It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any suggestions...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I'm really into astronomy and am looking for a telescope. My budget is most likely up to 300 or 400. I was wondering does any buddy know of any good telescopes within that price range. Thanks

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
300 to 400 USD

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufohunter16
I'm really into astronomy and am looking for a telescope. My budget is most likely up to 300 or 400. I was wondering does any buddy know of any good telescopes within that price range. Thanks

Check this out.

www.meteorwatch.org...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Check out this Orion AstroView - my friend uses this and he absolutely loves it. Great price, and I definitely recommend getting the optional electronic drive (not sure if it's available on the site, but easy to find) to help with star tracking if you're into that!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Thanks for the link.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
In that price range you aren't going to do any deep viewing with any clarity in the new department. Optics aren't forgiving. You get what you pay for. For that kind of money you best look around in the used arena for somebody that has a "package". This would include a basic body, and maybe an assortment of lenses and stuff.

Go with a reflector type scope as opposed to a refractor. A 6 inch "Scmitt Cassegrain" reflector body would be a beginning. Celestron is a good brand. Try to get an equatorial wedge and maybe a stand with computer tracking ( but I wouldn't count on it). All these things are available cheaper these days but like I said the optics grade are important up front for the "clearest, crispest" viewing. When buying used you need to have it checked by someone that can do that. There are amateur astronomy clubs that meet and those guys know their stuff. They always have gobs of used stuff.

used telescopes

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Three of the most important things for a telescope are the optics, size of the mirror (in a reflector) and whether you want to track the object you are looking at. If you know these up front you can make a more informed decision.

A refractor is a telescope that looks "through" lenses (like binoculars) as opposed to a reflector which bounces captured light off a mirror to an eyepiece. The less the number of lenses the light has to pass through before it gets to your eye the less the image degrades. So a reflector is better . The larger the mirror the more light is gathered from the object you are looking at. 4, 6 or 8" mirrors are the choice for most beginning astronomers. A 6" is the best for your price range.

You want to track the object as you look at it. Its frustrating trying to keep up with it in the eyepiece as you view it. Without a sturdy stand (keeps wind vibration down), an equatorial wedge and a motor drive you just see a moving object in the view finder all the time. The farther away the object, the faster it moves out of view.

Trust me, that is very annoying.

top topics

join