It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rock cut temples of Bhaje.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
As I didn't find anything on this subject here I decided to write a brief thread.

An excavation frenzy of Buddhist monks begun in around 250 BCE all across the Deccan Plateau in India. Bhaje is considered to be one of the oldest cave complexes, the origin of the new building skill. And what a beautiful place it is.

The rock cut temples around Deccan were in active use for almost a millennia. This complex has a total of 18 caves all facing west. The main temple or cave has arched and ribbed roof of teak wood girders that have survived for over 2000 years in almost perfect condition.

The area has 14 stupas of which 9 are outside and 5 inside the rock excavations.

There are lots of engravings throughout the whole facade.

The view from inside.

I will link a very good article with detailed 'analysis' of the place for those who seek more of information that I did provide here. I suggest you look at the engravings which I found very interesting. Some similarities and themes can be found elsewhere on the globe too... But that subject is maybe for later. Take a dive in the article. It was a nice journey.

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by OnWhiteMars

Wow wat a lovely build. I am amazed that the teak has lasted 2000 years....

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Here are some carvings from the temple itself. The pictures are copyrighted so I'll just provide the links.

Carvings I
Carvings II
Carvings III

Living area of the monks.

Picture I
Picture II

Intriguing carved windows.

Picture

This carving caught my attention being different from everything else. It caught the eye of the writer in the article too. I think it does reflect the image of a soldier. That kind of carvings are found anywhere else in the area. The carving has a Sumerian feel to it. I guess that is because of the armlets or bracelets. Even the 'skirt' is familiar looking.

Soldier (the second image from the top)
Sumerian art
edit on 11-12-2012 by OnWhiteMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

I am always astonished to see History still standing. I wonder how long they actually took to make this magnificent temple?

Great Story.

S&F

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I found additional info that there are in fact 22 caves instead of 18. One of the caves is quite the mystery.

Carvings in the cave number 20 are just awesome. The Archeological Survey of India has locked the Vihara in this cave. The visitors have to contend only with the carvings depicting human figures. Most of the viharas here like those in the Karle Caves are two storied. The construction vihara on the extreme end could not be completed.

Source

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I visited this place last month and took lots of pictures.

You can find some of them here on my web site

www.akshardhool.com...
and

www.akshardhool.com...
and
www.akshardhool.com...
and
www.akshardhool.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cathavale7

Is it your article I've linked? Or are the pictures just yours? Awesome coincidence!
Maybe you can give us your insight and expertise on the subject! The place looks great, good pictures and the article is broad and describing!

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Just got in and before I read the article, just wanted to make note:

a.) Awesome find! I love seeing ancient carved-into structures like this.

b.) Reminds me of Petra.. very strongly, albeit with less of a Roman influence.

S&F, more to come once I tackle all the provided links.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

edit on 11-12-2012 by cathavale7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Thanks for your comments on my article. Yes you guessed it correctly. The article as well as photographs are all mine. For last several months, I have been visiting Rock cut Buddhist temples all over Deccan in Maharashtra state, India, This article was part of that.

edit on 11-12-2012 by cathavale7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Was there a locked Vihara when you visited because that struck my eye in the other article? And if there was, what was the real reason? Is there an estimate of how long it took to excavate a cave or a complex like this?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Yes, there was a locked Vihara. I did not question to any one Why? because in the first place there was nobody around to whom I could ask and secondly I have seen such locked Viharas in other places such as Kale'n and also in world famous caves of Ajanta

Here are some links of my articles if you feel interested

About Karle'n (First part of series) www.akshardhool.com...

About Ajanta (First part of series) www.akshardhool.com...

Coming back to locked Vihara, what I did was to insert my camera lens in the grill wires and took some snaps, which shown the inside of Vihara rather well.

Thanks for your interest.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Absolutely stunning! I could read about these engineering marvels and hidden gems all day long.

If I ever win the Lottery, after I've donated a fair slice of it...this is how I am going to construct my house!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Can provide a link to the pictures of the closed Vihara? And thank you for the links to your articles, I will surely enjoy them!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Double post...
edit on 12-12-2012 by OnWhiteMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

This is the link

www.akshardhool.com...

The first picture in the write up shows the locked vihara and the second one shows the interior, which I have snapped through the grill on the door

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
OnWhiteMars
This is a absolutely fantastic place with all the gorgeous details put into it.. . Id love to be able to stay there a few days just to feast my eyes on all 22 caves and talk to the locals ...

Plus id like to also thank cathavale7 for all the simply beautiful pics on his web site..If you ever need a companion on one of your trips ld love to go
j/k peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

This excavating frenzy I mentioned is truly amazing! The vastness of the phenomenon covers large areas and there are literally hundreds of these caves/temples around. There are amazing images all over the web. Here a few links you can nourish yourself with!

Starting with Badami caves.

Masterworks at Ajanta.

Pataleshwar:

More of Pataleshwar.

I must say that I'm amazed. I had a clue about these rock cut temples, but hadn't ever studied them closer. They are truly magnificent. A month long trip comes in mind when you look at these and the desire to explore them closer starts to burn in the chest.
edit on 12-12-2012 by OnWhiteMars because: (no reason given)

top topics

join