It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunset was supposed to be at 4:40pm, but it was still very light way after 5

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
My husband noticed it this evening. Our posted sunset time for the Toronto area was 4:40pm... the other day it was very dark around 4 - 4:30pm but this evening it was still very bright outside. I joked that the Earth's rotation must be slowing down... he didn't find it funny

Interestingly, our noted sunrise time was supposed to be 7:40 am, but I was having my morning coffee at 7 and there was the sun visible above the houses in my neighborhood.

Sunrise and Sunset times

Now, I work nights on a road crew doing pavement markings in the summer and I've seen the sun rise, I've seen the light before the dawn, and I've seen just as many sunsets ...

Now is this not an odd occurrence, or is there some atmospheric light refraction making it seem like sunset is later and sunrise is earlier? Please don't tell me it's the snow...

Has anyone else noticed such a thing?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

Heavy cloud cover will effect apparent sunset/sunrise times.

You'll probably find on the day it got darker sooner was because there was heavy cloud blocking the sunlight

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

You know, I noticed it today as I usually work PM's, but it was my day off and I was out shopping. I was thinking to myself, the days start getting longer after the winter solstice - Dec. 21st - but it was 5:00 and it was still light out - it was cloudy, but still light out. I live in Central Wisconsin.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

The time of sunset is defined in astronomy as the moment when the trailing edge of the Sun's disk disappears below the horizon in the west. The ray path of light from the setting Sun is highly distorted near the horizon because of atmospheric refraction, making the sunset appear to occur when the Sun’s disk is already about one diameter below the horizon. Sunset is distinct from dusk, which is the moment at which darkness falls, which occurs when the Sun is approximately eighteen degrees below the horizon. The period between sunset and dusk is called twilight.

Definition of sunset

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I'm posting because I go to work at 6:30-6:33 AM CDT each day like clockwork.

I noticed today that there was light out...

almost as if the 21st of december was about two weeks ago, and we are now moving back towards longer days.

I was scratching my head this morning.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
there have been reports lately regarding things being out of place in the sky. the Inuits are noticing the same thing and in my opinion they would know. i think i read somewhere that daylight came early this year in Iceland? in spite of this, you should expect to be told outright that what you have seen is "impossible"

Toronto is a beautiful city btw!

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Melted ice caps lower the horizon, therefore make it appear that the sun is setting/rising earlier.

It's not that hard to get.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

thanks chief. you're always so quick with the "answers". its why we "love you"

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Melted ice caps lower the horizon, therefore make it appear that the sun is setting/rising earlier.

It's not that hard to get.

that doesn't really make sense. maybe you could elaborate on that a little more for me please.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

The sun over Greenland has risen two days early, baffling scientists and sparking fears that Arctic icecaps are melting faster than previously thought.
Experts say the sun should have risen over the Arctic nation's most westerly town, Ilulissat, yesterday, ending a month-and-a-half of winter darkness.
But for the first time in history light began creeping over the horizon at around 1pm on Tuesday - 48 hours ahead of the usual date of 13 January.
The mysterious sunrise has confused scientists, although it is believed the most likely explanation is that it is down to the lower height of melting icecaps allowing the sun's light to penetrate through earlier.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Awesome, thanks. But what about the other places its happening, like in Wisconsin.
I havent noticed anything here in Mn but im curious as to what would cause it here in the states

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Aw shucks.

I noticed it too. I'm working as a seasonal UPS delivery helper in North NJ, USA. I casually mentioned around 3:15 "We have about an hour of daylight left" to the driver, as yesterday we had trouble seeing addresses on homes due to darkness and his flashlight being MIA.

Somehow today ( I mean Tuesday) there was enough light to see all of these same addresses well after 5 o'clock.

Unless we're all experiencing some mass hallucination of sorts, my guess is the cloud cover. But between yesterday and today there was quite a noticeable difference.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I have noticed the sun setting around 9:15 here in Australia.

I in Tasmania on the northern bit of the state.
8:43 PM is the normal time its meant to set.

I notice this as I put my budgies aviary cover over them.
funny thing is they stop activity around 8:43 PM

something isn't right.
edit on 12-12-2012 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Well, clear skies here today. I just thought it was out of the ordinary... so much so I made this thread.

I know the spring equinox was early this year, I don't know if that happens naturally or not.

Glad to hear of other folks who noted the same thing.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sticky

Oddly enough, that's almost the same thing that my husband mentioned when he brought it up. Whereabouts in the world are you?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

I have heard the natives say that the sun is moving in the sky

But I almost wonder if we did miss the Solstice or not. Since I'm not the only one who's noticed, I wish someone knew honestly what is going on.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

So, melted ice caps thousands of miles in the other direction give the illusion that the orange dot in in the sky earlier than it's supposed to be?

Sorry, I can't buy into that idea without an explanation. The world isn't flat, I need proof of your suggestion. My logic can't fathom how that's supposed to work... sorry

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by danj3ris

I don't know about cloud cover, unless it was in Wisconsin and I didn't see any when I looked up...

I'm north of Toronto a little.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

If I understand correctly, Oz is in summer right now?

America, Canada and Australia... all seem to be off time interesting

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Yep summer in Oz. Sunsets supposed to be at 7:53pm tonight (40 minutes from now) so I'll keep an eye out and let you know. I get a great view of sunset from my house and skies are clear

Edit: Sun set on time

edit on 12-12-2012 by Ianska because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join