It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you keep your hair whilst on Chemo?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
So my aunt was diagnosed with ovarian cancer two weeks ago and she has already had her first treatment of chemo. I had read and studied about cancer previous to this which I guess is good as I will be able to help her however one thing I never really looked into is how to stop hair fall during chemo.

For a man its no big deal to shave your hair off but for a woman it can be seriously traumatic. I'm going to look into this myself but thought I would post this as some of you may have already done so. My aunt has been told she will lose her hair and has already ordered a wig but I know this is going to really stress her out.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I wish your aunt and and her family the best of luck through this treatment.

As for the hair loss, it's unavoidable unfortunately. There are some kinds of treatment which can slow the rate of hair loss, but not negate it entirely, but your aunt's doctor has probably already decided the best course of treatment for her.

It's an emotionally traumatic event, but only because society says so. As you said yourself, hair loss in men is accepted while women have to hide it and cover it up. My advice would be to help your aunt own her scalp. Why should she buy a wig? She can wear a bandana or a hat outside if it's cold. Her baldness is a symbol to her and the rest of the world that she is fighting cancer and winning.

If she's ashamed of something, it will hurt her. Your job is to make her feel comfortable no matter what, being bald doesn't change her as a person, so why should she put on a wig every day to face the world?
edit on 11-12-2012 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Tell your Aunt that when a woman has lost her hair while fighting cancer, that it is a badge of honor and courage.
Tell her to be proud to be standing up to this life changing battle. Others will look at her the same.

Some people lose all hair, there are those who lose only some hair. The type of chemo and length of time on it also influences that.
There are beautiful scarves available, people will know what she is going through, many will stop and shake her hand and tell of their own battle and survival.

Another interesting side effect is when it grows back, it may even change color, or be curly, or lose all the gray.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Herllo, please watch this Documentary and pass it on to your friend, Peace.

edit on 11-12-2012 by Baguul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Thanks...She ordered the wig herself almost straightaway so I guess this is how she feels about this.

I have read about the cold cap now but she would have had to use that whilst having the chemo so that option is closed unless it can be used during the second round.

I have read about Alopestatin but thats not available yet to my knowledge...only started searching so will see what I can find.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It depends on what kind o chemo she is getting. In my first round I had lost my hair, in the second round I was minus the one that makes you lose your hair. I wish her luck, courage and strength.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Oh I just re-read your post. You said her doctor said that she will lose her hair, so yes, she must expect that. It will be gone in about 3 weeks. When I was first diagnosed I had very long hair and it was traumatic for me. Even now, it has grown in nice and full but I have always hated short hair with a passion on me, so it's still difficult to deal with. The cancer is gone though and that's what is important.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

Forgot to f&s you, blessings..

new topics

top topics

join