The Great Danger of Doomsday Sayers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Sick, but true.

This is what is often called a self fulfilling prophecy in which the believers cause it to happen.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Thanks for bringing that woeful tale to us. I was not aware that Camping had caused such horror.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
There is a real danger from people that spout doom. You might think that it is just fun to rake in the money from the gullible, but the gullible can be drawn into great. That fear can end up in death and injury.

There has been at least one substantiated case in which a person killed themselves due to 2012 fears.

In October a group of doomsdayers listened to their so-called spiritual leader that had the idea an angel told him when the world would end. The group prepared to kill themselves, but the police broke up the threat.
www.clevelandleader.com...

On Thursday evening, 50 military policemen forced their way into the home and removed 19 babies and children after they received "credible" information that the group had planned to kill themselves by drinking poison. Police say that during the operation, a "significant quantity" of rat poison was found at the residence.

Remember that the quote was a newspaper article dated October 12.

Those people probably feel pretty good today. It has been 2 months since that end of the world date failed.

Will others fall for the claims of the con men that say the world is coming to an end, or will people begin to realize that these charlatans are preying on people?

Yep, suicides linked to Dec. 21st surely will occur. Just goes to show that humanities' gullible tendencies haven't advanced too far since the hubub caused by Orson Wells broadcast of The War of the Worlds in 1938, although there were no suicides confirmed, just some instances of mass panic.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

You know this whole argument falls apart when you apply analogies to it right? This same # goes on in so many different aspects it is unreal. The fact that you choose this specific analogy makes me wonder at your logic or why you don't attempt to argue the other aspects of this conundrum.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Two different kettles of fish. A scammer specifically tells people to send him/her their money and promises some kind of reward. A doomsayer doesn't specifically tell people to commit suicide. I've read these people's websites and books out of curiosity. Not once have I ever seen or heard one say "When the end nears it will be horrific and traumatic, so you best put that .357 in your mouth and feed yourself a round to avoid the suffering."

Does a scammer have to be so obvious? If you tell people the world will end, then you have to realize that some people are afraid, just terrified of suffering. These are people that think it best to end things peacefully, quickly, and do it while there is still a chance to do it.

When people commit suicide it's their own choice, plain and simple. And even if they were telling people to kill themselves, they still shouldn't be held responsible. The individual made the decision to go through with it. Nobody else made that decision for them.

It is not always consider a choice. It could be consider the lesser or many evils. There are people open to suggestion that can believe nonsense. There are lots of people at ATS that are open to this sort of thing. I see it everywhere here. They can be convinced that horror upon horror will be showered down upon them. What if some of these people decide to take action before that happens.

You seem to be speaking from your own personal beliefs. I am like you. I would not do that. You can find news stories all of the time where people kill their kids and themselves to save them from: their spouses, financial ruin, embarrassment, end of the world stories, etc. We're not talking about people like you and I, but about those that can be convinced to die when the threat is nothing more than a lie.

Holding other people responsible for your conscious decisions doesn't hold up in the court of law, and it shouldn't here either.

Incorrect. People have gone to prison for what they have posted online. A suicide was determined to be caused by online postings and the posters were jailed. Several cases - look them up.

"Mr. Jenkins, the convenience store security camera clearly shows that you were the one who robbed the owner at gunpoint last Thursday. How do you plead?"
"But, but, your honor... my friend is the one who told me to do it. He should be punished instead! I wasn't originally going to do it, but he talked me into it. I was pressured into doing it!"

It's called conspiracy and conspirators go to jail.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

If you commit suicide that's nobody's fault but your own. Why not just wait for the world to end if that's what you believe. Stop trying to make people feel guilty for things that aren't there fault. That's is like me telling japan last year that an earthquake was coming. Should they commit suicide over it? Is it my fault if they do? Simply; no.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
This thread is exaggerating the threat of people who are concerned with legitimate Earth changes and want to discuss the possibilities.

Drunk drivers who think that nothing bad is going to happen kill more people.
Bullies cause more suicides.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

You know this whole argument falls apart when you apply analogies to it right? This same # goes on in so many different aspects it is unreal. The fact that you choose this specific analogy makes me wonder at your logic or why you don't attempt to argue the other aspects of this conundrum.

Sorry, I do not understand your position. Would you care to expand on your statement with specific comments?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

If you commit suicide that's nobody's fault but your own. Why not just wait for the world to end if that's what you believe. Stop trying to make people feel guilty for things that aren't there fault. That's is like me telling japan last year that an earthquake was coming. Should they commit suicide over it? Is it my fault if they do? Simply; no.

I don't think the legal system often sees it that way. People get sued all of the time for making financial, health, and life decisions. Even ministers have insurance in case they are sued for giving advice. The law allows these suits to proceed.

People have gone to jail when people commit suicide. The law does not agree with your position.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

No one including myself has made any claims that the number of deaths would be large.

Should we allow some medicines to less safe than others because fewer people take them?
Should we allow people to get away with dangerous activities because few will die?

It's not a matter of how many people die, but that people do die due to the actions of frauds and charlatans spouting stories of death and destruction.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

Can you just give it a rest about why debunkers feel the need to post on ATS? I mean, seriously, how many threads do you bring up this observation?!

We have agendas, so what? Your agenda is to scare people and make them go over to Zeta Talk so that their Paypal accounts can be roofied and raped by Herr Fuhrer Nancy. Some of us actually want to mitigate this kind of dangerous fear mongering.

Yes, I'm magnanimous and better than you. Accept it.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

It's freedom of speech to discuss Earth changes and catastrophic scenarios.
Why are you focusing on the negative aspect of this?
Regarding those who are considering possible Earth changes that we have the freedom to discuss, do you think that there are more self-destructive people or more vigilant people?
I believe that for every two people who are scared of what may happen, there are 8 people who are using these discussions to prepare themselves and their families.
Frankly, your decision to focus on negativity is no better than those you're criticizing and calling doomsayers.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

It's freedom of speech to discuss Earth changes and catastrophic scenarios.
Why are you focusing on the negative aspect of this?

This isn't about earth changes or whatever other euphemism you care to use. This is about people making up fake stories that billions will die. Here are some of those asinine stories:
1. A fake planet called Nibiru will do it
2. Animal die offs are a taste of things to come
3. Comet Elenin will hit the Earth
4. A 10+ quake will kill people everywhere
5. Tsunamis a mile high will wipe people out
6. A solar flare and CME will be a 1-2 knockout
7. TPTB erected the Georgia stones to tell us they plan to wipe out almost everyone

Not what I'd call Earth changes.

Regarding those who are considering possible Earth changes that we have the freedom to discuss, do you think that there are more self-destructive people or more vigilant people?

You don't have the right to shout fire in a crowded theater. You do not have the right to incite panic.

I believe that for every two people who are scared of what may happen, there are 8 people who are using these discussions to prepare themselves and their families.

A guess and way off the mark.

Is there a need to prepare? No, because the stories are lies - all lies.

Frankly, your decision to focus on negativity is no better than those you're criticizing and calling doomsayers.

Do you have a guilty conscience? Do you feel bad about inciting panic?

I am simply pointing out people do get hurt from the actions of doomsayers. I am also pointing out that the law does not consider the actions of those that incite panic, riot, trouble, and yes even suicides as being absolved of blame.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Good Thread.

Just remember what a Radio show did, at one time........

Hand cites studies by unnamed historians, who "calculate[d] that some 6 million heard the CBS broadcast; 1.7 million believed it to be true, and 1.2 million were 'genuinely frightened'". NBC's audience, by contrast, was an estimated 30 million.

The War of the Worlds (radio drama)

Pure,mass paranoia......

edit on 11-12-2012 by sonnny1 because: looks like someone beat me to the punch =)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I mean let's forget about all the corporations that make BILLIONS in profits while at the same time killing indiscriminately. Governments hire soldiers to go to war with them in the name that they MIGHT be okay. There is a lot of scenarios point blank that people we trust are responsible for millions of deaths. Don't gripe about 2012 and then condone that crap.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

It's a different thing to posit the world ending and people taking that information into their own hands; and blankly telling someone to committ suicide.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

So you are telling people what to think and post?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join