It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Accidentally Transmits Self-Destruct Code to Army of Chrome Browsers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
It actually makes me laugh that some people on this site actually still use Google for "research.

I don't understand that part. People use google to research the same way they use roads to buy groceries.

aka, they both lead to places to attain said things, not get things in and of itself..it is simply a facilitator..

I heard that argument before...that if you use google to research stuff, its bad info..like somehow the search engine has transformed into a wiki (could be..I might be missing an option).

Or the more open ended "internet" in general..commercials (insurance companies) are now putting out the meme that if its said on the internet, its basically a lie..nevermind where on the internet, which websites...just, if its on the internet, its probably false.

I think there is a misinfo meme being subtly pushed lately by big Co. to get people in a mindset that the entire internet is a source of cute kitten videos and trash so that you revert back to classic msm sources (easily controlled resources).

Sorry, didn't mean to go into a mini-rant..just seen that last sentence and triggered my annoyance at something a bit more general.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I found their browser to be very nice... until as time passed... it became bigger and more intrusive...

Oh. It is ... and also has become so, to an extent, but i'll continue using it as it's by far the best, still .... 's long as you noose the sumbutch down and choke the living data[sic]lights out of it -

Ummm.......I've got IE running bing, Firefox using Bing, Safari, Chrome, and Tor. Of all of those browsers, Chrome is the slowest......worse even than Safari if you can believe it. The fastest are Firefox and IE. I know go ahead and flame me.....I DETEST Google and everything to do with it, so I try not to use it. I just dont care for their eagerness to censor and their hand in hand relationship with NSA and the feds....Not that any of the other browser's are any better in that regard.

YouSir

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I suppose many people think simply in terms of 'what they know about me' as the core issue of the Google data vacuum.

I wouldn't care much either, except that I can't clear my memory of the countless times data breaches have occurred, how "big data" will end up with the equivalent of robust psychological profiles about everyone who uses the internet... and of course the fact that nearly any government has access to all of it, at their whim and for their pleasure.

After seeing how marketing and psychology have become inseparable bedfellows, manufacturing consent, bending our collective ignorance to the benefit of commercial enterprises, who in turn become the 'sponsors' of the politicians making the rules... and knowing that the people have neither ownership of their own information, nor redress to challenge the 'use' of it... well... I guess I'm old-fashioned.

Liberty does not exist without privacy.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

It's become a bad source for information as Google chooses which sites it will link to and which ones it won't. Before, (say 4 to 5 months ago), I would get decent search results, but it seems like every month after that point, the results would get more and more muddied in crap. If you want decent search results, I'd recommend the Qrobe.it app for Firefox. It compiles search results from 3 or 4 different search engines and displays them all. That way you don't have to rely on a corporate monstrosity for all your information.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Wake up little Suzie...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Originally posted by Klassified
... and leave sync alone.

agreed.

I'm just not that comfortable with the whole 'cloud computing' dealio [yet]. too many bugs. too much exploitable security issues and the like

I would add to this...there's not much benefit to "the cloud" for most people. I have my desktop at home, my desktop at work, amd a laptop. I have a 32gb thumb drive for backup storage and transference. I have no use of having my personal, or business, data or applications to reside on "the cloud", which is just a marketing term for "sommeone else's hard drive, which you access via the internet." (put simply)

And for those paying for "secure online storage" for family photos, etc...how about a fire-proof box with a backup drive in it? More secure, and less expensive in the long term.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

Originally posted by JimmyNeutron
I haven't seen anyone mention SRWARE's Iron browser. It's based on Chromium and doesn't have any of the bloatware crud that Chrome has nor any of the privacy issues. It comes pretty well locked down for security and bills itself as the most secure browser available.

I highly recommend it.
www.srware.net...

And if you are concerned about search privacy - use www.startpage.com...

I downloaded this and when I opened it AVG launched an adware trojan warning.

Would like to find an alternative to Chrome. I like it's streamlined minimalist look, but I constantly get notices from AVG regarding high memory usage, even when I only have 1 or 2 tabs open.

Wow - I have never had that problem and I run AVG on all of my computers. Weird.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I don't use any google products after hearing too many stories of how intrusive they are and how much data mining they do. I don't care what their privacy policy says today, that could all change tomorrow. I don't think anything is private online anyway.

Think about it. I have a yahoo account for signing up to sites that I know will spam me to death. I keep in totally "anonymous" unlike Facebook. But I am sure there is an algorithm out there that connects IP addresses with site visit/logins and aggregates all of your data under your name.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I suppose many people think simply in terms of 'what they know about me' as the core issue of the Google data vacuum.

I wouldn't care much either, except that I can't clear my memory of the countless times data breaches have occurred, how "big data" will end up with the equivalent of robust psychological profiles about everyone who uses the internet... and of course the fact that nearly any government has access to all of it, at their whim and for their pleasure.

After seeing how marketing and psychology have become inseparable bedfellows, manufacturing consent, bending our collective ignorance to the benefit of commercial enterprises, who in turn become the 'sponsors' of the politicians making the rules... and knowing that the people have neither ownership of their own information, nor redress to challenge the 'use' of it... well... I guess I'm old-fashioned.

Liberty does not exist without privacy.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

Amen!

As for those people who are Firefox diehards - I can't understand why you use it. It's bloated and takes forever to load.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I saw this problem worse than most of you Monday, but guess where I contract now?

I have to use Chrome to do my job, and on Ubuntu to top it off! We see errors constantly with the fact it caches EVERYTHING. Even after you tell it to stop there's tons of workarounds that tend to only do what rebooting your system after a cleared cache does, not much. At home I refuse to use Google products other than GEarth because I like the globe reference. But the map data synching is what scares me, it tries to share so much between products it's bound to cause a huge issue eventually, right?

For now it's a job but man this company makes some crappy stuff! Oh and they feed us too much dry chicken!!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JimmyNeutron

Amen! As for those people who are Firefox diehards - I can't understand why you use it. It's bloated and takes forever to load.

I don't have that problem. Firefox works very fast for me. The only times I run into slow page loads or downloads is when I am loading from a site with a slow server. Otherwise pages load and refresh in the blink of an eye for me. I find it much faster than Internet Explorer, but then most everything is faster than IE. In fact I have been downloading as many as four YouTube videos at once and watching NetFlix at the same time without a problem. I also normally keep from 10 to 15 tabs open all the time and sometimes I have multiple windows open too.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JimmyNeutron

Umm because it works
It has a wonderful amount of plugins
It does not track you
If you think it is bloated then I think you must have a very bad / old computer

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
CIA is deeply associated with Google. Tops of Google are CIA employees. Now the CIA is working on the development of electronic weapons for psychological wars. Deprivation of information is one of information war methods, it may even draw a man to the noose. In Moscow there were several cases when people deprived of Internet hung themselves to death! So I think that Google products are compromised. The Google company is a branch of CIA.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join