It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are all Christians blindly hypocritical?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DPrice
Of course they are hypocrites. I've rarely seen as intolerant and oppressive a religion as Christianity with the exception of maybe Islam.

Nothing like a blanket statement to cover all angles.

Don't be that guy.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Another discrepancy with the OP- one cannot be blindly hypocritical. Being a hypocrite is an intentional act and the person is aware of the fact that they are a hypocrite. They may refuse to admit it but people do not act as hypocrites without being aware of it.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by Dondylion

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
For a god to hate evil and still create it, is stupid.

What makes you think that God creates evil? Most things that people consider to be evil are done by human beings, intentionally, and the rest, stuff like earthquakes, is morally ambiguous.

I was going to try my best to stay out of this thread, to just sit back and read everyone else's sides, but this needs to be replied to.

If God didn't create evil, where did it come from? Didn't God create us all, and if so, doesn't that mean he created those who are evil? Ergo, didn't he create evil? If he didn't create evil, doesn't that mean he didn't create us? If that's so, what's the point in believing in God if you don't believe he created evil. After all, he created everything, right?

How is evil a tangible "thing"?

Evil is the negative result of the actions and behaviours of people. God didn't create people to be evil, he even came round at a point or two to give some indication that it's not nice to be evil. Do you think that it's his fault that people ignore him and behave poorly?

Nice way of avoiding my questions. This is typically why I stay away from discussions such as this. I always get a round-about way of avoiding my questions, never a direct answer.

Actually, yes I do. He created us, didn't he? He gave us the option to either follow him or not. He gave us free will, after all. So, if one chooses to be evil, didn't God allow him to make that choice? Didn't God give him the free will to make that choice? Didn't he create evil by creating us all?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Dynamike

Yeah... that's it. Just wait for God to fix you while you continue to deny any accountabilty. As a Christian, I think this is the #1 problem with todays "believers". "

Just wait... "God is fixing me"
Err... no... God wants you to fix yourself.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dondylion
Nice way of avoiding my questions. This is typically why I stay away from discussions such as this. I always get a round-about way of avoiding my questions, never a direct answer.

No, I think you stay away from discussions like this because you don't like the answers, not because you don't get any -- I didn't avoid your questions, I answered them.

Didn't God give him the free will to make that choice? Didn't he create evil by creating us all?

Again, why are you making out evil to be some tangible thing that is created? Evil is simply the absence of good. Yes, by giving us free will, God gave us the ability to do things which are not good, but as he doesn't compel anyone to do bad things, how is he responsible for it?

Picture two universes -- in universe A, God gives us the ability to do things which are not good, and we go off and do evil. In universe B, God gives us the ability to do things which are not good, but we decline to do them. Thus, universe B has no evil in it, but God had nothing to do with it, so why are you blaming him for the evil in universe A?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Good and evil are moral stances, entirely dependent upon one another. What is good to one, may be evil to another; and vice versa. So, either God is behind both, and allows both, or God has no hand in either one. It's a simple premise. You're trying to beat around the bush, and it's very obvious.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Thank you to all my Atheist friends.

I know you just can't believe how stupid I am for believing in God.

Keep bashing me with your logic...Make it hurt.

To my "God Believing" friends...

Please pick me up and dust me off and give me drink.

For a group of people who believe nothing and have no agenda.

Their verbosity is second to no other group.
edit on 11-12-2012 by whyamIhere because: spelling

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Mother Jesus of ##snip## Christ. Again? Really? My mother. Why!? WHY!
I see we will never reach a stalemate.

You are all acting children! You all think that your way of seeing something is wrong or right. You all seem to conveniently forget that you can be:

Ignorant Atheist
Well-moraled Atheist
Racist Atheist
Homophobic Atheist
Evil Atheist
Good Atheist
Ignorant Religious
Well-moraled Religious
Racist Religious
Homophobic Religious
Evil Religious
Good Religious

Religious people bring up Pol Pot while Atheists bring up Hitler
Then you guys drag in politics? Grow the ##snip## up ATS. Have some damn decorum. The universe doesn't give a damn what you write under "Religious Affiliation". Stop acting like 'civilized' kids, please.
edit on 11-12-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Dec 11 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
reply to post by adjensen

Good and evil are moral stances, entirely dependent upon one another.

Correct.

What is good to one, may be evil to another; and vice versa.

Not necessarily, but generally, correct.

So, either God is behind both, and allows both, or God has no hand in either one.

Show me where I said God doesn't allow both, and as evil is simply the lack of good, not a tangible thing, it is not created, so your "God is behind both" statement is irrational.

If you have something, and I take it away from you, have I created a new object called "nothing"? No, of course not, you are just in a state of lacking the something.

It's a simple premise.

I agree, it is a simple premise, which makes it all the more mind boggling that you can't seem to understand it.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I don't think you should paint them all with the same brush.
Can you not delete your Facebook Christian friends if their posts annoy you?
I don't have Facebook to know how it works, but aren't their posts just posts they make and they can't control who's page it gets fed to? Is there a way to block some friends feeds?
Complain to Facebook about it, or better yet delete Facebook. Don't engage in responding to the posts. Let it go.

Its also fairly easy to tell the door knockers to stop knocking on your door or to just ignore them completely, they're used to that. It's not Halloween, they won't throw eggs at your house.

As much as you might loathe Christians talking about God, they might loathe you talking about atheism. It works both ways, does it not?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

but unlike what your atheists pals reject, God forbids me to kill, for you to kill and for every single person on earth to kill or harm each other.

it's the people who reject God, use God's name for evil, or don't believe in God causing all the problems on earth. not the other way around.

edit on 11-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

There are millions upon millions of rapists and murderers in the world that are christian...

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dynamike

How often do Atheists ridicule or bash Christians?

Seriously? About every couple minutes of every hour of everyday, right here on ATS. After seeing enough comments about Jesus being equated to the easter bunny or toothfairy or santa claus, i'd think i'd know. I used to be one of you saying those exact same things.
edit on 11-12-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

There are millions upon millions of rapists and murderers in the world that are christian...

Source?

Or, are you making that up to support your preconceived notions?

This is ATS where we are not allowed to make up outlandish statements like that.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

So? , it's a free speech .

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
reply to post by OpenEars123

Source?

I think you and i both know it's true. The majority of people in prison claim to be christian, do the math.

edit on 11/12/12 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/12/12 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

That guy's AWESOME! Friend of yours?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Here you go
current.com...

How good do all your 'Christian folk' look now?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by xavi1000

That guy's AWESOME! Friend of yours?

No , but he have many excellent videos, enjoy

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
what kind of oppression has atheism caused humanity?

is that a serious question.

communism for starters. stalin, pol pot, the kim jung's, ho chi minh, mae zedong, benito mussolini all responsible for well over 100 million deaths and almost causing world war 3, nuclear annihilation of the human race.

not to mention abortion, atheism's wet dream coming true.

i would make atheism a capital offence as a pre-emptive measure to ensure the survival of the human race.

but unlike what your atheists pals reject, God forbids me to kill, for you to kill and for every single person on earth to kill or harm each other.

it's the people who reject God, use God's name for evil, or don't believe in God causing all the problems on earth. not the other way around.

edit on 11-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

This is the most hateful, vile drivel I've ever read.

You are exactly the reason why organized religion has caused so many problems for this planet.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join