It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IL Concealed Carry Ban Struck Down

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

The Second Amendment states in its entirety that ‘a well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed‘. The right to ‘bear’ as distinct from the right to ‘keep’ arms is unlikely to refer to the home. To speak of ‘bearing’ arms within one’s home would at all times have been an awkward usage. A right to bear arms thus implies a right to carry a loaded gun outside the home.”

Ruling Here

Or Here

Now IL gets to dance around it and put up so many roadblocks that practical application of ones rights is nigh impossible as DC has done.

And one doesn’t have to be a historian to realize that a right to keep and bear arms for personal self-defense
in the eighteenth century could not rationally have been limited to the home.

edit on 11-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Oh, this will be a good show. Irresistible force meets immovable object. The Appellate level meets Rahmbo as the Mayor of Chicago. lol.... I can't wait to see the fireworks over Chicagoland. I'll bet he's cussing a blue streak right now if he's been told yet. I love it..... Appeals court trumps their little concept of flaunting a basic Constitutional right and it's about time a court stood up to make it official.
Thanks for delivering the good news!

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No doubt Rahm is throwing a fit.

Amazing that a mayor of a city seems to have more clout, control and pull than the governor of the state.

Anyway, some more info:

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals has invalidated Illinois’s ban on carrying loaded weapons in public, and given the General Assembly 180 days to come up with a new law that meets the Second Amendment.

Source: www.nbcchicago.com...

180 days to comply with the Bill of Rights. How crazy is it that order has to be given in the "land of the free."

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No doubt Rahm is throwing a fit.

Amazing that a mayor of a city seems to have more clout, control and pull than the governor of the state.

Anyway, some more info:

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals has invalidated Illinois’s ban on carrying loaded weapons in public, and given the General Assembly 180 days to come up with a new law that meets the Second Amendment.

Source: www.nbcchicago.com...

180 days to comply with the Bill of Rights. How crazy is it that order has to be given in the "land of the free."

How much you want to bet that hypocritical little toe-head carrys a firearm on his person.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Another gem from the ruling:

Illinois had to provide us with more than merely a rational basis for believing that its uniquely sweeping ban is justified by an increase in public safety. It has failed to meet this burden.

Surely somebody was able to produce numbers proving that the ban made the people of Illinois safer?

Guess not.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Ruling Here

Now, "File not found".

edit on 12/11/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

Ruling Here

Now, "File not found".

They moved it Im guessing since it was stored in a /tmp/ directory.

Other items on the 7th circuit site are down as well.

Hopefully they get it squared away soon.

ETA: New Link Courtesy of SunTimes.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Gang Bangers and Criminals in Illinois are appalled at this ruling!!!

(About Time)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

Ruling Here

Now, "File not found".

They moved it Im guessing since it was stored in a /tmp/ directory.

Other items on the 7th circuit site are down as well.

Hopefully they get it squared away soon.

ETA: New Link Courtesy of SunTimes.

keep getting a "file damaged" message from my PC on the link. in any case some good news is always a welcome site.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I can see already "them" marching down the street to the governors house to show their outrage of such an unfair rule in favor of the constitution. I guess people forgot that only crocks, gangs and criminals are the only ones to be able to protect themselves in society.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by sonnny1

I can see already "them" marching down the street to the governors house to show their outrage of such an unfair rule in favor of the constitution.

Poor Rahm leading the way......

I am sure they will find a way to stall this. Chicago style Politics runs that whole State.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Either that or the crocks actually have plenty of money to pay mulitimillion dollar lobbyist to work for the state officials, after all in the US money talks and BS walk even if it comes from the crocks themselves.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
So when does this take effect? Could I start carrying in my vehicle or do I have to wait till the new law is written?
I'm sure the cops around here would s*** a brick if I went downtown carrying on my hip. Knowing these small town trigger happy clowns, I'd never get to say a word. Just shot on sight like a wild animal. Think I'll call the local sheriff and ask if they're up on this.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Ive read some commentators claim that since IL's law was struck down and no new law exists yet that the only law is the 2nd A.

In that case you could strap it on and stroll downtown.

IRL however I expect such an action would be a death sentence.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

This is exciting. I love when states' and voters attempts to trample the Constitution end up biting them in the (glutes.) I don't remember which state or states, but there was at least one state who voted to bar gay marriage, which ended up going to the state supreme court, resulting in them being one of the first states to allow gay marriage.

Illinois (my state) has been one of the biggest anti-gun states, and now has been overridden by the courts to allow concealed carry.

I know people have been whining about judges "legislating from the bench" for years now, but this is the job of the State and US Supreme Courts. When over-zealous anti-American legislators and/or voters decide they're going to trample the rights of individuals, either because they believe they have the power to do so (as is the case with Congresses), or because they hold the majority (as in the case of voters choosing to limit the rights of minorities), the courts can step in and un-do the anti-American attempts at limiting freedom.

Let's hope nobody let's Springfield get away with making it a $50,000 permit, only given to those whose names begin and end with "x", between the ages of 107 and 112, IF their name is picked in a lottery where 1 permit may be issued every 360 years.

I'll be first in line for my CC permit.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Looks like the anti-gun crowds hopes of some highly restrictive NJ, NYC, DC style law is unlikely and Illinois becoming a bonafide "shall-issue" state with no special clauses for Chicago is the plan in motion:

“The anti-gunners have been preparing for this contingency, but we will not have the law that they want: New Jersey on steroids. We have the majority in both chambers. We will have a Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida-style law.”
link

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

I'll be first in line for my CC permit.

Look at the guy behind you, that's me.

One of the big problems I see coming is the price. Here we have a state severely strapped for cash, that finds a new way to gather funds. I will bet the fees will top $100 if they can get away with it. Then we have the matter of how many hoops we have to jump through and what excuse they can use to disqualify a person. Again, I'm willing to bet it'll be a long list.
edit on 11-12-2012 by DAVID64 because: add

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
So when does this take effect? Could I start carrying in my vehicle or do I have to wait till the new law is written?
I'm sure the cops around here would s*** a brick if I went downtown carrying on my hip. Knowing these small town trigger happy clowns, I'd never get to say a word. Just shot on sight like a wild animal. Think I'll call the local sheriff and ask if they're up on this.

It depends.

In wisconsin, where I live, open carry is legal everywhere excepting banks government buildings and i think schools. You'd have to check Illinois state laws regarding open carry.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Get a few, in Different States.

Harder for anyone to deny you.....

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11235813213455
How much you want to bet that hypocritical little toe-head carrys a firearm on his person.

If Rombo doesn't pack heat it's because he runs around with a heavy police detail. Gotta love the gun ban crowd who claim mere mortals like us can't be trusted with firearms while they are protected by armed squads.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join