It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesn’t Anyone Think It’s Just Really Cool That We Will Witness A Once In Every 5126 Years Event

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I believe it is safe to say most of the readers of this post were alive to experience the Y2K drama. As I personally recall, there wasn’t much concern about the world completely imploding, but it was generally feared our technology was about to be toast.

Extending that degree of perspective hyperbole, for better or worse, we are:
• In surviving Y2K, we were here as the calendar put three zeros behind the front number for the first time in 1,000 years
• Experiencing the historic first presidency of a black person in America,
• Witnessing the proliferation and ubiquitous presence of the internet/world wide web,
• Witnessing an explosion of other technological wonders from the microwave oven to the LHC and everything between
• Less than 50 years from the first step on the moon (or so we have been told)
• Possibly the first generation to witness travel to other planets
• Unfortunately, one of the first generations in human history with the tools to exact self-imposed extinction upon ourselves
• Present as the world’s population passes the 7 BILLION mark
• Only a bit past the second deadliest earthquake on record which occurred in Haiti in 2010
• Feel free to insert your favorite additional trivia here…..

I have not been able to fully accept the gloom and doom of Dec. 21 beyond whatever we create ourselves through the act of self-fulfilling prophecy. I have no doubt that whether the world ends or not, there will be some pretty ugly things going on up to and including that day as we sprint to cross the line in the sand. We don’t have to be psychic to see the potential for a lot of damage done in such a manner.

My point is, isn’t it kind of neat to be here when such a grand anniversary passes for the Mayan people? They were masters at their craft and regardless of the full, true meaning of this date, it is incredibly significant. In fact, given a generous average lifespan over the last 5,000 years of roughly 40, then this only happens once in every 125 life spans, but in actuality only once in every 500 - 20 year generations!!!

Hopefully nothing extinction level will happen on the 21st, but most of us won’t be in a position to stop it regardless. So, is it possible to step back and appreciate it for the historical value alone and hope for the best?

Just a rambling thought…….thankfully my brain only works like this if I’m awake or asleep.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by samstone11

I'm with you, if nothing else, we were here to see something our ancestors didn't(debatable).

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The only thing cool to me is that nothing will happen and I watch my kids grow up in a world that has decided to move forward.

+20 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I remember being a very young kid(between 10 and 12) and listening wild eyed while my best friends older brother told us about the small group of men that controlled the world, ghosts, aliens, and the mayan end date of december the 21st 2012. After we had this typical older brother scare-fest my best friend and i continued to discuss the matter. I did the math and realized i would be thirty years old when our terrible fate fell upon us, and i thought to myself "thirty years old is old enough! I won't care if it ends that year! We will have a huge party for sure!"

I sit here typing this and can't believe i am thirty years old, and that "fatefull" day is just nine days away. Being happily married to a beautiful, wonderful woman who happens to truly be my best friend definitely changes my "care" for if it all goes south in just over a week.

I am thankful for holding on to that memory, as it is somewhat of a mile marker on how far i have come in my life, and how much further i would like to travel, if I am lucky enough.

And now the floodgates of my memory have opened. I absolutely love peering back through my short, yet full consciousness.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Yep, here’s to a new beginning... Our kids are getting ready to do things there way soon... Hope all the fathers have taught the new generation how it should be done, wait a minute... our generations made a mess of things, sorry kids, you are on your own.

It would be interesting to live long enough to see what changes they would make or do different…

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wondermost

I have a daughter your age, and by disclosing that detail can be easily deduced I am rather ancient. I have had good and bad things happen to me, but I made the best of what I had to work with. Seeing the sincerity and openness regarding your relationship with your wife I am reminded how badly I want the sun to rise on the 22nd and continue the same way every day afterwards for my "little girl". I may not have had the happiest or the luckiest life, but it still has been a good one by almost anyone's criteria. By all indications my daughter has such a level head, loving husband, and overall life potential that I want her to enjoy for as many years as God will allow.

I want to wish you, your best friend who subs as your wife, and your family a very long, happy, and healthy lifetime together reducing the Dec. 21st of Dec to nothing but a historical footnote. Sounds like you have a level head, and you deserve it.

GOOD LUCK AND GODD BLESS

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Absolutely.

I was reading that thread about the guys meditating mom, the only 1 million people ascending and thinking (even though I think that thread is bs) "I hope I'm not one of those 1 million to ascend, I wanna see how things here play out".

We are gifted to be alive in such amazing times, err programmed simulations.. either way!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I wish everybody goodluck on 21-12-2012.

We are also the generation privileged to witness the use of steel-melting kerosene and [insert whatever you want].

All the best !!!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The space age.....Mars and the other planets further explored.....the Higgs Boson discovery and other physics.....the melting of the North Pole (yay! Santa will have a boat!).....CG advances in film.....Virtual reality......"The Newsroom" on HBO......HBO and other such creatures!.....the first run of some classic movies in theaters.....vegan soy products, and now soy cheese that melts!......the war on some things, then legalized after improvements made.....pizza! (vegan pizza in my case)

edit on 12-12-2012 by Aleister because: add

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Actually the construction of the world wide web will be this generation's achievement that will
be remembered the longest, and the most cherished. It'll be one of the big things in history
like the first powered flight, the invention of the automobile, the moon landing....

....come to think of it, we are living in a special time of discovery, innovation, and human milestones

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I don't believe anythings going to actually happen myself, outside of the idiots that are going to be doing something stupid.. i.e. suicideds, crimes.. drunk driving... etc etc.. But only because it HAS to be done.. I am going to play REM it's the end of the world as we know it.., after all it's the going theme right hehehe

Grim
edit on 12/12/2012 by Grimmley because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I was thinking basically the same thing as you when I got down to your post. I have a son 3 years older than his daughter as well as a 30 year old son and a 22 year old daughter. I have a 3 year old son with my current wife and we are trying for another. Also, I have one grandson and 2 more grandchildren on the way, so yes, I want to see the sun rise on the 22nd as it has for millenia...
edit on 12/12/2012 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/12/2012 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by samstone11
I believe it is safe to say most of the readers of this post were alive to experience the Y2K drama. As I personally recall, there wasn’t much concern about the world completely imploding, but it was generally feared our technology was about to be toast.

Extending that degree of perspective hyperbole, for better or worse, we are:
• In surviving Y2K, we were here as the calendar put three zeros behind the front number for the first time in 1,000 years
• Experiencing the historic first presidency of a black person in America,
• Witnessing the proliferation and ubiquitous presence of the internet/world wide web,
• Witnessing an explosion of other technological wonders from the microwave oven to the LHC and everything between
• Less than 50 years from the first step on the moon (or so we have been told)
• Possibly the first generation to witness travel to other planets
• Unfortunately, one of the first generations in human history with the tools to exact self-imposed extinction upon ourselves
• Present as the world’s population passes the 7 BILLION mark
• Only a bit past the second deadliest earthquake on record which occurred in Haiti in 2010
• Feel free to insert your favorite additional trivia here…..

I have not been able to fully accept the gloom and doom of Dec. 21 beyond whatever we create ourselves through the act of self-fulfilling prophecy. I have no doubt that whether the world ends or not, there will be some pretty ugly things going on up to and including that day as we sprint to cross the line in the sand. We don’t have to be psychic to see the potential for a lot of damage done in such a manner.

My point is, isn’t it kind of neat to be here when such a grand anniversary passes for the Mayan people? They were masters at their craft and regardless of the full, true meaning of this date, it is incredibly significant. In fact, given a generous average lifespan over the last 5,000 years of roughly 40, then this only happens once in every 125 life spans, but in actuality only once in every 500 - 20 year generations!!!

Hopefully nothing extinction level will happen on the 21st, but most of us won’t be in a position to stop it regardless. So, is it possible to step back and appreciate it for the historical value alone and hope for the best?

Just a rambling thought…….thankfully my brain only works like this if I’m awake or asleep.

This date has no meaning, not even in the way that you say it has.

The Mayan date is not the 21st December. It is just another date in the Gregorian calendar (the Mayans had no knowledge of our calendar and there is no real accuracy).

I will come here and tell you this again on December 22nd, ok!

This just shows how foolish people are. You ahve been duped by trash modern junk media into believing this date means anything.

The only thing I could conceive of is that TPTB apply some meaning to this date. That is of course possible.

Hype! Hype! Hype! The Anti Christ will be a Master of Hype!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
The only thing cool to me is that nothing will happen and I watch my kids grow up in a world that has decided to move forward.

if the world moves forward, something monumental has indeed happened because currently we are moving backwards at breakneck speed.

i think it's a grand time to be here and be alive, although it's imperative we get more people to feel the same way because in the end, we are all in this together.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by wondermost
I remember being a very young kid(between 10 and 12) and listening wild eyed while my best friends older brother told us about the small group of men that controlled the world, ghosts, aliens, and the mayan end date of december the 21st 2012. After we had this typical older brother scare-fest my best friend and i continued to discuss the matter. I did the math and realized i would be thirty years old when our terrible fate fell upon us, and i thought to myself "thirty years old is old enough! I won't care if it ends that year! We will have a huge party for sure!"

I sit here typing this and can't believe i am thirty years old, and that "fatefull" day is just nine days away. Being happily married to a beautiful, wonderful woman who happens to truly be my best friend definitely changes my "care" for if it all goes south in just over a week.

I am thankful for holding on to that memory, as it is somewhat of a mile marker on how far i have come in my life, and how much further i would like to travel, if I am lucky enough.

And now the floodgates of my memory have opened. I absolutely love peering back through my short, yet full consciousness.

wow... i have a similar memory.. i am 31 now. I was with my dad and mom at a beach house for vacations. my mom was telling us about 2012 and how huge waves would come from the sea and destroy everything etc. I was like 8 and i was thinking wow... i'll be 31.. how would i be i that time..

well this year i lost my dad. my mom and dad had divorced from 2000... life is weird.. bitter sweet..

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

The 2012 end of the world prophecies are lies, plain and simple. The mayans never exclaimed their texts meant it was the end of the world. Logic states we just haven't found the rest of their calendar, seeing as the Spaniards pretty much destroyed all their work the only thing we can do is guess.

Secondly, we know in astrology December 21st signifies the end of an age and the beginning of a new one. We are also lining up directly with the center of the Milky Way for the first time in a long, long time.

This is all it is. We may become enlightened due to some happenings in the world, which would lend credence to some prophecies that proclaim this new age brings enlightenment. This doesn't mean we find God or anything, it could mean we found Higgs Boson and proved Einsteins theory to be fact, or we may find it does not exist and have to rewrite a few science models and reconsider some of our methods.

This again doesn't mean the end of the world.

The end of the world stuff is all created to scare you and for some it's wishful thinking. They don't love this world and wish it would be destroyed by a God (damned fanatics). All in all though the only way the prophecy will come true is if it's self-fullfilling....which could happen. That's the only likely scenario to me, the rest is assumptions based on little facts.

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

Originally posted by kdog1982

if the world moves forward, something monumental has indeed happened because currently we are moving backwards at breakneck speed.

i think it's a grand time to be here and be alive, although it's imperative we get more people to feel the same way because in the end, we are all in this together.

All I can say to this is: Huh???? We are moving backwards? How are people supposed to feel? You mention "feeling the same way" but it makes no sense in the context at all.
Exactly how are we "all in this together"? While we reside on the same planet we hardly care for one another and if the end came we would step over our own mothers to stay alive (for the most part).

edit on 12-12-2012 by TheCanuckian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Actually the construction of the world wide web will be this generation's achievement that will
be remembered the longest, and the most cherished. It'll be one of the big things in history
like the first powered flight, the invention of the automobile, the moon landing....

....come to think of it, we are living in a special time of discovery, innovation, and human milestones

You might be right but the one thing that could trump it is Higgs Boson. If it's truly found (last report was they were sure they found it but no confirmation), this could change physics and science as we know it.
It could also turn out to do nothing for science. I doubt that though, they don't spend billions testing for this tiny particle if it didn't matter so much.

Internet was an innovation before the 2000's and was built by the generation before this one, we just used it the best and innovated it further. However, our generation cannot take credit.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Well, jumping on the "I'm an old guy and have seen lots of stuff" bandwagon, my oldest daughter is turning 24 today! On this date of 12-12-12 she turns 24 - so she turns double 12 on triple 12. If I believed in numerology that might mean something - or maybe not. I don't really know.

So I lived through the generation that saw the US becoming the sole remaining superpower in the 80's. My 3 daughters will be alive (as well as most of us here) to witness the US fall from that pinnacle to join the rest of the world as a failing, debt-riddled country while China rises to the world's top superpower. I hope they show us the mercy we honestly don't deserve. I also hope we pull our collective heads out of our collective a$$es and quit spending more than we have. I think I read or heard the other day that if the "tax the rich" plan goes through as they want it to, that the extra tax money brought in for a full year will only fund about 9 days of the current cost of running the country. Or something like that...

Whatever - back on topic.

I think on 12/21/12, we will just be having one long awaited "new year's eve" (for lack of a better term) and on 12/22/12 the so called Mayan calendar will reset to their version of January 1st and we will continue on with our lives through Christmas, New Years, and all the other various cultures holidays and celebrations and then back to somewhat normal until the next doomsday approaches. Still - I guess it's kinda cool to see the long awaited date come and go.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I like your post. It shows a part of your soul that reflects many souls. As to our trials and tribulations, I think every generation can speak of them. There was a time not too long ago where a donkeys life was more valued than a mans. This generation bears witness to the greatest changes in the shortest time...and I think its doing pretty good...growing pains. As Dec 21, 2012, perhaps it should simply be a reminder that each can be our last...and that we should act acccordingly.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Oh my friend, this world would be so exciting and beautiful if it wasnt run by tyrants.
edit on 12-12-2012 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join