It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US recognises Syria opposition coalition says Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

US recognises Syria opposition coalition says Obama

www.bbc.co.uk

The US has formally recognised Syria's opposition rebel coalition as the "legitimate representative" of the Syrian people, says President Obama.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12/12/2012 by semperfortis because: Exact Headline

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This is a significant move, although not unexpected around here.

The USA is now backing terrorists despite a war on terrorism...... fascinating.

Will be interesting to see what happens next. If US gives the terrorists weapons will Russian/Iran give Assad equal fire power ? This could escalate into an arms race with Syrians stuck in the middle.

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I have an theory that the Obama administration is slowly setting the stage for an attack on Israel. As soon as we have the Arab coalition sufficiently armed and "advised" we'll give them the green light.

link   
I expect the Russians to say something about this pretty soon.
Oh please do not let us all die because of this
I want a nice safe Chrimbo.

link   

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This whole thing is amazing. On one hand we are supposedly applauding free thought and decrying the evils and horrors of terrorism and we do our very best to crush and deprive thought and now we openly fund and sponsor the same!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by christoph

I have no one over there and no clue as to the atrocities committed over there but who knows who did what to whom.
I would be one in the fray when our own government was smashing us.... However I would not hope India or another country to come take my airspace over and perhaps fund some rabid gangsters more power to fight them. I hope we could do it on our own

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I guess that's what this is all about Over 10,000 US-NATO Troops Mass Ahead of Syria Invasion; Patriot Missiles Deployed in Turkey.

After you move your troops and equipment into place, then you move. If Assad fights this, it could be ugly, seeing as how he might use "chemical weapons" and all. If he doesn't and backs off, he gets his obligatory slice to remain silent and not rock the boat.

Gaddafi didn't take the deal, i wonder if Assad does.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Didn't the Syrian rebels come out and say that after Assad that the U.S. was next? Sometimes I wonder if the POTUS is completely out of tune of what is going on around the world.

The rebels will not befriend any Western military.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

Obama backs Syria opposition rebel coalition

www.bbc.co.uk

The US has formally recognised Syria's opposition rebel coalition as the "legitimate representative" of the Syrian people, says President Obama.

No suprise here. He did it with Libya too. Recognized their "rebels" as the legit power of the people.

It going to get real interesting real quick.

Good little read. S/F

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

This is a significant move, although not unexpected around here.

The USA is now backing terrorists despite a war on terrorism...... fascinating.

Will be interesting to see what happens next. If US gives the terrorists weapons will Russian/Iran give Assad equal fire power ? This could escalate into an arms race with Syrians stuck in the middle.

www.bbc.co.uk

The reason it took the US a month after other nations began recognition was to make sure certain groups were not a parts of the coalition. So that way terrorist groups fighting Assad are being leveraged out to point of open conflict with the legit rebels. No arms race this is almost over.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
WOW ..US just backed the wrong side

Syria Rebels make child behead unarmed prisoner - WARNING - Extremely Graphic

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
War in Syria is the war between the eastern and the western ideology fought by the US and Russia/China.They of course get their proxies to get their proxies to do the job for them...And the poor people of Syria are the ones paying the price for that...Syria is always been geopolitically very important to the super powers.This proxy war in Syria and some times in Turkey/Armenia is been happening several times throughout the history,a few times between the Roman/Greece and the Persian empire during the Ackeamenid, Parthians and later in Sasanid era.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
An update from Russia Link

but I don't know what it means. It suggests that ideas about Russia backing off are incorrect though it doesn't say they are about to launch counter measures.

top topics

join