Christians are great

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

Werner Von Braun was not on my list.

No he was not. But he was the man that pioneered the Saturn V rockets that put us into space.

Also do you think Von Braun would have had a clue about rocket propulsion without the giant shoulders of Newton?

This statement would have been better in the OP to add context to your statement about space travel.

The Antisemite comment was a general statement about the themes on this site.

I disagree. There are many on this site, including myself, that are critical of Israel, but are labeled antisemitic out of pure knee-jerk reaction. Criticism of Israel does not equal anti-Jew.

Also bieng A Jew, living in Israel and having grandparents that survived the holocaust, i'm pretty sure I understand the word bieng that I speak a Semitic language.

If you speak Hebrew, yes that is a Semitic language. But that vast majority of Jews are in no way Semites.

"Strictly speaking it is incorrect to call an ancient Israelite a ‘Jew’ or to call a contemporary Jew an Israelite or a Hebrew." (1980 Jewish Almanac, p. 3).

"Khazars, a non-Semitic, Asiatic, Mongolian tribal nation who emigrated into Eastern Europe about the first century, who were converted as an entire nation to Judaism in the seventh century by the expanding Russian nation which absorbed the entire Khazar population, and who account for the presence in Eastern Europe of the great numbers of Yiddish-speaking Jews in Russia, Poland, Lithuania, Galatia, Besserabia and Rumania."

Source

Also do you think Von Braun would have had a clue about rocket propulsion without the giant shoulders of Newton?

How far do you want to take this?

If we are honest with ourselves, we would not be what we are today if it weren't for the "cavemen" that learned how to make tools from rocks or figured out agriculture....etc.

So if we follow your logic, we should really be thanking those that had no concept of God or Christianity. We should also thanks the pagans, sun-worshipers and such that were the early innovators long before Christianity came along.

Or were there Christians on Earth long before Christ ever walked among us?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by Kargun

What am I misunderstanding? Eighty percent of Americans identify as 'Christian' or some derivative of, I'm sure many of them are scientists. To suggest that without Christianity we wouldn't have science is completely wrong as a huge deal of our astronomical and mathematical knowledge comes from Muslims and ancient China. Newton wouldn't have calculus if not for the polytheist Pythagoras, who later went on to form his own religion.

Should we be thankful to the whole of Christianity for our GPS devices? No, if the church had it's way we'd still be believing that the Earth was the center of the universe and burning anyone at the stake who claimed otherwise.

Some Christians are great.

Excellent point! I completely forgot that algebra was created by a Muslim in the 8th or 9th century if I am not mistaken.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
So was it the fact that they were great christians or the fact that they were great scientists that they were great?
Their legacies seem all to be scientifically related, not religious.
I don't believe that a lot of their scientific discoveries were based upon their religious beliefs rather than their quest for knowledge (one could argue that they are linked I suppose).

Surely if you remove the christian element of your argument they're still great scientists.
I'm confused.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
One thing to remember about Christians. They are the ones that gave the world the idea of civil rights. If it wasn't for Christians there would still be legal slavery in most of the world. It's Christians that led the fight against it.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
reply to post by Kargun

What are you talking about? There is no unfair or biased attacks against Christians on this site...
sarcasm intended.

Exactly! ATS only challenges unsubstantiated claims bandied about as facts!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

Thank you for speaking in the Truth,

God bless

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

Back then everyone was christian. Today everyone who is looked up to in the past is no longer christian since being christian is frowned upon. Apparently being smart does not fall into the outlook of christians but being stupid does. Talk about prejudice and ignorance.

It is very sad when most people who hate christianity know absolutely nothing about it. Most of my friends hate religion specifically christianity. Everything they rant about is actual ignorance about christianity itself but I do not blame them since everyone thinks roman Catholicism is true christianity. It is not and that is why they fail but the roman Catholic church has done a great job in destroying christianity for their own selfish means.

I always here about bible thumpers on ats but I see more bible bashers than anything

I
edit on 12-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The basic underpinnings of science is math -- sorry definitely not thunk up by christians

Oh and think where we would have been today if the christians hadn't brought us the DARK AGES.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I have no problem with people believing in God, or worshiping God, or even talking to me about their beliefs in their chosen God. What I detest though are people who call themselves Christians who are in actuality the furthest thing from one. Every single person I have met who claims to be a Christian have been an incredible hypocritical, judgmental person. Every single one!

You don't talk down to people if you're a Christian, you don't call for votes to deny people food and shelter if you're a Christian. You don't put a helping hand out to a wealthy person while standing on a poor person if you're a Christian. And a real Christian does not belong to any political party.

The reason Christians get so much contempt is because they have no idea what being a Christian actually means. Being able to quote Bible verses, or going to church does not make you one.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan
reply to post by Kargun

Back then everyone was christian. Today everyone who is looked up to in the past is no longer christian since being christian is frowned upon. Apparently being smart does not fall into the outlook of christians but being stupid does. Talk about prejudice and ignorance.

It is very sad when most people who hate christianity know absolutely nothing about it. Most of my friends hate religion specifically christianity. Everything they rant about is actual ignorance about christianity itself but I do not blame them since everyone thinks roman Catholicism is true christianity. It is not and that is why they fail but the roman Catholic church has done a great job in destroying christianity for their own selfish means.

I always here about bible thumpers on ats but I see more bible bashers than anything

I
edit on 12-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

I agree. The Roman Catholic Church is actually very un-Christian. The so-called Christian Crusades were just a murder spree by that church. When the Bible was finally translated, so the common man could see what was really inside, it tore up the church pretty good. It exposed their lies. It's amazing how many people still stick with that church even though it's teachings go against what is taught in the Bible. Idolotry and superstition to the max.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
The basic underpinnings of science is math -- sorry definitely not thunk up by christians

Oh and think where we would have been today if the christians hadn't brought us the DARK AGES.

The Dark Ages where brought to you by the Visigoths destroying the Roman Empire and all of the security it brought. A power vacuum along with a lack of law and order and education then occurred followed. As far as I am aware the Visigoths where not Christians.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium

Originally posted by FinalCountdown
News Flash, everyone was a "Christian" back then.
I doubt these scientists were "really" Christians however.
They were too smart for that.

This is the kind of mentality that just cracks me up.

Many, who feel that to believe in a higher power makes one "stupid", have an "elitist" attitude.

The sad part is that most of those who feel they are more intelligent or brighter than others are usually about as dumb as a box of rocks.
Quad
edit on 11-12-2012 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

It's not an "elitist" attitude its a logical attitude.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
YOUR WELCOME!! Always amazed at how smart we think we are.....or more concisely, how some can answer the single most asked question historically in a one-liner.
90% of all Christians come to God because of the fear of God. The New Covenant (or New Testament) changed the Law of Old Testament. We were forgiven as it was known we could not keep the Law. At that point every soul was bought and paid for by the death of Christ. So...to those who doubt this testament...please remember the first time Christ came to earth he was a teacher...the next time He is a warrior! Yep, it's Biblical.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

Well then by all means, please explain your logic.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Rely on electric motors much? Better thank the Christian Michael Faraday who was indentured to be a chimney sweep when a child but given an education by a benefactor who saw his promise, one of my heroes along with John Bunyan [ Pilgrims Progress] , a British heathen who turned to the Living God Jesus and escaped Satan's matrix.
God loves people and those who love the Saviour He will use to benefit his Creation.
Thank you Christians! Keep on keep'in on till Jesus returns.!
...and for all you detractors out there: you have no idea of the mercy He affords this world that it might wake up
y

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

Dark ages?
...bit of a christian smear that.
Check your history : it was initiated by a cult called Catholicism whose roots are based out of pagan Babylon . A power based organization that initiated 'christmas' masses etc, celebrations to control the ignorant peoples. If Christ is your saviour you are a saint in God's eyes - not given by some bimbo with a dunce hat and flowing robes lol.
Real Christians were tortured to death for not recanting their faith and agreeing that the Pope had more authority than their Savior Jesus.
Christ said ' you must be born again' and if you are you would renounce any power control by these so called self appointed Christian leaders- Christ said the greatest amongst you would be the least and the servant of all. Thats the test
y

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
reply to post by Kargun

Not bad, except in regards to his (Jesus') crucifixion, which he anticipated even years in advance. Jesus also saw himself as a manifestation of the Godhead in an intimate relationship with God as first father of creation, with a sent calling for the sake of love, and he utilized this intimate personal and experiential relationship as a source of great wisdom and understanding.

But the Jesus of traditional "Churchianity" for the most part, the guy's bang on.

As a Christian, I give it a thumbs up overall, or maybe one thumb.

Cheers,

NAM

edit on 12-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
P.S. Many of the comments by the, let's call them detractors, are very hurtful, and ironically in most cases have very little, if any, merit, and are based on nothing but preconceived bias.

"There is a principal which serves as a bar against all information and proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a person in everlasting ignorance. That principal is called - contempt, prior to investigation."
~ Herbert Spencer, Scientist.

P.S. Thank you OP, but we don't need any reassurances. We KNOW we totally rock and are awesome and not just of ourselves, but because of a love that's out of this world and a person who's character stands as tall as the son of God while inviting us along for the ride, that we too might get to be with him where he is (and I meant that spiritually and in a present moment experience kind of way, not as a hope for something later on ony after we "die" - how absurd). What's absurd I hear someone say? That heaven is something not to be realized in this life and in the here and now, as a state of mind and being, and a realization that we've already passed into the eternal life wherein death no longer has any meaning or significance. In Jesus Christ the whole idea of death is amuzing, because we already know that the spirit is eternal and lives within us and with us, with us in him as the one same spirit of God (which never dies); a spirit that the human being was made, by design, to contain even in fullness unto overflowing (just like Jesus). Our problem as Christians is that we're just too meek when in truth our fearless charm ought to be right off the charts, but only in an inviting and never an offensive way.

S&F anyway, for the thought and the intent which was sincere.

Deny ignorance!

Best Regards, and for those who will - God Bless,

NAM

edit on 12-12-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kargun

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

First off we owe everything from space travel to modern medicine to Christian scientists. Now you might not like this but it is a stone cold fact.

The man we owe thanks to for space travel is Werner Von Braun. He was a former Nazi and head of Hilter's rocket programs..along with his work on the Apollo program.

With so much ignorance, antisemitism and pure dissdain for Christian on this site I thought I would like to make a short thread thanking Christians.

Does anyone else find it hilarious that you comment on antisemitism, and then give thanks to a former Nazi?

Werner Von Braun was not on my list. The Antisemite comment was a general statement about the themes on this site. I am still in the middle of making up my post on that subject as well as charities and medicine. Also bieng A Jew, living in Israel and having grandparents that survived the holocaust, i'm pretty sure I understand the word bieng that I speak a Semitic language.

Did you even read the list?

Your OP talked about us owing space flight to Christians, hence sheepslayer called you out on your knuckle-headedness. As for civilization owing a lot to Isaac Newton, didn't Newton, in turn, owe a lot to pagans, such as the ancient/classical Greeks who developed math and geometry? Wasn't most all of agriculture developed by pagans/heathens, so we owe a great debt to them. Christians are just johnny-come-latelies when it comes to human civilization. Isaac Newton did some despicable things, like try to undermine the man that developed accurate time pieces for determining longitude.

Hitler was a Christian and was raised a Catholic. And we owe so much to the Spanish inquisition -- particularly Jews do. Not. Yessiree, Christians are just all-around swell folk. I'm not putting down all Christians, just pointing out a few stark examples of bad ones or periods of time in which Christians did bad things. Sure, Christians have done good things too, but so have people of all other theological backgrounds. So why attempt to make a thread as portraying Christians as the civilization's primary advancers? Who developed gunpowder? Some Confucian Chinese. Where would gun-toting American Christians be without this advancement by heathens?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join