It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just finished my EP called "being"and would appreciate some feedback!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This is a wonderful album. Nice use of space and texture to give each piece it's own room to breathe.
Not my cup of tea, as you put it, but definitely something I will listen to from time to time.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hello, Just wanted to say congratulations on completing your album...I'm currently in the process of producing my own and its been a long time coming ha ha, I cant wait to get it released and feel the pride/relief you probably are. Your music is enjoyable and very unique, not something I would normally listen to as well so was fresh for me...very soothing. I like the deep vibes to it, you have some great atmospheric sounds which I kinda try to incorporate into my own stuff, nice keys/melodies on the piano too.

Great stuff, even though your completely digital your sound is somehow organic, I like that. Regards and Respect bro and keep up the good work!

Peace

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Really enjoyed this, great stuff dude

Whats your set up consist of?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
He posted what he uses on the previous page

OP, interesting stuff.. just listening now ~ I like the more ambient textural bits in general, the rest is not really to my taste, but its always interesting listening to other musician's ideas.

Good work on getting it done though.. I've been tinkering and jamming for years but am no closer to actually completing anything - not that I've been wanting to, I'm quite happy just fooling around, but still it takes alot of dedication to finish something, and then actually release it to the world and say 'this is it'. So good on ya

Unlike you I much prefer to work on physical equipment.. it can be somewhat limiting, but I find the limitation actually forces me to think outside the box (excuse the pun..) about how I will do something, rather than testing a trillion plugins until I find the 'right' one, which I have a tendancy to do when options are put in front of me.

Now for a constructive comment - This would depend alot on the style that you are going for of course, but I can totally imagine this music with a bit more real reverb, maybe some lofi processing to give it a bit of air and dirt by passing some parts into actual audio then re-recording with different equipment, or changing formats like going to tape, then back etc.. Often things made entirely within the box can lack this kind of 'breathing space' I guess.. It's difficult to describe. Anyway it depends what you're going for of course, just a thought that comes to me.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by cartesia
He posted what he uses on the previous page

OP, interesting stuff..

I know i see that, but i said what's your set up not what programs/VST's are you using

D.A.W

Monitors

Sound Card

Etc etc

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

Sure thing, I monitored through a pair of Sennheiser HDR110's which I would NOT recommend, good quality audio but the wireless signal gets cut off to white noise if no loud audio is heard for about 10 seconds, which can be a pain in the ass when working with low volumes.
Soundcard, is nothing fancy, it's an x-fi soundblaster Link
To be honest this is the most unimportant upgrade I brought for music, I run my audio through USB and Firewire now and it seems to do the job (although it would be interesting to hear the quality through the s/pdif line in and out).
The DAW that I use is Ableton Live 8, simply because it was the one I started on and it has caused me no trouble so far, and now that they've introduced a 64-bit version it makes it all the better. But with DAW's everyone has there own personal favorite, this just happens to be mine.
I think that's about it gear wise? Any other questions then please do fire away

Thanks man

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cartesia

Thanks for the comments dude!
Yea, trust me, if I could afford it I would go analog all the way. The sound and realism you get from real breathing instruments is in a whole different league. The digital/sampled instruments I use are just a platform for me to work with, to get my ideas made without having to become a millionaire just to fund the equipment for one small project. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I have managed to save up for the gear I have at the moment despite how basic it is, but yea, it isn't going to be as good as the real deal. I suppose most people spend there lives collecting expensive gear just to build there dream studio. Maybe one day I will record fully in a proper studio environment but I sense that it may be a fair few years until I can afford all that gear. I'd best get saving them pennys now then I suppose haha

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by constant_thought
reply to post by cartesia

I suppose most people spend there lives collecting expensive gear just to build there dream studio. Maybe one day I will record fully in a proper studio environment but I sense that it may be a fair few years until I can afford all that gear. I'd best get saving them pennys now then I suppose haha

I feel your pain man... I had the beginnings of a very nice little studio happening, but the past few years have been financially rather unkind to me - I've had to sell just about all of my gear, and downgrade the little that I managed to hang onto.. Hopefully next year things will turn around again

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hey that's really nice! Not my flavor, but cool all the same! What program do you use for editing? I use FL studios, its awesome!

Ok, so I just read through the thread, and you've covered that... Proof that it pays to read first, then respond!! All the same, I recommend FL studio's. Great MIDI control, tonnes of synths and drum kits... It's the most impressive piece of editing software I've ever used...

Also, who's producing you? I know a few really good producers who would probably like to take you on, good guy's who run small studio's.

Anyhoo, keep it up!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PollyPeptide

Thank's for the comments

No one is atm, it is all me just doing my thing. Any further representation would be a godsend so please do pass it on to your friends just incase they might be interested

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It's me again. I kept thinking of your music. and how I didn't get it. So I went for a visit to my guitar teacher. I really respect his opinon. He graduated from Michigan State Univ. with a bachelor's degree in music, and is a good teacher, and a friend. We listened to your music, and he thought it was good. Then he went on to explain to me what it takes to do this. With the limited amount of stuff you had to use, what a nice job you had done. I explained to him that I didn't understand this music.. He told me it ok, that I was used to listening to music that comes from 100 watt Marshall's and Strat's and Les Paul's....Hamond B3's and the like. He told me not to listen and try to figure it out. To just listen, and just let it flow over you. Relax..don't try so hard. Well, I will give it a go. I feel like I owe you a, sorry about that, for my comments. Know it was just ignorance on my part, no ill will intended. I am almost 60 years old, so it may take a little while. But I am retired and have plenty of time. I look forward to finding your groove.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by oldkawguy

Thanks for the reply. There's no need to apologise at all! That is one of the wonders I find in music. It can be so diversely different with all the different genres and ways of writing that there will always be something new to hear and understand. This is what makes music interesting for me because it is a constantly evolving thing. In 20 years time music will probably be so far removed from what we hear now that it will sound completely different, but that's what keeps it alive in a sense. I too hear things that I don't understand in music all the time so you're certainly not the only one!
I don't think there will ever be any form of music which everyone on earth will enjoy but I am glad that you approach music with a open mind and a willingness to understand. I think it is very healthy as a musician to have an openness and drive to listen to lots of different genres. I started off years ago listening to and writing heavy metal and death metal strangely enough, and I have now drifted through many different styles from jazz and blues to acoustic blue grass and more as I am sure I will continue to do so. Music plays a very large part in my life and I don't like to pigeon hole myself to one type of music. I am like a child in a candy shop really, I hear all these different ways of writing and I just want to experiment with them myself and see what happens. Music is the paintbrush and all the different sounds, instruments, styles.etc are the paints, why limit the colours you use? That's my thoughts anyway

Thank you for being open and saying your thoughts, I apprecciate your honesty
Take care oldkaw

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Keep up the good work mate...I have a lot of time for independent artists doing all of the bard work themselves, trying to build fanbases both locally, nationally (and internationally), It is hard as I know myself but it'll pay off. Seems to be coming together for me after so long, keep doing your thing bro. One Love

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hey there CT... I talked to one of my friends and gave him the link to your EP.. He likes it! Said he'd be willing to chat with you about production. I don't have a price or anything for you, he says there's too many factors involved to just spit out a quote. But it should be reasonable... He operates Prairie Dog Records here in Edmonton Alberta (probably a few thousand miles away from you!)

But if you want to check it out, he said it's cool if I pass his number along to you. So if you want, hit me with a PM and I'll hook you up with the info. It's a lead at least, right?

Anyway, keep it up! Independent artists are COOL!

And if you're interested, you could check out my music... It's electronic, and I'm not that good.. But its a hobby I enjoy!

www.soundclick.com...

Oh, if you PM me it might take a couple days for me to respond. Hope that's ok

edit on 20-12-2012 by PollyPeptide because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join