It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Far Cry 3 and my little video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
So I don't usually pay this much attention to a video game in particular, although I love them, I don't usually get this amazed by them... but Far Cry 3 is the exception.

For those who don't know it, its a complete open world with true free roam, do whatever you want, the way you want. Hunting all kinds of animals from pigs to tigers is also a big part of this game since you'll need their skins if you want to have better stuff. Set on a south pacific island that lives and breathes with its own culture, wild life and the occasional drug and human trafficking warlords.

Its landscapes are something I've never seen in any video game - from dusk to dawn it truly is a beautiful game. If you ever been in an hostile jungle, this will bring you memories, if not, this is the closest you can get to one without the actual danger of being killed or captured.

Anyway I've done a little video about it... hope you guys like it. I've never done a video before so... go easy on me

(oh the video can be seen in hd - full 1080 for those who like to fill their entire screen with all the little details
)

P.s Oh and enjoy the soundtrack

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
i am currently playing this game also and i love it! one of the best of the year. the map is so massive i wonder if i can even explore it all. its so engaging i might have to discover every corner.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It really is quite an amazing game. The World is so huge an immersive, I have wasted so much time fluffing around exploring.

Its also quite funny for me when I play as most of the voice actors are New Zealanders. "Kia Ora brother"
edit on 11-12-2012 by homeslice because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
thats was a nice video

i think im gonna play tonight a little bit because of you lol

Farcry 1 was really really one of the best game ever

Farcry 2 ..

Farcry 3 not so bad so far .. maybe need to play a bit more lol

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
True... the world is really massive. I have the game since it came out and I didnt leave the first island yet... all the little treasures, sites, relics, camps etc keep me busy outside the main story line
Every time I turn off the game I end up thinking "damn I didnt do JACK all these hours!!!"

And of course... maybe my "thing" about this game has to do with the maori also... I may be a little biased!

So thats also why I posted about this game... its awesome and gets people curious about the beautiful maori culture... and like they say, ki te kahore he whakakitenga ka ngaro te iwi! So I share!

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
thats was a nice video

i think im gonna play tonight a little bit because of you lol

Farcry 1 was really really one of the best game ever

Farcry 2 ..

Farcry 3 not so bad so far .. maybe need to play a bit more lol

hehe thanks!
Took me a bit to do because, well first of all I've never done a video before and second because I dont have enough progression in the game... still on the first island and well not really much to show about the story. I spend all my time in there doing anything but the story.

A friend of mine says that he feels safe thinking that if he's ever kidnapped on an island for human trafficking he's sure I'll be watching the landscapes and hunting wild boars instead of keeping him from being sold...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
the video makes me want to drive around the island now.
I thought that i might be bored of this game by now but i still love it.
has anyone got the wingsuit yet? it's so much fun,
the co-op missions are pretty cool too.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Okay OP.. I blame you. It's all your fault. I sat down to check out this game after seeing your thread and wondering if it could be as good as Far Cry II for open play styles..and next thing I know? It's pushing dawn and I got nothing done. lol...

Now I have a game I'll be playing for weeks as time permits. How stunningly nice on the game! I tried venturing to the Southern Island before I called it a night..err...day..and that is where it told me I'd left the playing area and killed me. Altho...I couldn't help but notice...not before turning on symbols across the WHOLE southern area of the map screen....so that whole area does exist as a play field it just takes steps to open it.

I know..^^ I could learn all that in 5 minutes on a cheat/spoiler site..but then what is the fun of discovery?
Thanks for turning me on to a GREAT new game for the Holidays! I can see losing many many an hour to the islands there.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Okay OP.. I blame you. It's all your fault. I sat down to check out this game after seeing your thread and wondering if it could be as good as Far Cry II for open play styles..and next thing I know? It's pushing dawn and I got nothing done. lol...

Now I have a game I'll be playing for weeks as time permits. How stunningly nice on the game! I tried venturing to the Southern Island before I called it a night..err...day..and that is where it told me I'd left the playing area and killed me. Altho...I couldn't help but notice...not before turning on symbols across the WHOLE southern area of the map screen....so that whole area does exist as a play field it just takes steps to open it.

I know..^^ I could learn all that in 5 minutes on a cheat/spoiler site..but then what is the fun of discovery?
Thanks for turning me on to a GREAT new game for the Holidays! I can see losing many many an hour to the islands there.

I think that for the second island you have to get a wingsuit... but I dont know because I'm still gathering all the little damn relics

And yes... well unfortunately you do have to keep a watch close when yer playing fc3... I always keep my cellphone between me and my keyboard as a reminder that real life actually exists... oh well...

Hehe take care

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Well, I have to say, this is a real winner. By far, it's become my favorite of the year. Sure...2012 hasn't had a ton of real winners to begin with (At least not ones I've seen) this one really does make a nice end to the year. Wow... The free form is just incredible. Even Far Cry II still had distinct linear flow to the game. It WAS open compared to any other game...but linear nonetheless. Only Just Cause is similar for what I've played and this beats that by a long shot.

I can't wait to dig into the map editor. Hmmm.. I wonder.... How could this engine be used for a base to info graphics? Oh the graphic detail and flow of the scenes make real possibilities depending on how the editor works.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Well, I have to say, this is a real winner. By far, it's become my favorite of the year. Sure...2012 hasn't had a ton of real winners to begin with (At least not ones I've seen) this one really does make a nice end to the year. Wow... The free form is just incredible. Even Far Cry II still had distinct linear flow to the game. It WAS open compared to any other game...but linear nonetheless. Only Just Cause is similar for what I've played and this beats that by a long shot.

I can't wait to dig into the map editor. Hmmm.. I wonder.... How could this engine be used for a base to info graphics? Oh the graphic detail and flow of the scenes make real possibilities depending on how the editor works.

Well the editor is not very good to be honest. Its quite restrictive specially when it comes to the area you can mess around with. I think it needs to be "unlocked" if you want to get close to the game itself. The area of the editor is too small... but yes I've done some stuff to test it out.

It needs to be heavily modded to be a real tool. I mean you can build stuff and everything but... you feel a bit restricted to whats in there. It kinda reminds me the first look into the first HL engine where you could make stuff but you could only use HL textures and objects. Even in HL you could sculpt a bit, then apply the texture, then scale it, some sort of uvw mapping simplified, then you placed your "actions" like if it was a lift or a rail cart or a moving vehicle... in here is more like Walls - Brick walls - choose from 7 - apply, wall appears, place rotate whatever. Not really what I would call freedom of action. But like I said... unlocked will be more fun. Altho the texture painting for the landscape is really good. But there arent really modeling tools except for terrain. I'm thinking if I wanted to model a porsche, I would do it in 3ds or whatever but then wheres the "import" tool? Maybe I've just skipped it, but I havent seen it. Terrain tools like I said are good and I spent my time on the editor designing caves lol...

Or... do what I did - just download cryengine 3 (which is not fc3's engine btw - fc3 still runs on a heavily modded cryengine1 called dunia) and play around... and that one yes, that one I'm yet to find its limits.

Although you'll need a ... "generous" machine to make use of it fully. CryEngine3 would be better for info graphics also.

EDIT: of course no voxel sculpting if you're wondering lol
edit on 13-12-2012 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I am playing this now and just got to the second island. I do Not like some things about this game. You cannot switch (choose) your active quests like you do in most games. Once you start a quest, you have to finish it before going on and sometimes the game forces you in directions you don't want to go yet. You do not have total freedom. You cannot even try to shoot the girl and tell her you dont wanna drink her poison or shoot other quest givers - your just stuck, unlike other games. Even though this game has a lot to do, and you are in an open world you still get the felling of being in a linear game.

In the Handbook, they list a total of 14 Story Quest that are somehow different from the main Mission Quest. I haven't come across one of these and have no clue what they are - cant find any info on them either via a google search.

Otherwise it's a good game, better I think than FarCry 2 just not quite up to par with today's games in the freedom of choice area.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Iv become hella picky over the years, or maybe I was already like that. I usually only buy the games I know I am going to be spending a lot of time on, which usually comes down to competitive online games because of the immense replayability or RPG's, I used to play MMO's but kind of faded out of that. Even if a game is good like Far Cry 3 if it does not have replayabilty then I usually rent it and just plow my way through it in a weekend. If far cry 3 had a solid multilayer I would go and pick it up right now, but as it stands right now I probably wont. The far cry series were really good games even though usually after you beat them they end up in the closet, I personally like far cry 1, and far cry 2 kind of killed it for me, but how knows they say the third times the charm. I'm so thinking about getting this game.

join