It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians are great

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This is not tounge and cheek.

With so much ignorance, antisemitism and pure dissdain for Christian on this site I thought I would like to make a short thread thanking Christians.

First off we owe everything from space travel to modern medicine to Christian scientists. Now you might not like this but it is a stone cold fact.

Here is a small list of Christian scientists.

en.wikipedia.org...

Some interesting ones from the link

Isaac Newton (1643–1727)

He is regarded as one of the greatest scientists and mathematicians in history. Newton's study of the Bible and of the early Church Fathers were among his greatest passions, though he consistently refused to swear his allegiance to the church. He wrote Observations upon the Prophecies of Daniel and the Apocalypse of St. John (Nontrinitarianism).[58]

Most people know that he was a Christian but people don't realize 80% of all his writings were about the Bible.

Galileo Galilei (1564–1642)

He didn't like Catholics all that much but he was a devout Christian. Wrote a ton about his faith.

Blaise Pascal (1623–1662)
René Descartes (1596–1650) These guys brought on the "Scientific revolution" yup, Christians.

Stephen Hales (1677–1761)

"A Copley Medal winning scientist significant to the study of plant physiology. As an inventor designed a type of ventilation system, a means to distill sea-water, ways to preserve meat, etc. In religion he was an Anglican curate who worked with the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge and for a group working to convert black slaves in the West Indies.[60]"

Safeway would like to thank this guy. Oh and everyone that eats.

Anyhow the list is long. From Lord Kelvin, Georg Cantor (hi set theory) to Max Plank and Werner Heisenberg the contributions to improving our society and all levels, be it Vacuum cleaners to the laws of gravity, these people believed in science and God.

These people were not the evil Christians. Some posters often say " I'd love to get rid of all the Christians" by doing so we would be living in the dark ages.
edit on Tue Dec 11 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Tue Dec 11 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

What are you talking about? There is no unfair or biased attacks against Christians on this site...
sarcasm intended.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
News Flash, everyone was a "Christian" back then.
I doubt these scientists were "really" Christians however.
They were too smart for that.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
antisemitism - I do not think it means what you think it means.

Here you go. Some research with your research.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

First off we owe everything from space travel to modern medicine to Christian scientists. Now you might not like this but it is a stone cold fact.

This is a product of a personal search for god.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kargun

These people were not the evil Christians. Some posters often say " I'd love to get rid of all the Christians" by doing so we would be living in the dark ages.

some would say it was the Christians who brought us into the dark ages.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalCountdown

This is the kind of mentality that just cracks me up.

Many, who feel that to believe in a higher power makes one "stupid", have an "elitist" attitude.

The sad part is that most of those who feel they are more intelligent or brighter than others are usually about as dumb as a box of rocks.
Quad
edit on 11-12-2012 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium

Many who feel that to believe in a higher power makes one "stupid" have an "elitist" attitude.

Quad

i think the issue lay in a Faith System that states exclusive ownership of said "higher powers".

in other words, i can believe in a higher power, and not be a Christian.

saying so does not make me an elitist. it makes me humble to the infinite which lay beyond our limited human scope, despite the zealots who shout otherwise.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

Sir Isaac Newton is best known for his science but most of what he wrote was Theology.

The reason for his scientific investigation was to understand how God had made everything.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Many, who feel that to believe in a higher power makes one "stupid", have an "elitist" attitude.

The sad part is that most of those who feel they are more intelligent or brighter than others are usually about as dumb as a box of rocks.
Quad

God? I never said believing in a higher power is stupid.
I am saying that believing in a corrupted "new testament" written over a hundred years after the so called jesus existed and making that the basis for your religion is stupid.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythos

Many who feel that to believe in a higher power makes one "stupid" have an "elitist" attitude.

Quad

i think the issue lay in a Faith System that states exclusive ownership of said "higher powers".

in other words, i can believe in a higher power, and not be a Christian.

saying so does not make me an elitist. it makes me humble to the infinite which lay beyond our limited human scope, despite the zealots who shout otherwise.

I did not say that YOU were an elitist. Perhaps you would like to read the post I quoted again.

To say someone is TOO SMART to be a Christian is taking an elitist attitude IMHO.
Quad

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

By your own estimation then I take it you're a Christian?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

The man we owe thanks to for space travel is Werner Von Braun. He was a former Nazi and head of Hilter's rocket programs..along with his work on the Apollo program.

With so much ignorance, antisemitism and pure dissdain for Christian on this site I thought I would like to make a short thread thanking Christians.

Does anyone else find it hilarious that you comment on antisemitism, and then give thanks to a former Nazi?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Quad

I am saying that believing in a corrupted "new testament" written over a hundred years after the so called jesus existed and making that the basis for your religion is stupid.

So you place ALL Christians in the same group. If you believe Christ died for you, then you're "stupid"?

Elitist attitude at it's finest. You believe it is a stupid religion, so that makes everyone who follows it stupid, huh?

Great outlook you have there

Perhaps you would like to take an IQ test and compare your score to mine? Some Christian's might surprise you.
Quad

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Once you've been called by God and experienced Christ, I don't think you would have that same attitude. If you're humble and willing enough, you will get the call, and when you do, you'll see how evil has made the whole world into a lie, you'll understand how the wool was pulled over our eyes. It's just like Morpheus talking about the Matrix, "That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind." I used to be just like all the other atheists, but thankfully God called me from the darkness and into the light, and it is so apparent, so in your face, that you just can't deny the truth any longer.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'll try and make this as non-biased as possible.

reply to post by Kargun

God was the answer for everything for millenia. As someone else mentioned, Newton was trying to better understand God by learning more through physics and calculus.

Only in the past two centuries have we discovered some of the more astounding facts about science and the universe that made us ask more questions about more things.

Is this to say that God doesn't exist? No. Many prominent scientists are agnostics. Does the Christian God exist? More and more evidence points to 'no.' That doesn't mean that something didn't create the universe, we just don't know what...yet.

We weren't even sure other galaxies existed until about 100 years ago. The concept of the atom hasn't been around for more than 150 years. Until Einstein, the 'reasonable' explanation for the universe was that it was filled with invisible, weightless ether that permeated all things.

Galileo, though proclaiming to believe in God, was excommunicated for suggesting that the Earth revolved around the sun. The church, or religion in general, doesn't accept opposing viewpoints very well.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

The man we owe thanks to for space travel is Werner Von Braun. He was a former Nazi and head of Hilter's rocket programs..along with his work on the Apollo program.

Does anyone else find it hilarious that you comment on antisemitism, and then give thanks to a former Nazi?

Werner Von Braun was not on my list. The Antisemite comment was a general statement about the themes on this site. I am still in the middle of making up my post on that subject as well as charities and medicine. Also bieng A Jew, living in Israel and having grandparents that survived the holocaust, i'm pretty sure I understand the word bieng that I speak a Semitic language.

Also do you think Von Braun would have had a clue about rocket propulsion without the giant shoulders of Newton?

Did you even read the list?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
I'll try and make this as non-biased as possible.

reply to post by Kargun

God was the answer for everything for millenia. As someone else mentioned, Newton was trying to better understand God by learning more through physics and calculus.

Only in the past two centuries have we discovered some of the more astounding facts about science and the universe that made us ask more questions about more things.

Is this to say that God doesn't exist? No. Many prominent scientists are agnostics. Does the Christian God exist? More and more evidence points to 'no.' That doesn't mean that something didn't create the universe, we just don't know what...yet.

We weren't even sure other galaxies existed until about 100 years ago. The concept of the atom hasn't been around for more than 150 years. Until Einstein, the 'reasonable' explanation for the universe was that it was filled with invisible, weightless ether that permeated all things.

Galileo, though proclaiming to believe in God, was excommunicated for suggesting that the Earth revolved around the sun. The church, or religion in general, doesn't accept opposing viewpoints very well.

I think this is a big missunderstanding. Look at the list, look at the ones alive right now. Also, the catholic church Is more pegan at times then a Ke$ha video.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Kargun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

What am I misunderstanding? Eighty percent of Americans identify as 'Christian' or some derivative of, I'm sure many of them are scientists. To suggest that without Christianity we wouldn't have science is completely wrong as a huge deal of our astronomical and mathematical knowledge comes from Muslims and ancient China. Newton wouldn't have calculus if not for the polytheist Pythagoras, who later went on to form his own religion.

Should we be thankful to the whole of Christianity for our GPS devices? No, if the church had it's way we'd still be believing that the Earth was the center of the universe and burning anyone at the stake who claimed otherwise.

Some Christians are great.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join