It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesn’t Anyone Think It’s Just Really Cool That We Will Witness A Once In Every 5126 Years Event

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by samstone11
reply to post by wondermost

" reducing the Dec. 21st of Dec to nothing but a historical footnote. "

Isn't that just what it is? the end of a 13000 Mayan year cycle.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I used to think such things were cool.

Not any more.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
That's how how they felt back then but about they're current events.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be cool if we as a species decided that if we make it through this December 21st thing, that we're all going to mellow the hell out and stop with all of the violence and religious waring? Wouldn't it be cool to see our planet decide to devote the military resources to science and technology instead? If anything, that's my one wish. We've been a species that loves killing and destruction. Our past is littered with it. If only there were a way to change everyone's minds. Imagine what this world could be like if we all got along and chose science and innovation as our focus instead of religious wars and destruction in general.

I don't think it'll ever happen, but I dream of it.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Ceratinly most of the things OP mentioned are very interesting and qualify as "firsts," as far as we know. The pace of change has also been breathtaking. My Grandmother lived to be 100. When she was born in the 1800's the primary method of travel was horse & buggy, though admittedly there were trains. By the time she dies we had been to the Moon. That's pretty incredible.

But I don't see the Mayan calendar as anything really special for a continuous civilization that lasted as long as it did. That's nice that they were good astronomers. Really, we should give credit where it is due. Their civilization was rather localized, lacking the reach of the Incas, to start, but also the Persians, the Chinese, or the Roman. And it's largely gone.

The number of the year, in any calendar, is arbitrary. The span of a year itself is not, of course, nor is the month or the day, but the actual number of the year is based on a culture's own precepts, and even that varies. We did not start using the A.D. system until several hundred years after the alleged birth of Jesus, and we even know that is probably off by several years; even the Pope admits to this.

Really, pick a calendar, any calendar. It's 4709 in the Chinese calendar, 5113 in the Kaliyuga calendar. Surely the Chinese and Hindu civilizations had as competent astronmers plus a vastly more widespread civilization than the Mayan!

The only reason anyone is paying attention to the Mayan calendar, IMO, is because it's a New Age cutural meme that began before the "Hanrmonic Convergence" (when nothing happened). Outside of a few adherents, the date itself has no real meaning.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Your grandmother gets first prize. Every once in a while, we read about a centenarian, but IMO it is impossible to see the world through their eyes. As a young adult at 20 years old, what did she know about what to expect at 30, 50, 90, etc? As fast as it all went by it may have become a blur, but WOW!!!

So, if Dec. 21 is a "dud" and we live to be 100, do you think the world will change at all in the next 50 or so years (he said sarcastically)?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Yes I'm one of the old fuddy duddies with kids approaching thirty and awaiting this date 21 12 12 (as we put it in the UK) for quite some time. Not with all out belief but certainly an open mind and came to the conclusion that if I was around to witness the end of my own species, well it would be a privilege to do so. Infact it was researching the Mayan prophecy that led me to ATS.

I have wondered that if this date truly marks the point we move into a new age, could it not be some event such as a new discovery or invention, scientific, medical, whatever, which will have far reaching effects. Something that we will probably know nothing about for a long time. Or some kind of point of no return, not necessarily leading to disaster.

Just because nothing seems to happen doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychoparrot

how about this use of HIV to cure lymphoma, or was it leukemia? the terrible nightmare we all at some point sweated about is now a life saver? i'm quite curious to see where this one goes!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It would be even funnier if something more horrific than skyline occurred. Id definitely be rolling on the ground lmao

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I've seen lies become the truth and truth become lies.
I've watched history change in front my eyes.

The 1980's was the pinnacle of society.
Today hardly anyone practices sobriety.

The desert I'm in is a bed full of thorns.
The nikes I'm wearing have given me corns.

But one thing's for certain - this world is a school.
Now let's draw the curtains and all feel like fools.

Thanks for inspiring me OP.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
The one thing that would save the world would be free energy. After that, things could fall into place.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Maybe nothing will happen "specifically" but fantastic and rapid change in everyone is already being seen. I see it all the time and wonder why others don't--some do!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I believe it is safe to say most of the readers of this post were alive to experience the Y2K drama. As I personally recall, there wasn’t much concern about the world completely imploding, but it was generally feared our technology was about to be toast.

Extending that degree of perspective hyperbole, for better or worse, we are:
• In surviving Y2K, we were here as the calendar put three zeros behind the front number for the first time in 1,000 years
• Experiencing the historic first presidency of a black person in America,
• Witnessing the proliferation and ubiquitous presence of the internet/world wide web,
• Witnessing an explosion of other technological wonders from the microwave oven to the LHC and everything between
• Less than 50 years from the first step on the moon (or so we have been told)
• Possibly the first generation to witness travel to other planets
• Unfortunately, one of the first generations in human history with the tools to exact self-imposed extinction upon ourselves
• Present as the world’s population passes the 7 BILLION mark
• Only a bit past the second deadliest earthquake on record which occurred in Haiti in 2010
• Feel free to insert your favorite additional trivia here…..

I have not been able to fully accept the gloom and doom of Dec. 21 beyond whatever we create ourselves through the act of self-fulfilling prophecy. I have no doubt that whether the world ends or not, there will be some pretty ugly things going on up to and including that day as we sprint to cross the line in the sand. We don’t have to be psychic to see the potential for a lot of damage done in such a manner.

My point is, isn’t it kind of neat to be here when such a grand anniversary passes for the Mayan people? They were masters at their craft and regardless of the full, true meaning of this date, it is incredibly significant. In fact, given a generous average lifespan over the last 5,000 years of roughly 40, then this only happens once in every 125 life spans, but in actuality only once in every 500 - 20 year generations!!!

Hopefully nothing extinction level will happen on the 21st, but most of us won’t be in a position to stop it regardless. So, is it possible to step back and appreciate it for the historical value alone and hope for the best?

Just a rambling thought…….thankfully my brain only works like this if I’m awake or asleep.

It is an honour to be alive at this time, it's an honour to be alive at any time

But, in the light of the fact that more calendars have been found that post-date the Doomsday one, i cannot believe that anything is going to happen.

QV.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm a bit dissapointed with growing up in that new generation that spends 6 hours a day on facebook and is convinced the world is ending in 8 days. But a lot of good has come from the last several years, too. My personal favourite being Curiosity landing on Mars.. And so what if the world actually does end? Is this proof that people can tell the future? Will only half the world end? 3/4ths? The universe will keep on growing and some other planet with a just as #ty facebook will be freaking out because the world is ending on evlewt ytnewt tsrif ytnewt rebmeced.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

reply to post by schuyler

Your grandmother gets first prize. Every once in a while, we read about a centenarian, but IMO it is impossible to see the world through their eyes. As a young adult at 20 years old, what did she know about what to expect at 30, 50, 90, etc? As fast as it all went by it may have become a blur, but WOW!!!

So, if Dec. 21 is a "dud" and we live to be 100, do you think the world will change at all in the next 50 or so years (he said sarcastically)?

If you believe Ray Kurzweil, things are about to go crazy. (Love your Tom Cruise mouse.)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I would be honored to witness (insert doom n gloom event) but I'm certainly not holding my breath. All the build up is kinda fun, even though predictions are usually bs.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Why? why? why? do all of you believe in this?
in a way the simplest answer is the best
in and around 43.AD Ceasar , the guy you might have heard of, roman empire ring a bell?
he invented the (drum roll) ..........................LEAP YEAR
dec 21 2012 has already happened as far as the Myans ( who could not predict their own demise) are concerned
now don't get me wrong, I once feared this date.
But please use simple logic, when thinking about this date.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wondermost
I remember being a very young kid(between 10 and 12) and listening wild eyed while my best friends older brother told us about the small group of men that controlled the world, ghosts, aliens, and the mayan end date of december the 21st 2012. After we had this typical older brother scare-fest my best friend and i continued to discuss the matter. I did the math and realized i would be thirty years old when our terrible fate fell upon us, and i thought to myself "thirty years old is old enough! I won't care if it ends that year! We will have a huge party for sure!"

I sit here typing this and can't believe i am thirty years old, and that "fatefull" day is just nine days away. Being happily married to a beautiful, wonderful woman who happens to truly be my best friend definitely changes my "care" for if it all goes south in just over a week.

I am thankful for holding on to that memory, as it is somewhat of a mile marker on how far i have come in my life, and how much further i would like to travel, if I am lucky enough.

And now the floodgates of my memory have opened. I absolutely love peering back through my short, yet full consciousness.

That was a beautiful post brother

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by samstone11

We are very unlikely to witness anything, because there is no event to "witness". It's just a calendar thing, and there are as many calendars as there are/were peoples.

HOWEVER, speaking of calendars.... There IS an event that has never ever ever happened, in the entire history of the unverse.
You are witnessing it right NOW.
Whenever and wherever that NOW is taking place.

edit on 13-12-2012 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mypan
I wish everybody goodluck on 21-12-2012.

We are also the generation privileged to witness the use of steel-melting kerosene and [insert whatever you want].

All the best !!!

We are also privileged to witness the mystery of physics when a piece of metal seem to have an unexpected mind of its own. As a matter of fact it has become a telling theory.....

edit on 13/12/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join