It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunset was supposed to be at 4:40pm, but it was still very light way after 5

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
www.dailymail.co.uk...

48 hours difference for melting polar caps?

how do you draw a correlation between the greenland explanation affecting sunsets in north america?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by infowarrior9970

I'm not.

I was replying to a post about the Inuit.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ianska

what part of oz are you, sounds like WA.

GMT +11:00 is tasmania

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
If you want to make sure how or what, try to find a local (your continent) cloud satellite. Skip the Infra red images, just check the visible clouds normally you can see Dusk and/or Dawn with a small gradient band between light and dark. If times really change it would be noticeable there. And ok it is a conspiracy site but I cannot imagen a meteorologist who is focused on weather would deliberately change the pattern of dusk and dawn.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I didn't think much of it, but it did not get dark until 18:30 pst. I went out to the mailbox around 18:00. I live in Southern Cali, and this time of year gets dark before 17:00. The sky was orange/red. Jupiter was visible to the east. The sun was no longer visible.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

NSW. Sun was under the horizon at the time my local weather app said.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I have been noticing a increase in red sunsets with no sun present.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSquare

I wasn't implying a conspiracy, I was wondering if others had noted the oddity I had. I would check the cloud cover as you mentioned, but do you have a link perhaps? Or a site to share about how to do this and what I would be looking for to verify (or not) the odd variation between expected and actual times?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

Ottawa here.
I left my igloo at 10 after 6 this morning and it was still dark eh?

(Go Sens Go)

edit on 12-12-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ianska
Yep summer in Oz. Sunsets supposed to be at 7:53pm tonight (40 minutes from now) so I'll keep an eye out and let you know. I get a great view of sunset from my house and skies are clear

Edit: Sun set on time

Congratulations.
Among all the stupidity in this thread, you're the only one who actually took the time to go outside and check.
Gold star for you.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

thats from Jan 14th 2011........2 years old mostly....anything more recent to chime in about? Or is the OP talking about 2 years ago?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

reply to post by Lichter daraus

The sun over Greenland has risen two days early, baffling scientists and sparking fears that Arctic icecaps are melting faster than previously thought.
Experts say the sun should have risen over the Arctic nation's most westerly town, Ilulissat, yesterday, ending a month-and-a-half of winter darkness.
But for the first time in history light began creeping over the horizon at around 1pm on Tuesday - 48 hours ahead of the usual date of 13 January.
The mysterious sunrise has confused scientists, although it is believed the most likely explanation is that it is down to the lower height of melting icecaps allowing the sun's light to penetrate through earlier.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

They don't seem as sure at least last year as you as to the reason.

has confused scientists, although it is believed the most likely explanation is that it is down to the lower height of melting icecaps Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... x Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I live in Cali and I visit an office every wed, at 4:30. Last Week, it was a clear sky, it was almost nighttime, dark and Sun below the horizon.. Yesterday it was still pure day, not even sunset. Is this normal??? I never noticed such a drastic transition in the length of days before. I'm sort of starting to believe that something is indeed happening. Time will tell..

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

reply to post by Urantia1111

Melted ice caps lower the horizon, therefore make it appear that the sun is setting/rising earlier.

It's not that hard to get.

Very creative..

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSquare
If you want to make sure how or what, try to find a local (your continent) cloud satellite. Skip the Infra red images, just check the visible clouds normally you can see Dusk and/or Dawn with a small gradient band between light and dark. If times really change it would be noticeable there. And ok it is a conspiracy site but I cannot imagen a meteorologist who is focused on weather would deliberately change the pattern of dusk and dawn.

Chadwickus Already established there is a known change noted by science since last year.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
Chadwickus Already established there is a known change noted by science since last year.

This was already thrashed out in older threads here on ATS, and I'll just repeat what I wrote earlier...

...I found some comments by someone who actually lives in Greenland.
link

Summary:
- The sun is expected to rise on the 13th of January at ilulissat.
- The sun rose on the 11th of January.
- The sun did NOT rise on the 12th
- The sun rose half an hour late on the 13th.
- There are no glaciers in the way, so the theory about shrinking glaciers fails.

The obvious answer is the one that has been known and observed for hundreds of years.
A reason that is easily and often observed, well studied and so well known that it was named 400 years ago and even has its own wikipedia page.
wiki

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
There are many reasons to expect some actual real changes.
In 2009

Global warming could change Earth's tilt

Warming oceans could cause Earth's axis to tilt in the coming century, a new study suggests. The effect was previously thought to be negligible, but researchers now say the shift will be large enough that it should be taken into account when interpreting how the Earth wobbles.

www.sciencenews.org...

At the same time 2009

As arctic ice melts, South Pole ice grows
Scientists are puzzled, but the phenomenon seems to fit the latest global-warming models.

www.csmonitor.com...

The tilt of the earth is being effected

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I'll stick my 2 cents in

You are not all crazy. What has happened is a 9.1 earthquake in 2009 cause a wobble to the earth's spin.

Look at it this way, if you spin a gyroscope top and then bump it, it will cause a slight noticeable wobble before correcting itself. That is why the sun rose 2 days earlier then it didn't the next as it was in a wobble rotation.

Even the annual nautical almanac had a supplement page added the last 2 years to compensate for this wobble.

Also, light cloud cover will help extend daylight and depending where and how thick this cloud cover effects lighting conditions. Along with this wobble, we are all seeing something new in our lifetime.

Sirric

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirric
You are not all crazy. What has happened is a 9.1 earthquake in 2009 cause a wobble to the earth's spin.

Put some numbers to it. Be specific.
Rather than just say "a wobble", I suggest you actually try to define "how much".
And once you find out "how much", define EXACTLY how much that would change the sunrise / sunset.

You'll see its not the answer.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

IT IS the cause.

Earthquakes vs. the Earth's Rotation

Japan Earthquake Shortened Days, Increased Earth's Wobble

When the earth wobbled

How The Chilean Quake Moved An Entire Planet

I know it speaks of minute time difference, What I'm saying is it can cause the earth to "wobble"
edit on 12/12/12 by sirric because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join