It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Stealth camouflage - opinions?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Quantum Stealth camouflage bends the light around its wearer, its developer claims.

Quantum Stealth Camouflage Fabric

Apparently, and frankly im skeptical, a company called 'Quantum Stealth' has managed to engineer a material that actively bends light around said material, rendering the object covered 'completely invisible, even to night-vision'. Apparently the US DOD and other agencies have viewed the material in action and apparently it is SO good, they will not give you an official picture of the material in use, nor how it works - as it would be considered a security risk.

If im honest, im skeptical - but that just because i understand intimately the science needed to pull this off in the fashion they are suggesting - As the article states, it uses no power, no energy source of any kind.

That to me implies 1 of 2 things - a VERY advanced form of adaptive camouflage that somehow requires no energy input to operate (technically questionable and frankly im not convinced that would even be possible) - and, the big one - somehow they have managed to take a metamaterial from lab stage through to a working product. This would be confusing as the best in the field of metamaterials have only so far been able to achieve the cloaking effect on wavelengths of light other than visible spectrum (ive heard of microwave wavelengths being able to be cloaked).

If they have somehow managed to achieve this, IMHO, it would be a technological breakthrough and put them miles ahead of everyone else.

Thoughts?
edit on 11/12/12 by Quadraphobe because: link repair

edit on 11/12/12 by Quadraphobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
it's supposed to bend light. i would imagine they'd use some sort of prisms, fibre optics etc.

but from what i heard, it won't be able to hide your shadow.

and i don't think it'll hide your heat signature. how could it.

he said its made from inexpensive materials whatever that means.

and the claims that the u.s. military confirmed they've seen it. since when has the military ever confirmed anything, let alone cloaking device.
edit on 11-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
It will be a good way for killing other humans and take over their lands and resources.

Score

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I understand that the pictures are just an artistic rendering of how it would work, but it can't possibly work the way the pictures show. What the pictures show is a flat piece of the material projecting whatever is behind the person. That is impossible. The material would have to be completely around the person to be able to "see" what is behind and project it to the front. That being the case, I strongly doubt that it could perfectly reproduce the background because of the curvature of the material.

Unless a soldier is going to walk around in a "tin can" sort of shield, it won't be very effective as a military application. He would either have to pop up from behind the shield to fire and give away his position or have an opening in the shield big enough to put a gun barrel through which would look rather suspicious traveling across a field. If a group of soldiers were carrying something they could pop up from, they would still be quite visible to aerial surveillance.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I can't say I'm an expert in the field of quantum mechanics and its application in the field of bending light and adaptive clothing but supposing the material has been developed as suggested in the article then it would be a devastating technology.

Whatever object is cloaked still has mass though, so even if visible light or heat signatures can't be picked up the cloaked object is still going to displace air. Fine mist would still show up the cloaked object but producing fine mist on a battlefield scale is a bit of a logistical nightmare.

If this technology is real then tracking technology and short range radars will probably see a technological expansion as counter measures. Not much good to the average person like you and me though if the wrong people managed to get hold of it.

I still can't get my head around how there would be no light artefacts from the cloaking fabric as the cloaked object moved around the environment though.

If it does exist though it would be perfect for a bank jobs. Perfect for terrorists. Perfect for nefarious regimes...

Frightening.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Here is how I think it will look like.

Take a picture of the ground next to the place you want to lay down and snipe from.
Take a picture from the left, right, front, back, diagonal corners, lay down under the cover, set it to camo with the new photo's you've made and snipe.

Other wise, have camera's in the camo that take snap shots of your surroundings. Even if the camo isn't perfect, at least it will match the colours of your surroundings... Like a certain camo lizard we know about.

And if it doesn;t work that way...

Then the name says it all. Quantum Camouflage.
Perhaps it works on the quantum level, somehow existing in a wave form thus existing in all possible places until "observation" where it will take one form or another. Who knows...
Though if that is the case, then they have a really really formidable understanding of quantum mechanics. Fear them!
edit on 11-12-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
They design camo patterns. They don't appear to have anyone onboard who's got metamaterial expertise. They don't have any patents on anything but camo patterns. I think it's hype. Maybe it's damn good camo, but I'm smelling a rat. Time will tell.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Ill have to read more about it at at Hyperstealth

In the meantime, the video is at CNN

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Add the word quantum to anything & it instantly becomes a hit.

The tech is pretty scarey actually; although if it can't cloak the infrared spectrum I'm afraid it won't be of incredible use in the combat zone. However, it might work wonders for infiltration, reconnaissance & other operations.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
it's supposed to bend light. i would imagine they'd use some sort of prisms, fibre optics etc.

but from what i heard, it won't be able to hide your shadow.

and i don't think it'll hide your heat signature. how could it.

he said its made from inexpensive materials whatever that means.i

and the claims that the u.s. military confirmed they've seen it. since when has the military ever confirmed anything, let alone cloaking device.
edit on 11-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

It claims it does

Quantum Stealth is a material that renders the target completely invisible by bending light waves around the target. The material removes not only your visual, infrared (night vision) and thermal signatures but also the target’s shadow.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Spooky.

Teh Gov'ment could be in muh house right now, look'n over muh shoulder as I type this!!!

All in all, if true, this stuff looks pretty cool.
Too bad the pictures shown are just mock ups and not even the real thing.

It'd be nice to see som video of the stuff in action like the proof of concept videos that came out with that Japanese company developing an invisibility cloak solution.

Considering that this has hit the public media, I suspect it won't be long before some of the material hits the black market. Imagine the fun that could develop into.
Creepers in bathrooms looking for a peek would be the least of our worries.
We'd get invisible bank robbers, invisible joy killers, as well as anything and everything else that might get got up to where someone thinks they can't be seen.

Kinda Scary.

On the other side of this, maybe we'll finally have an advantage over Bigfoot and catch that critter on some good, serious High quality HD video.

That is, of course, if any of this is real.
I mean, the Japanese company that was developing their own invisibility solution a couple years ago was more than happy to give us demonstration videos and photos all over the internet.
Quantum Stealth?
The name alone sounds gimmicky.

edit on 11-12-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

It doesn't seem legitimate does it?
I agree, if it is a true-to-description product, performing as described - it is an amazing new capability.

It states that it has been proven to elude night-vision optics - but as many know, night-vision, as such, can be implemented in a few different ways utilising different or multiple wavelengths - it doesn't state the nature of the night-vision capability it was able to remain cloaked from.

Night Vision Wiki

The entire article is light on any details - so it's hard to ascertain anything of merit.

Metamaterials? I don't think so. Some unheard of or cleverly exploited quantum effect? Impossible to say.
Overhyped? You bet your behind

edit on 11/12/12 by Quadraphobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Yes... I do sometimes wonder if people who use the term "quantum" understand that it actually just means the minimum amount or smallest bit....

RE: Stealth Camouflage...surely the main benefit would be to move around in within an enemy controlled area without being seen?

Moving around is a very noisey, vibration and energy output laden process so most modern intruder detection systems would still detect your presence by sensing the changes you make in the environment.
Bending light is the least of your worries if you trigger an IED or anti personell mine......

If you're talking real warfare, rather than BF3 or COD, the main benefits of not being seen all seem to be at distance, using static camouflage which seem to be entirely effective using a ghille suit and local plant litter.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadraphobe

Here is the email I sent to that company that claims discovery of that quantum Camo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if information is true on your quantum stealth camo

I want to congratulate you on a great discovery

unfortunately you've been too busy working and designing
to notice that US government and US military are
the modern day Nazi monsters.

You literally helped people who killed 3000 Americans
on 9/11, become even better killers.

I understand that US government branches are good
paying customers but sometimes in life you make a buck

and lose your soul

good luck
edit on 11-12-2012 by JewAgainstZionism because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JewAgainstZionism

You actually sent that email?

How does it feel to have your name on a terrorist watch list?
I wonder if "they" are now giving extra attention to all other emails, messages, phone calls and other communications you send out from your computer and/or phone.
I suppose you didn't even try to use TOR, proxies, and several anonymous email accounts set up to auto-forward to more anonymous email accounts set to auto-forward from a public terminal?

It'll be interesting to keep track of your account to see how much longer you remain an active poster where sudden long-term inactivity could give us indication that you may be vacationing in Guantanamo, or otherwise given guest 'privileges' at other similar 'resort' facilities where the favorite and most popular sport is the old game of Please-do-tell.

Smart.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
More information can be found here :

Hyperstealth - Quantum Stealth

Interesting to note that it states they have already developed a countermeasure for it - so just how good can it really be if they can figure out quickly how to circumvent it?

Still... Interesting.......

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Curious that this has suddenly been achieved when other attempts that were successful were done on a very small scale and were tested against the things (for some reason I'm thinking of microwave radiation as one of them) that aren't in our visible spectrum. i.e; all other experiments were pretty much useless in practical applications.
edit on 12/12/12 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I remember back in 2005 watching a documentary on Animals and how they're defense mechanisms were being studied and adapted for human use. The best part was putting the Chameleon in an area with different images behind it, and having it change to match it almost TOO good at times.

Using what scientists know about how this reptile is able to almost completely blend in with it's surrounds, I can see how they can adopt the general idea, and use modern technology to achieve the same effects.

I'd say the section on the Chameleon would have been successful if these claims are true.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

Mimic Octopus!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Love me some Octopus.

Simply mind blowing creatures!

At the end of the video, 1:40 roughly...he makes a statement that is the embodiment of ATS.
edit on 12-12-2012 by MmmPie because: To Add.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join