear is leave the vicinity.

I have personally come face to face with a bear twice while berry picking.
The first time was a 10 foot Grizzly walking right up to me because I even entered his patch.
Have you ever been face to face with a Griz? His paw was the size of my face!!

The second time was a very small blackie, I could have whacked him and chased him off, but I was picking with my son and they could have snatched him for dinner instead.

Most people will never have that encounter. But please be careful because people have already died thinking that the bears were their friends. Sorry.
edit on 12-12-2012 by woodsmom because: spelling

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
We have had several Bear encounters over the years. none have turned out bad but easily could have. We pick Huckleberries in late July to mid August and have shared patches with Bears on occasion. They have alwas moved off when we arrived sometimes huffing and grunting at us first but we make alot of noise and they move off to the otherside of the patch or over the ridge. we are alwas armed just in case or have a Dog with us.

We have also had encounters while flyfishing. My cousin almost walked between a Sow and her Cubs once but she gave him time to slowly back away and then she gathered her 2 Cubs and ran off. Cousin had to change his shorts and clean out his waders afterward.

Had a Griz in the neiborhood while Bowhunting this year. we didnt see him but think we may have jumped him as we spooked up something BIG on a brushy mountain side and found out later that another hunter on the same ridge had killed a Bull the week before and got most of his meat out when he came back for the last load including the hide and head he found is buried about 100 yds from where he had left it. Only Griz will bury a carcass like that. We left that ridge alone after that lol.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
As I've stated before, don't try to play bluff with a Grizzly.

Additionally, if there's meat in the area, where you may be packing out a load of deer or whatever have you, or returning for another load and detect a bear, drop the meat if you have it, and let the bear have it, and the remaining carcass, unless you're prepared to add some bear meat to your pantry.

Those of you that know bears already, pretty much already know.
Bears are not your friends.

If ever there's a SHTF and people flood into the hills and wilderness; you can learn a lot from a bear by watching it - what it eats, where it finds water, the roots it digs, and anything else.

Respect the bear, but, there's no need to go killing bears unnecessarily. Most often they're not a threat to you, and you can use what they know to your advantage.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
While i haven't found any bears (yet), i do find this rather entertaining.
Snapshot Safari

Basically its a community photo hunt site using trap cameras in the serengeti. You identify all the animals you see in the 'capture' shots as part of a conservation and tracking effort.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Pretty good info, though that lady is annoying the crap out of that bear.

All you have to do is make some noise, though, and most bears will avoid you completely. It's when you surprise them that they get angry. As you stated, folks out in the forest need to understand how bears act and think - knowledge is your best survival tool.

Thanks for posting.

edit on 12/15/12 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a song for running into that bear
www.youtube.com...
yes its the theme to grizzly park

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
being from bear country (Montana Mountains)
I've run into quite a few out in the woods..

good rule of thumb when you realize you are around
a bear.

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT! Look around the whole
area for cubs, while most bears are mild temper
a moma bear is a different critter.

If you notice cubs SLOWLY back away do not run or make
fast movements.

I have been charged by 2 bears on different occasions, in this
case your best bet is to wave your arms in the air and make
as much noise as you possibly can, I even resorted to cussing
the bear out when it was about 15' from me... scared, heck ya
but do not let the bear know this... STAND YOUR GROUND
if they charge and you back away, odds are they will not stop
until they are on top of you. As far as the old saying to play
dead, well i cant say for sure, i have never had a bear get
me down yet so i have not had to try that one.. and not sure
i ever want to.

I have encountered black bear as well as griz in the wild, once
while camping, i unzipped the flap on the tent and though to
myself.. hmm i dont remember the tent being that close to the
brush... then i realized that was not brush, it was a griz standing
outside the tent door munching on some berries on a short
bush. I slowly and calmly zipped the tent back up, so if it turned
around it would not see me directly, and then slowly and quietly
moved to the back of the tent and sat, after a min or two the bear
slowly moved on. Which i was very glad of. *LOL*

There is only one time in the wild i was very worried about a bear,
i am not sure what the heck was going on or why, but a griz was about
30' away when i topped a hill, and i saw it and froze to see what its
mood was and reaction would be, the bear was pacing back and forth
in about a 10 foot section. I watched it do this about 4x and puzzled
me, i have never seen that behavior in the wild before.
BUT i slowly backed away keeping my eyes focused on the bear,
(not its eyes, do not stare down a bear, they dont like that)
and got my butt outa there...

ahhh the good ol day's.. now due to health i am pretty much
stuck in doors... i do miss the hikes in the hill's... amazing
what you can see when you spend the day with nature.

I was never really scared of the bears, this is because i never
go to the woods without my pistol at least. So i knew if i had to
i could stop it, but i just prefer not to shoot a bear unless its bear
season and i have a tag..(which so far i have never managed to
get a bear in bear season, always see them before or after the season
starts or ends.)

Like all critters you can learn a lot from bears and get some
entertainment. On one of my hard drive's, i have a picture i took
of a griz, that was sprawled out laying on its belly with all
4 leg's out to its side and it was resting its head on a small rock,
it was what you would think of when you see a bear skin rug..
it was comfe just chillin and enjoying life...

Most bears will not pay you much attention in the woods,
they know they can take you any time they wish and you
do not pose much of a threat to them, use your head
and you will be fine most of the time.
edit on 23-12-2012 by severdsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I used to live on Kodiak island, in Alaska. Needless to say, bears were fairly commonly encountered. Most of the time, as long as you calmly left the area, you were fine. The best defense was always having an exit strategy that was impassable to the bears. Usually, this was a steep hill or cliff. They sucked at these, and wouldn't bother, so it was an easy escape route. Luckily, only had to test this twice, but it worked well both times.

A pistol would simply make a Kodiak bear mad...so firearms weren't exactly the security blanket for them....

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

What are you talking about?? You're taking a bear out of his natural harsh foraging-for-food environment and putting him in someone's backyard and then comparing? That's not a true depiction, characterization or representation of a 'wild' bear. The bears you're showing are semi-domestic due to us encroaching on their land so they've learnt to adapt and co-exist.

Wild bears attack because they are hungry or defending. Get real.

edit on 8-1-2013 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

That woman in your video has .......of steel !!!!!!

Here's a video that was talked about on the news yesterday, strange coincidence.

This guy is extremely lucky to be in a cage. A hungry polar bear would eat him or that woman for breakfast...

I wish I never get face to face with a bear, whether it'd be brown, black or white. Nah ha...

That op should have a disclaimer to not try that at home, no matter what bear. Seriously.

edit on 8-1-2013 by SonoftheSun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I've had many encounters with blk bears in Colorado, they were constantly at our house 3-4 days a week during peak foraging season. The most scared I've ever been in my life was the night I found myself about 6-8ft from a mama and her three cubs which were in the tree, mom on the ground. Thankfully she went up the tree instead of attacking me, I would have had no chance in hell if she had chosen to go after me. I will say this, they're beyond lightening quick. I went in and got my camera, she didn't like that one bit and she let me know it. The power in her growl would have sent Linda Blair a running. After that I always packed when taking out the trash at night, although as fast as they are I'd probably have better luck throwing the gun at them, then shooting them. Awesome powerful creatures not to be under estimated.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Bears are interesting animals, they're smart, curious and very adept at finding food sources. I've encountered black bears and never had an issue, I slowly back away and maintain eye contact (I also keep a 329pd .44 mag on my hip in the woods). The bears here have been accustomed to seeing humans as food sources because people feed them, thus their natural fear of humans is gone. This isn't good for humans or bears and could lead to an avoidable death of a bear or person.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Maintaining eye contact is a good tip...you don't want to look away as you are leaving the area.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Serious? Maintaining eye contact with a bear is NOT good advice, only going to get you killed quicker. Very curious why you guys would think this and where you learned it from?

top topics

join