It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which books should i choose?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I know our schools in the UK are dumbing kids down so i was wondering if there is anyone out there that knows of any good books my kids should read instead of mainstream education books. Nothing to complicated though as in politics but I want my kids to grow up awake and aware of the world around them. Any suggestions on this matter would be appreciated........

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The bible?
Oh wait, that would be the opposite of what you want.
My bad.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I want them educated on the truth not brainwashed!!

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gazzachel
I want them educated on the truth not brainwashed!!

You dont find the "truth" in a book, you discover it by living a diverse and full life.

But some books give a great perspective on things …. some of the best book I have ever read

Confessions by Augustine of Hippo
The Road by Cormack McCarthy
Clash of Civilizations by Samuel Huntington
The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway
A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter Miller
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
Democracy in America by DeToqueville
Radical Chic by Tom Wolfe

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
thanks i will check em out..... by the way you do find truth in books.....

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
While there MAY be some good books out there, I'd recommend using the internet, just be VERY selective. The whole world is on the net, you yourself (OP) have used the net to ask your question, would you have got the answer from a book?
With a book you usualy get one persons viewpoint, its just like the telly, on the internet you can research what your being told.
The internet is the most powerfull education system the world has ever seen, thats why they dont want us to use it!!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Although books are brilliant, they won't give you all the answers to life, but these simple guidelines will.....

Getting out and about.....

Meeting people and conversing with them...

Try things once and twice if you like it....

Don't just stay in the street where you were brought up, explore and go further afield.....

Most importantly, travel, you won't learn anything by staying at home and festering in the street you grew up in....

Travel, Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel, Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel, Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel, Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel, Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel, Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel, Travel,Travel,Travel,Travel........................................

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Let them read what they want to read. As long as they want to read--and that's the real trick--they'll find their own way.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
"The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck

"Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck

"20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" Jules Verne

"To Kill a Mockingbird" Harper Lee

"The Catcher in the Rye" J.D. Salinger

"Where the Red Fern Grows" Wilson Rawls

The Narnia Series by C.S. Lewis

"The Hobbit" & "Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkein

"Gulliver's Travel's" by Jonathon Swift

Ray Bradbury and George Orwell are great authors, but it depends on how old your son is.

And just for good measure "The Theory of Relativity" By Albert Einstein

Thanks for wanting to give your son the gift of literature.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm not a big proponent of fiction... and the non-fiction I have is relatively obscure or specialized...

Please let me know the grade level and age we are suggesting for....

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by gazzachel

This book here - link - comes in an edition for all the elementary grade levels (1-6), and is filled with good information. Some of the history might be more American, since I am pretty sure it's published here, but there is world stuff as well, and all the other subjects also. My own kids have used these quite a lot; very handy books.

I think it's awesome that you are concerned enough to try and help them learn more. Wish more parents were that way! So many simply trust the schools to do it for them these days. My husband mentioned to me that he's known soldiers that learned to read. How the heck does that happen? Clearly, these are people that graduated high school, and yet they could not read!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
anything by Henry David Thoreau or Ralph Waldo Emerson

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

The Fountain Head by Ayn Rand...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If their perceptive they will find their own way. Let them learn for themselves and guide them along the way

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Influence by Robert Cialdini
Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

I think the best hope is the internet. The good books are becoming more and more rare. Most of the "spiritual" stuff out there is just New Age crap about manifesting "things" to be happy, or believing and praying or having "faith" in a god and savior. The same positivity and savior stuff that is always talked about. And as usual, political books are just propaganda.

If I HAD to choose, I would say

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu

The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Tristmegistus

And most importantly, remember to "Know Thyself" in order to LOVE thyself.

join