It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: Cell Phone Scams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This morning just after eight am my cell phone rang. I was surprised because I don't get a lot of calls on my cell phone. I hadn't been up very long and was still working on my first cup of coffee so I was not yet mentally awake.

I have a land line and my family and friends usually call me on that phone. I live literally out in the boonies so I have a cell phone for when I go to town which is 86 miles away. The cell phone is basically for emergencies.

I didn't recognize the phone number that came up but I decided to answer anyway. You never know if family or friends are calling from another number.

The call went something like this:

Me: "hello"
Caller: "Congratulations, you have won 95,000 dollars and a mumble, mumble car which is red."
Me: "Oh?"
Caller: " I am calling from the Publishers Clearing House office in Albuquerque. This is ligit."
Me: thinking: yeah, right..."Ok, then you know my name?"
Caller: "I have called your cell phone. Mumble, mumble your first and last name."
Me: "So, you know my name?"

The caller hung up. Why was I not surpised?

The caller had either an East Indian accent or an Arabic accent.
The number of the caller was 1-876-407-0772. I'm posting the number here so others who might receive calls from it can be forwarned.

Has anyone else received a call like this? It really is a shame that people prey on others. Whatever the new technology, evil people will find a way to use it to scam the innocent and naive.

I had a hard time deciding whether to put this in general chit chat or rave forum. Mods, move this if you need to.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Sounds like Ed McMahon was drunk dialing again.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Did you call it back? This number has been involved in several incidents. A quick google check reveals this

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 1PLA1

I have gotten calls like this on my landline many times.It had gotten so
bad that we had to have our phone number changed to an unlisted one.
I don't get very many phishing calls like this anymore.Good luck.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Did you call it back? This number has been involved in several incidents. A quick google check reveals this

Yes, I dialed the number back.
Got a recording saying the number could not be completed.

I looked at your link and it reminded me that the caller did say I had won a package worth $95,000.00.

Thanks for posting the link.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I don't know how often this happens in the US of A but over here it's bad. I get calls from people saying i've won this and that, people telling me I have a virus on my computer. I get calls from people saying I can claim ££££'s for an accident I wasn't even in. So many cold calls from different people for different things.

It's like they're part of the family now though. If i'm in a good mood i'll play along for a bit until we get to the details part and i'll say something like... I don't own any phones. Confuse em' a little...

I usually google the number and see what comes up. There are loads of sites out there dedicated to posting cold call numbers.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

Too funny SilentE. A sense of humor does help in coping with this nonsense.

I'll have to remember the I don't own any phones response.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1PLA1

I looked at your link and it reminded me that the caller did say I had won a package worth $95,000.00.

I just had a thought.... it hurts

What if, one day, one of us actually won something. Be it a car or a lump sum....and we tell him/her where to go... We'd never know!!
]
edit on 11-12-2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

reply to post by SilentE

Too funny SilentE. A sense of humor does help in coping with this nonsense.

I'll have to remember the I don't own any phones response.

It's the best way to not lose your rag.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a phone though. If it's your IP address they're after, you can tell them you don't have a laptop... after going through the process with them first though....otherwise, it's not that funny.

Use your imagination!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Pretty good site that has phone numbers posted that were submitted by intended victims:
CallerTattler

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm not surprised. I received a call like that, too. Although mine came from this number: 516-506-0055. Told me I won $1 million and a brand new Mercedes. But as much as it would be nice to get all that, I knew it was a scam. I told the caller I've been scammed before and because of that, I requested for the police to tap into my phone line and they heard what the caller told me. The caller hung up right away.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
And guess what? I looked up the phone number online and here's what I got: www.callercenter.com... . It looks like somebody else received a call from that scammer, too.

Could these phone numbers be related? After all, they're of the same strategies.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE

I just had a thought.... it hurts

What if, one day, one of us actually won something. Be it a car or a lump sum....and we tell him/her where to go... We'd never know!!
]
edit on 11-12-2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

Ed McMahon will show up on my doorstep if I win something from Publisher's Clearing House.

Basically, one must enter a contest to win. I don't enter contests because they just want my address, phone number and email address. So, I am sure I haven't won anything from anyone.

new topics

top topics

join