It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian sitar virtuoso Ravi Shankar dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

www.usatoday.com

NEW DELHI (AP) — Ravi Shankar, the sitar virtuoso who became a hippie musical icon of the 1960s after hobnobbing with the Beatles and who introduced traditional Indian ragas to Western audiences over a 10-decade career, died Tuesday. He was 92.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Very sad but only because of his departure. At 92 years, this man lead a great life. A master of the sitar, great philosophy and personality, and very charitable. It was good to have a man like Mr. Shankar on this Earth.

Not much else can be sad, save for paying respect. I'm sure he's up there playing with George right now.

www.usatoday.com

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Aw, that's a bummer.

I remember, about 35 years ago, listening to The Concert for Bangladesh for the first time and saying "oh geez, not this crap" when Shankar came on, but eventually realizing the beauty of what he was playing.

One can imagine Ravi and George, jamming up in heaven... that would be a time!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

www.usatoday.com

NEW DELHI (AP) — Ravi Shankar, the sitar virtuoso who became a hippie musical icon of the 1960s after hobnobbing with the Beatles and who introduced traditional Indian ragas to Western audiences over a 10-decade career, died Tuesday. He was 92.

What a difference this man made, in the world's musico-cultural scene.
The Beatles were the ones to introduce the Western pop-music world to alternative/ethnic melodies and rythms and recognized this man's talent enough to incorporate his indigenous music into their popular themes.

Thank you Ravi: 'Ethno-Pop' music has become a major part of our Western music culture since your presence was made known to us.

You are a master of your craft! We will never forget you.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

Very sad but only because of his departure. At 92 years, this man lead a great life. A master of the sitar, great philosophy and personality, and very charitable. It was good to have a man like Mr. Shankar on this Earth.

Not much else can be sad, save for paying respect. I'm sure he's up there playing with George right now.

www.usatoday.com

WHOA...

I have been having extra weird synchronicitys lately... I went on a random youtube journey, which somehow found me looking up John lennon videos in a conspiracy mind set, because some alex jones thing with manchurian candidates, based on the batman shooting, which I accidently heard while listening to Jesse Ventura talk about true TV messing up the show "conspiracy theory" on purpose...

which led me to think about John Lennon and George, and how they were such awesome people and what could I do today to honor their memory, never realising until later (just now) it's near the anniversary of Johns death. I then from there started playing every George Harrison song I could find...

I listened to this album titled Living in the Material World The first song was played over and over.. It's called, Give me Love (give me peace on Earth)

Then I got into the Indian side of george's music so I Obviously had to play within you without you.. Here is a nice video of that showing imagery and George learning to play Sitar from Ravi Shankar..

I then went on to play a couple more Ravi Shankar songs.. Then I found this interview I have somehow never watched.. IT was called George Harrison's last concert
This spontaneous playing at the end of an interview WITH Ravi Shankar as well, was the last public performance George ever gave...

[color=magenta] So all day after that I have been stuck listening to Sitar music from Ravi Shankar, and Thinking about death, and one of George's quotes: "Everything else can wait, but the search for God cannot wait, and love one another." [color=magenta]

In all of this the Irony, the sweet perfection, that I was enjoying Ravi's Music as he died, while thinking about death..

This thread is the first I heard about this.. I am not shocked though. My life does this to me.

R.I.P. Ravi Shankar. I hope I have honored your memory today.

edit on 12/12/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

I really Love this one.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
RIP and thanks for providing the soundtrack to those hundreds of post-pub vindaloos I enjoyed in my 20's

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

A very lovely tune =)

top topics

join