It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Motion help Thread.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
OH hello again ATS.

I wish I could make meaningful posts like the big guys around here, but limited capacity...has its limits.

I come to the entertainment section to see if there are any stop-motion animators out there who can show me the ropes, and maybe perhaps share some information on the craft for other aspiring SMAs.

What I am mainly specializing in is stop-motion with action figures ala Robot Chicken, but for the life of me, I cannot make my figs stand up without their bases (which only allows limited movement). Is there anything I can use to make them stand up without making them seem hokey?

I've tried double-sided tape to no avail.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'm no SMA...but I did just complete a course on motion graphics and animation. If you are comfortable and know your way around photoshop then you can use anything you like as long as you''re willing to remove it from each frame later. Your talking about stop motion, so it's frame by frame anyway, right? Not like 30fps video which would be a whole different animal and far outside what I've seen at this point.

It depends on what your trying to have them do but simple motion? Again, you'll be removing this in photoshop so you'll need shots of the feet and ground separate...but simple modeling clay could mold into something just large enough for stability like a snowshoe but not a bit larger than absolutely necessary either. Just my idea. Good luck with it though!

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Use styrofoam as your base for your figures. Insert thin wire into feet/legs of your figures, and stick other end of wire into your foam floor. You can use paint, fabric, really a lot of products to cover your base/floor.

Good Luck...you are taking on quite a time consuming project...Kudos to you...

Des

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Alright thanks!

I will try that and see if it works, but will it actually work good for dance posing?

I have a Loki fig and I'm making him "perform" the Snow Miser song from Year Without a Santa Claus

...What else could I do with a Frost Giant?

new topics

top topics

join