It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are threads from the R.A.T.S forum showing up on the ATS facebook page?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
So I looged onto my facebook page tonight and one of the first posts I saw was a thread from the RATS forum. I thought those threads were to be kept off of things like that. I just found it wierd seeing as how you can't link those threads to any other forum to keep them somewhat hidden. Just thought I'd ask why it appears on facebook. Thanks.
edit on 11/12/12 by usmc0311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
As cool as I thought RATS would be when I whizzed away the points to get access to it, I think it kind of lost its way along the years. Yes, by definition, it shouldn't be showing up on Facebook (or google, or nsa.gov/search, or whatever) but what's there that's really "Really Above Top Secret"?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

There have been threads that have information that could be harmful if it got out. Personal names, addresses, sources that probably shouldn't have said anything, that sort of thing. RATS is a way to keep that off the net, while letting us discuss it.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I've just checked the RATS forum listing against the ATS FB page and cannot see any crossover. Could you be specific and cite which thread was posted on the feed?

I'm not seeing it.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It was the most recent thread regaurding the personal conversation someone had with an observatory worker abour changing the date for Christmas. Do they only show up for those with access to the RATS forum? I have never seen one show up before that is why I asked. I don't know how to screen capture but I will go see if it is still on the feed.
edit on 12/12/12 by usmc0311 because: poor spelling.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Yep still there....

People are even complaining that ATS is posting 404'd pages....

[ETA] -
Also showing on the ATS Twitter feed:

edit on 12-12-2012 by OneisOne because: add twitter pic....

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I read that thread. If the original poster put it on Facebook, it wouldn't be a violation, would it?
Hopefully that's it and no one is just fear mongering.
Bet money we just found our new doomsday.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Oh. Darn.....Ummm......

It's a Christmas miracle...?????

Yeah that's probably something the folks higher up the food chain will address at some point soon.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
I read that thread. If the original poster put it on Facebook, it wouldn't be a violation, would it?
Hopefully that's it and no one is just fear mongering.
Bet money we just found our new doomsday.

what's said in the rats forum, stays in the rats forum.
at least that's how it's supposed to function.

edit, Heff i know you can fix this, you have the force with you, just believe.

edit on 12-12-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
sound like a tool, but whats RATS and not the rodents the ones you guys are an about?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

RATS - Really Above Top Secret. It's a forum you used to have to pay points to get into, but it's basically free now, if you can find it. If there was anything you wanted to discuss that you didn't want showing up on Google or any other search engines, that's the place to put it. That's the reason for the concern with it showing up on Facebook and Twitter. It's a forum of secrecy, for safe discussion. But as previously stated, RATS has kind of lost momentum.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I was told the ATS FB randomly posts threads to FB via some posting app or something like that, which to me explains the crap that gets posted via ATS' FB.

I'd much rather see someone actually post the threads than the method they use because it always seems the crap ones get posted over and over. I've even seen ones that were closed hours before. Believe me I use to complain about it lol til someone told me it's done by some random posting method from some site. I have no idea how that works but they need to fix it! Heck I have nothing to do I'll post threads from ATS to FB!

Yes RATS is suppose to be unsearchable via google from what i thought and any other search. So based on that I would assume it shouldn't be on FB, just from what i know of RATS.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

thank's never knew,is this correct or you pulling my leg

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

It's the truth. It's the forum where you post things that require personal information, or information you just don't want on the regular boards for anyone to find. Like say someone told you something and they could get in trouble for it. You could post it in RATS and it wouldn't show up on Google.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The application we used to use (SkepticOverlord just shut it down minutes ago) to post threads to FB and twitter is called HootSuite (you'll notice the screenshot posted above indicates the thread was uploaded to FB "via HootSuite") and it simply pulls from our RSS feed and rebroadcasts content to selected social media sites.

The thread in question had to be in one of the other forums before it was moved to RATS because RATS is not included in our RSS feed. It appears as though HootSuite pulled the RSS feed before this thread was moved to RATS and posted it to FB and twitter.

That won't happen again since we've disabled the application.

RATS is still blocked from search and is not included in the RSS feed, you have to be a registered member with RATS access to see the forum.

Springer...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

RATS access? I've never applied for RATS access and I still can get in, unless it's just automatically docking points every time I open it...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

There's a minimum post count requirement.

S...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Ah! That explains it. I had read that there was a 5,000 or 500 point cost for the first month, and 50 for every month after that (it varies). It's obviously changed since then. I've got it bookmarked, because I had a devilish time locating it, so I can breathe easier now.

edit on 12-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Ah! That explains it. I had read that there was a 5,000 or 500 point cost for the first month, and 50 for every month after that (it varies). It's obviously changed since then. I've got it bookmarked, because I had a devilish time locating it, so I can breathe easier now.

When I signed up for it, it was 500 points, and I never heard anything about a monthly charge for it.

If it's "free" now, there's officially nothing that you can spend points on any more. Too bad I can't trade 'em in for Confederate Dollars or Schrute Bucks or something, lol.

So far as I know, it's always listed on the Comprehensive Forums Listing page -- those who don't have access just get an empty screen or something if they click on it.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now. Also thanks for fixing it. I figured it was technology and not human error.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join