Calls to ban Helium balloons

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsPeculiar
reply to post by signalfire

It seems like if it 'can't be synthesized' and it's 'non-renewable' that substitutes may be looked for and found when the need arises.

There aren't substitutes for elements. Sorry about the one-liner.

Though it wouldn't be cheap, I would imagine if not now, in the future, we'll have the fusion/fission technology to create it (for necessary purposes.)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Helium balloons and other trivial uses of the gas should be banned. We can't manufacture more until we figure out fusion. There's no replacement for it, it's not a complex chemical compound but rather an element. It's also one of the most important compounds there is for high tech equipment. It's use as a coolant is something that no other material in existence (or material people predict being created) can match.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Many years ago, I went to Disneyland with a friend who is quite literally a rocket scientist. His 7-year-old daughter asked him if she could have a helium balloon, and he said "No, because helium is a finite substance, needed to obtain Absolute Zero. And when the balloon flies off into the air, that helium is lost and is unrecoverable." I have laughed about that reply so many times, but it turns out he was telling her the truth.

CC

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsPeculiar

Actually, because of the close tolerances in jet engines they are very susceptible to FOD foreign object debris. I was in Naval Air and we participated all the time in FOD pickup.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

I would imagine if not now, in the future, we'll have the fusion/fission technology to create it

We do make helium in our hydrogen bombs. The trouble is, making a thimble full can blow an island the size of the Bikini-Atoll off of the map --- literally.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsPeculiar

How about those metallic balloons? The material they're made of looks like it would last forever. Maybe even resembles the Roswell crash foil.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I've heard some natural gas fields actually vent the stuff in their flares. So despite there being a "shortage", the economy still isn't there to merit certain sources to be collected. (Reading the Wikipedia article on Helium, I think the U.S. gov't threw off the market by artificial limiting and flooding of the market, and it'll take time for the economics to stabilize regarding this resource.)

The age of arbitrarily cheap and easily obtained helium might be over, but there's still plenty around still untapped. (It's a decay product, and as long as there's fissionable isotopes deep underground, we're not really going to run out of it anytime soon.)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hmm this means I'm going to mug any clowns I see on the street, steal their helium tanks and stash them away until helium becomes really rare and valuable.

Then I'll finally be rich! I knew I'd figure this out eventually.

And don't steal my idea.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
A good start would be to ban those huge blimps that the US has currently under program. The one they lofted a few months ago would certainly fill enough toy balloons for a century or two.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum