Google Accidentally Transmits Self-Destruct Code to Army of Chrome Browsers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Wonder how many of these people are against using facebook because of privacy. .

I am totally against using Facebook just for the privacy problem. My kids don't understand and think I'm a raving lunatic about it.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JimmyNeutron

Same with me... I keep telling them... they don't care. Perhaps it's a generational thing... they don't have the same expectations we do... or don't care if they become subject to the whims of a marketing algorithm.

I understand that "commerce" is supposed to be harmless... but knowing this industry and her players... they're not gonna protect anything... unless they are compelled to by law... (and even then, they'll still try to get away with any loopholes they can.)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I think lots of people are okay with becoming brands themselves - so whatever they put on Facebook they just don't care if it's used in a marketing campaign, or if a HR department looks at it - they love themselves too much and think John Doe-the-brand is much better than simply John Doe-the-private-citizen.

Google takes way more data from its users anyway; GMail bots read emails to target advertising.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

i have a question :

what evidence does any one have for this claim of " self- destruct code " transmitted ??????

because i see " cascade failure " - ie one app is reliant on data from another app - nd when app one fails - app two is doomed

that is poor management - not a " self destruct code "

each app in the ` chain ` should be able to function as a stand alone component - users should accept that each " stand alone " app - is going to offer only a fraction of what the integrated app cloud can deliver - but each should be able to do something by iteslf

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimmyNeutron
I haven't seen anyone mention SRWARE's Iron browser. It's based on Chromium and doesn't have any of the bloatware crud that Chrome has nor any of the privacy issues. It comes pretty well locked down for security and bills itself as the most secure browser available.

I highly recommend it.
www.srware.net...

And if you are concerned about search privacy - use www.startpage.com...

I downloaded this and when I opened it AVG launched an adware trojan warning.

Would like to find an alternative to Chrome. I like it's streamlined minimalist look, but I constantly get notices from AVG regarding high memory usage, even when I only have 1 or 2 tabs open.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Thank you for your tips on how to throttle back Chrome. I love Chrome, it has some great features, but my computer has turned into a slug on start up, and I even have a speed booster, so your information will help as well as give me back some privacy.

I have had trouble loading Google search off and on this week, relating to the OP.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Internet Explorer, the number one browser for downloading a better browser.

I have been a FireFox user for quite a while now. But I also keep background processes to an absolute minimum and run msconfig on a regular basis. I used Stopzilla anti virus as well and it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Before I got Stopzilla I had one of those malware programs hit me with a splash screen that said my computer was infected and I could "cure" it by buying their $69.95 program. When that hit every program from AutoCad to solitaire returned a message that it was infected and shut down. I ended up saving all my data and restoring my computer to "out of the box" condition. That was a four day process as I had some heavy software installed. After my son recommended Stopzilla and I installed it I got hit twice more by the same malware but was able to reboot and run Stopzilla and clean it up. Apparently Stopzilla has some kind of internal protection from that type of malware and will run in spite of it on a fresh re-boot.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Maxmars

i have a question :
what evidence does any one have for this claim of " self- destruct code " transmitted ??????
because i see " cascade failure " - ie one app is reliant on data from another app - nd when app one fails - app two is doomed
that is poor management - not a " self destruct code "
each app in the ` chain ` should be able to function as a stand alone component - users should accept that each " stand alone " app - is going to offer only a fraction of what the integrated app cloud can deliver - but each should be able to do something by iteslf

As another member noted; the use of the term was an obvious editorial attempt to make the article draw more attention. We see this crop up often within Breaking Alternative News because we are obliged to use the source article headline... no matter how poorly it is crafted. Sometimes it's a terrible burden.

You are correct of course, there was no "self-destruct code" it was "code" that caused the browser to crash completely... even though according to Chrome developers only one tab should crash at a time - not the whole browser.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
My browser crashed countless times yesterday. I was curious if something was going on. Of course being the conspirator that I am, I thought something more sinister. DUN DUN DUN

Thanks for that though. S/F.

-SAP-

edit on 11-12-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
google?? it's getting harder to research what you want, due to all the ADVERTIZEMENT WEBSITES!!!!!! ....DIE GOOGLE, DIE !!!!!....sorry, just had to get that rant out. i try and NOT use it, it has become that bad for me.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I had to stop using Chrome over the summer when they did some kind of update. Whatever they did the browser started munching on RAM like it was candy, crashing the OS, freezing, every action brought about the Spinning Wheel of Death (I use a mac). It was causing permission errors all over the place.. never seen a browser so completely and utterly wreck havoc on an OS before.. so it's gone, buh bye .. never use another Google product outside of Gmail. And only because I never have to open Gmail to use Gmail.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
My browser crashed too, but I had no idea it was so widespread until yesterday.

Yes, I use the sync service, its the best way to keep my bookmarks available between Linux and Windows.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I swear, Mozilla has never looked so beautiful to me than right now lol. I'm glad I never jumped on the Chrome bandwagon. I honestly don't know why so many people were, when Firefox has literally everything you could ever want in a browser, and if it doesn't have it by default, it makes downloading AddOns so easy, a one fingered chimp could do it. As far as I'm concerned, the default security measures are beyond comparison, as well, and if they're still not good enough for ya, there's an app for that lol. To hell with Google. I lost my respect for them years ago. You can't even get decent search results in the Search Engine these days. It actually makes me laugh that some people on this site actually still use Google for "research."
edit on 11/12/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
It was inevitable. Any of you guys remember when Netscape was around and you had to pay for it? It was either that or use Microsoft's clunky piece of crap. But people are all about free for themselves or at least cheap for themselves. Hence you now get the browser free but you get a microscope up the anus. I'm not quite ready to surf the Internet via telnet just yet (except for geeky fun) but I would never have touched Chrome...

I even worry about Firefox (the bastard child of Netscape) but with so much hardware watching us on Internet backbones I'm not sure there is any way out short of borrowing somebody Else's network connection from a long ways out. You are now bagged tagged and databased. And hardly a person cares as long as they get their Internet fix. Lol, damn cattle...
edit on 11-12-2012 by Apollumi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apollumi
It was inevitable. Any of you guys remember when Netscape was around and you had to pay for it? It was either that or use Microsoft's clunky piece of crap. But people are all about free for themselves or at least cheap for themselves. Hence you now get the browser free but you get a microscope up the anus. I'm not quite ready to surf the Internet via telnet just yet (except for geeky fun) but I would never have touched Chrome...

I even worry about Firefox (the bastard child of Netscape) but with so much hardware watching us on Internet backbones I'm not sure there is any way out short of borrowing somebody Else's network connection from a long ways out. You are now bagged tagged and databased. And hardly a person cares as long as they get their Internet fix. Lol, damn cattle...
edit on 11-12-2012 by Apollumi because: (no reason given)

MOOOOO

Actually, at 73 and retired I don't much care what they know about me. It won't do them any good anyway.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

ps thanks for the tips, I'll have to see if there is a thread out there with more information on how to better tune up Chrome.
reply to post by Lonewulph

Let us know if you find any thing useful.....

I personally don't use the "cloud" services.
I'm still unsure of them and their security.

Nor do I do FB or Twitter.....
I'm just not that much into myself I guess to post every thing I say and do. :LOL:
So I know others don't care either.....

Thanks,
snarky
edit on 11-12-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I've got a dozen+ tabs opened in chrome at the moment in ubuntu. It's hovering at around 5% for the combined 4 threads on my i3 clocked at a mere 2.5ghz. Not sure what kinda junk you got on there. All I did was slap on an anti-ad extension and kept everything else default without any problems.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Why I use Firefox. Chrome is just a massive piece of spyware.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I used to use Netscape way back in the day , I never had to pay for it.
I will never use Cloud services.
I will never use Google software , so FireFox IMHO is the best browser . .

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Well i use sync every day at college, i bookmark things that i want to look at at home then when i get to college i boot up chrome portable and it syncs with my home PC, I couldn't do it on Monday and i guess this is why, Thanks for the info

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum