It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are all Christians blindly hypocritical?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

Atheists are biased, atheists do not believe in science, atheism is a faith, a belief, a claim of knowing something that science does not know.

Everything you quoted is just absurd because you can plug in "Rock" instead of "God" and it would still be the same, at least, Rock does exist lol.

Science does not need to look at every corner, believers brought up the theory, its up to them to prove it. Not science's job to disprove it. Can you prove i'm not god?

Atheist do not have faith in supernatural or paranormal because there is no proof for it. Reason Atheist go for science is because it is something you can work with.

Atheism is not a faith, its a LACK of belief. Just say saying because you don't believe in Unicorn makes you a Unicorn-Atheist? Can i call you that or do you believe in Unicorn?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by Razimus

Atheists are biased, atheists do not believe in science, atheism is a faith, a belief, a claim of knowing something that science does not know.

Everything you quoted is just absurd because you can plug in "Rock" instead of "God" and it would still be the same, at least, Rock does exist lol.

Science does not need to look at every corner, believers brought up the theory, its up to them to prove it. Not science's job to disprove it. Can you prove i'm not god?

Atheist do not have faith in supernatural or paranormal because there is no proof for it. Reason Atheist go for science is because it is something you can work with.

Atheism is not a faith, its a LACK of belief. Just say saying because you don't believe in Unicorn makes you a Unicorn-Atheist? Can i call you that or do you believe in Unicorn?

Yes, and you can replace God with the Ghost of Macho Man Randy Savage, the point is, you can't prove it according to science, until you scour every corner of the entire universe & every corner of every dimension. Science is the study of things seen, heard, felt, tasted, touched, it isn't the study of guessing what's out there. Atheists are closed minded, at least agnostics have eyes to see the boastful arrogant hypocrisy of atheism. The flawless logic stands tall & I stand by it.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

I'm not sure that logic is flawless. Atheists as a whole do not say "God does not exist." Even Richard Dawkins, one of the most abrasive, tactless and bitter living central characters among the secular community doesn't say "God does not exist."

Reason being, the great majority of atheists are agnostic atheists, in that they do not claim to know the non-existence of God or gods. Gnostic atheists, theists etc. claim to know the nature of these deities' existence, and that, in my opinion is problematic. Believe in God? Fine. Don't? Cool. But why bother telling anyone that you know you're right when you don't have empirical evidence of either? People on both sides are hypocrites, in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Hilarious! Gods aren't floating around in the universe waiting for agnostics to find them. Gods are in people's heads. Fictional characters in the mind. I don't know why people insist on saying atheism carries with it the "possibility" of the existence of gods? Atheism negates the existence of gods, that's why I call myself an atheist.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by trysts

atheism.about.com...

People keep insisting that because there's truth in it... to an extent. Atheism doesn't shut out or leave any "possibilities", it's just the stance of a lack of belief. You're not making any claims about existence when you say "I'm an atheist". All you're saying is "I lack a belief in a personal deity." Or just deity, depending on how far you take the definitions within irreligion.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Err... no... God wants you to fix yourself.

Hey that's great, did he happen to mention anything else ?

Yes....

Proverbs 1:7
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."

and this as well...

Proverbs 26:3-12
"A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey, and a rod for the back of fools. Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes. Whoever sends a message by the hand of a fool cuts off his own feet and drinks violence. Like a lame man's legs, which hang useless, is a proverb in the mouth of fools."

Take it how you like....

But the point of my original response to your "feel good" meme is this...

If you are waiting around for God to fix you then it will never happen. That's like waiting around for God to give you a new car, or a new job, or wealth. Unless you actually take action, it will never happen.

How do I know this? Did God tell me this? The answer is "yes".

John 5: 8-9
"Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked."

See.... action is required. Not even God can heal you unless you take action.

So... you can respond with another trite, condescending, foolish comment, or you can drop your egotistical attitude and try to learn something.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Dynamike

Are all Christians blindly hypocritical?

About 90% are.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ihavenoaccount

What kind of meaning could "possibility" have if it includes any figment of the imagination to be considered a real thing? I don't accept a possibility of gods, because they don't exist. I use critical thinking to make decisions about whether something is fictional or not, so I don't say or think that "anything is possible". That's a completely meaningless phrase to me. Maybe it's used to withhold a decision on the existence of gods for some, but I've already made a decision on the matter. I also have decided through critical thought that Jupiter-sized, pink wombats don't exist.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Dynamike

To answer the question, I say no, not all. Sure a whole lot! But not all.

I love the first sentence of your last paragraph. How we all should respect each other.

I don't understand why it should matter if you believe or not. I'm a Christian. I don't judge anyone. I love everyone, I try to be free spirited and very open minded.

I don't attend church because organized religion is not cool to me and kinda scares me.Maybe I'm a diff kinda Christian, I mean I don't understand a lot of it and yeah there's a ton of inconsistencies with the bible and what I believe. Or my interpretation of it... Yikes.

Anyways... I respect you and I hope you respect me.

Increase the peace-nat

There are countless possibilities out there. And I will not tell you that any one of them is absolutely wrong.

edit on 12-12-2012 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamike
After reading several posts about Christians judging the recent wave of Atheist movements I began to wonder if they realized how hypocritical it was to cast those judgments.

Our society today is still dominated by the effects of Christianity. The moral code insisted by Christianity still persists in politics in the form of stem cell research control and abortion control.
how about links. as far as I can tell you have made a general statement about a "Moral code" insisted on others but no clear moral code is presented. Moral codes of Christianity are very detailed. You did however narrow two points to "stem cell" and "Abortion". First, you must link and define to which of the "Moral codes" Stem cell research would fall into under Christianity. Second, right to life is not just a Christian Moral code it is also a secular Moral code. So you seem to be setting up a straw man argument.

It is still a force in the school teaching of the history of the earth and evolution. It exists in football games, movies, music, money, ceremonies, and even holidays. If that is not enough it is brought to my house by door to door preachers and plastered all over my facebook feeds.
Again please link to Christian MORAL CODE that is in force concerning world history and evolution. Both of which have been deeply renewed to eliminate all Christian references since the 1980's. From what I know Some Christians believe in a progressive evolution via creation. While others believe is straight cut 6 day work called creation.

When this permeates our culture so much by those conspiring to force their beliefs on others what are those who break free of ignorance supposed to do?
Again please show links to where Christianity permeates our American culture? From what I see in the streets today is you can't tell the good guys from the bad they all where black. I have never met a Christian who has at anytime forced his belief on me. If at anytime they have shared their belief with me it was at my invitation and no one forced it upon me. and at any moment I was and am free to walk away. Not only that please clarify that their belief is a form of ignorance. And if anyone feels they have broke free from ignorance I would like to know what factual proof proves they have indeed broken free from ignorance.

You see you have done nothing more than present personal feeling and observations in your OP that do nothing more than to support your desired end that you wish to FORCE UPON everyone else. If you are going to point out hypocrisy you better be able to do it without being a hypocrite yourself.

I dont understand why it is ok for people to post their love of Jesus or God on my facebook without fear of criticism and yet when I try to thumb up a simple logical argument presented by Epicurus (A philosopher born before Jesus) who stated, "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"- Why do I get bashed senselessly by Christians?
Again you are bashing them here and maybe even senselessly. Are the questions true questions looking for logical answers or are they presented only to set up a straw man? Look at the way the questions are presented they ask and answer. So these are not questions seeking truth but rather vstatements with comments meant not to gender strife.

How often do Atheists ridicule or bash Christians? They don't because Atheists are those of us who have enough logic and an ability to discover truths that others are not prudent enough to find. With this amount of intelligence comes such qualities and patience, kindness, understanding of others, and respect.
You are either ignorant or biased but I have seen the senseless bashing of atheist toward many people of faiths and sometime cursing and belittling them in such a way I would be ashamed to know them personally

What kind of oppression has Atheism brought upon our society? It has not. Atheism is not about oppression but about release of the mind bound by the constraints set by our forefathers who sought to enslave himself. There are laws prohibiting the physical slavery of other humans, When will there be laws prohibiting the mental slavery? It must first start with us.
What type of oppression are you speaking of? Please link to this oppression so we clearly know what you are talking about. Man is a free agent no one can enslave his mind unless he wants it enslaved. Atheist have oppressed we read about it every time they bring a court case against a Church about a nativity scene to get it removed from public. that is a form of oppression so you are either willfully ignorant or presenting a straw man. continued in next post

edit on 12-12-2012 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamike

How often do Atheists ridicule or bash Christians? They don't because Atheists are those of us who have enough logic and an ability to discover truths that others are not prudent enough to find...

How is this true exactly? The majority of "atheists" are hardly what I would consider Krishnamurti-quality free thinkers. They've all heard ideas concerning this particular viewpoint from others, and they adopted it themselves. They are, as Christians, regurgitating the same information as a community are they not? If you don't believe this to be true, just go watch any debate between a Christian theist and an Atheist.

Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher, and Christopher Hitchens have been notorious for ridiculing theist viewpoints since they were being fed bottles in their mothers' arms. Hitchens first word as a baby was "Lol".

edit on 12-12-2012 by Ewok_Boba because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

No matter if you are Christian or Atheist we need to show respect for each other. Stop trying to bind each other in your beliefs hoping to change mankind on a whole. It will never happen at once. The information that everyone seeks is out there on the web. Let everyone decide for themselves what they believe. Because who knows, maybe Atheists AND Christians are both wrong. Maybe there is no God, Christians; Maybe there is a God, Atheists. Maybe the answer is us. Maybe we are God. And as such maybe we should act how you would imagine a God should.
Your "Stop trying to bind each other in your beliefs" statement as I see it is directed at Christians but it is exactly what you are doing with your atheistic belief is it not? Mankind as a whole can never be changed if you have not come to understand that then you will be of no use to society. This is why Christians go to one on one. they know they can not change mankind as a whole. this will never happen at all and if you think it can happen again you are ignorant to mans human nature.

I agree let each on e seek and decide for themselves. I agree that all need to be civil in their discourses with one another. I know far well that I nor you are God with a capital G. We are gods but to no avail to change or create anything beyond this temporal existence we call life.

If Christians are to act as they imagine God should act then it is left to their imagination. They however learn to conform their characters to that of their God via their knowledge of Scriptures for it is the only way they can learn of God's character and apply it to their lives. Atheist on the other hand have nothing to look to except other men, TV, and society and that is not a pretty picture as much of the atheist out there is why we have the levels of crime and disorder we have. i.e. the mall gunman in Oregon or the pedophiles, or feminist or other criminal minds, look what our schools have created mob robberies, mob violence, animal pack mentalities. Or maybe like the sophist philosophers you quoted who are not seeking truth but are set upon setting up their own selves as the basis of truth we create ever changing moral standards based on our own feelings and desires?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

Yeah, I don't know what part of "I am not a dualist" you're still not understanding, but our back and forth serves no purpose. In my philosophy, good and evil are not "two halves of a whole" and never will be. Since you do see it that way, I'm sure that your argument makes perfect sense to you, but it's irrational nonsense from my perspective.

Like I told the other guy -- it's not that you're getting answers, you're just getting answers you don't like. I'm sure that's frustrating, but that's the way it is -- I'm not going to change my philosophy to suit your questions.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Just as long as you understand that just because you are central to yourself, and your philosophies are central to you, doesn't mean that they are the only right ones. Sometimes, we like things just because they make us feel better about how lost we really are. Don't feed into that confusion, or you'll never escape.

We would sooner close our eyes in the face of death than open our eyes and see that death wears our face.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I haven't had the time to read the entire thread, but you seem to be well reasoned. I might ask what you think about those who may not have your capacity of reason that has allowed you to arrive at your position? Is it good that we have many written works that assist the new souls towards becoming a better person? Even the zealots would appear too close minded to hear anything that varies from the written works, in fear of not understanding that perhaps God is not limited. That perhaps God created many books.

I've always tried to respect where anyone/everyone is in their journey. Not higher nor lower, just where they are. If there is room to communicate, then great. If there is no room, then Great.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
here is proof that Atheist oppress Christians
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Are some Christians hypocritical? Sure.

Why is Christian so predominant in our culture? This country was founded by Christians. Hence, the influence.

I'm curious to know if there was ever a country/culture anywhere in history founded by athiests? Anywhere? Even one? Not "non Christians"...athiests..ones who don't believe in any God.

And the fact that athiests are allowed to thrive and promote their beliefs is a by product of Christian tolerance which has propagated to the Christian influenced law of the land (which the OP appears to deride).

Your post wouldn't fly in Taliban country (you'd be stoned to death).
Your post/views wouldn't fly in many, many early civilizations/tribes, either.

But it flies today. Due to our tolerant and accepting culture. (I wonder where that came from?)

Is Christianity perfect? Heavens no. Is atheism perfect? I don't know, but judging from the tone of this thread it could stand to be a little more tolerant.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChesterJohn
here is proof that Atheist oppress Christians
www.foxnews.com...

Hmmm that is not being oppressive, that is more like stating an opinion about a belief without evidence. Being oppressive is when they try to say they will hurt you with hellfire.

Oh it's Fox News...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by elitelogic

But it flies today. Due to our tolerant and accepting culture. (I wonder where that came from?)

Not from the Bible or from Christians. It came from free thinkers who questioned the status quo and refused to make religious values equal to secular values.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join