The Great Danger of Doomsday Sayers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
There is a real danger from people that spout doom. You might think that it is just fun to rake in the money from the gullible, but the gullible can be drawn into great. That fear can end up in death and injury.

There has been at least one substantiated case in which a person killed themselves due to 2012 fears.

In October a group of doomsdayers listened to their so-called spiritual leader that had the idea an angel told him when the world would end. The group prepared to kill themselves, but the police broke up the threat.
www.clevelandleader.com...

On Thursday evening, 50 military policemen forced their way into the home and removed 19 babies and children after they received "credible" information that the group had planned to kill themselves by drinking poison. Police say that during the operation, a "significant quantity" of rat poison was found at the residence.

Remember that the quote was a newspaper article dated October 12.

Those people probably feel pretty good today. It has been 2 months since that end of the world date failed.

Will others fall for the claims of the con men that say the world is coming to an end, or will people begin to realize that these charlatans are preying on people?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This is a method of natural selection. Why interfere with Mother Nature?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This sounds like a good way to get rid of gullible people.

It kinda reminds me of the 10.8 earthquake we're going to have on December 12th...
edit on 10-12-2012 by FinalCountdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

What if Bernie Madoff had run a doomsday cult? He ruined people financially. He's not the only one.

Do you think it is okay to allow people to talk others into death?

I'm also curious as to whether being gullible is an inherited trait. Is it inherited or learned? I have no idea.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

As I wrote, natural selection. We have interfered with it too often, which is why the planet is now overpopulated.

If there is a better way to clean up the gene pool, I'm all ears.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

I wonder if natural selection can ever get back into the mix.

I agree that dealing with disease has allowed us to have burgeoning populations.

The loss of the number of people that will react in a self lethal manner is unlikely to reduce the population of the Earth. Even world wars only slowed the population growth. I hardly see this as a means of slowing population growth.

I don't think we should allow people to convince others to harm themselves. Consider this group in Brazil. I'm sure they are all embarrassed and happy to be past that dreadful date when they nearly died. Most probably can't believe how they fell for the lies of this so-called spiritual leader. Most are probably relieved to be with their families. I can't say everyone feels that way. There might be a few that believe that they should have died or that the day is nigh.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I'm seriously questioning some of the ethics around here.. seriously? Come on.. we are all human and at one time I don't care who you are... you have been lied to.. and you bought it hook, line and sinker.. on some level you have believed an untruth.. it may not have destroyed your world.. but something like this will have significant effects.. Kudos to you stereo for bringing it to more peoples attention.. We need to help those who will be in utter turmoil come the beginning of the year.. has no one read the threads in this forum that are thick with this stuff?? We need to be better people than that... Is it going to make you feel oh so good to say I told you so and then have someone who is already questioning their faith and judgement take a bullet because of your unkindness.. I say we are better than that.

Please people think before you type. Your words are mightier than any sword or nuclear bomb.

edit on 10-12-2012 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

I agree that care must be taken.

When 2012 passes with nothing to show for it the issue for me has always been getting people to sit back and learn from the experience. The learning can in part be recognizing that something is an obvious hoax. This can be applied to the next doomsday claim or accepting a job or buying a product or any of a number of things.

When people tell you that you should kill yourself because the world is going to end, well it is time to get a second opinion.

When someone tells you to accept a job before you know all of the facts it is time to say no. Tell me more.

There are very dangerous people out there that want your money. They want even your life. They can wrap themselves up is all sorts of lovey-dovey talk, but when they discuss death and destruction they should be treated as dangerous and kept at a distance.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

I just don't get it. If someone is spouting doom at me on an upcoming date, even if I wanted to be among the doomed, sheer curiosity would compel me to stay alive until that date just to see what and how this doom will come about. If something that big is on the way, it would be worth watching, observing and seeing how it unfolds, yes?

Or is it fear, fear of the unknown that is knocking some people off balance? As I said, I just don't get it.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Hold the phone! At least ONE person has killed themselves over 2012 theories? Good lord. I wish I didn't read this. Now I'll never get to sleep tonight

Seriously, I don't like those fraudsters at all, but I don't think they should be blamed for suicides. If people are stupid enough to kill themselves over doomsday theories, well, who cares? Let them. Same thing with those Australian DJs who are being blamed for a suicide, it's not their fault. The person who commits suicide makes that choice, nobody else.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
But, with all the doom approaching, how can we not talk about it..
with just a few days to go,,I am eagerly waiting to watch the news of more doom
and people that cash in 401 K's, life savings, and bunker investments

If the death toll didnt rise with Harold Campings false news,.. I doubt this will do much

Besides,. How many people have died in Syria in the last year cause of a stupid war? much more than one

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I think some good points have been brought up.

One is that the number that will die will be limited. I agree with that. I think the number of believers in 2012 is extremely low. Most people know about the 2012 claims about as well as they know about the Moon. It's there.

Do the doomsayers have responsibility here? I say yes.

The DJs in Australia did not suggest doom or gloom or anything like that. They were not suggesting that anyone or anything was in trouble.

As far as Camping goes. He did not claim destruction of the Earth did he?

There are people that have suggested that people will die. People have suggested the end of the world. Some people cannot face that. Some people want to see what happens. Other people do not and greatly fear that. They want a gentle death instead of the possibility of an agonizing death so they take control of the situation.

For those suggesting that the doomsayers should not be responsible let me ask you what you would think if these people told you to invest money with them and that you would earn a fortune and be set for life. So you sent them most of your money and now you find yourself destitute. Do you think that person should be punished when it was found out that they did not invest your money, but spent it on themselves?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
From a different angle:

For those who kill themselves the 2012 prophecy was true. They were right after all.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I actually love and appreciate stereo's post even when I don't agree, it makes me think and look up and research my own information. I say we need posters like stereo around for this very reason. It's called balance and fair thought. If your allowed to post your theories everyone else should be able to post their thoughts and responses.. without the stereo's on the board more people wouldn't look any further for the truth..

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

There were a number of deaths associated with Camping's prediction. For example one woman slit her children's throats with a box cutter and then turned it on herself. Now Camping's prophecy was universally mocked. So if that produced deaths what's going to happen with December 21 which actually has a number of media outlets pushing it on the people and which has thousands, if not millions of people that believe in it?

I also think my example brings up a matter that must be discussed. Apparently it's easy for people to say there's no loss in the gullible killing themselves. What about the children though? We've already had Lieder tell people to kill their pets and people did it. What if this time around she tells people to kill their kids? I think it's clear that she would have to accept responsibility for such a tragedy. These people wouldn't have killed their children if not at Lieder's behest.

Think of it this way. Charles Manson currently sits behind bars not for killing anyone but for getting others to kill people. He was able to do this through spreading fear. How is what Lieder or any other 2012 fear mongerer doing any different from what Manson did?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
For those suggesting that the doomsayers should not be responsible let me ask you what you would think if these people told you to invest money with them and that you would earn a fortune and be set for life. So you sent them most of your money and now you find yourself destitute. Do you think that person should be punished when it was found out that they did not invest your money, but spent it on themselves?

Two different kettles of fish. A scammer specifically tells people to send him/her their money and promises some kind of reward. A doomsayer doesn't specifically tell people to commit suicide. I've read these people's websites and books out of curiosity. Not once have I ever seen or heard one say "When the end nears it will be horrific and traumatic, so you best put that .357 in your mouth and feed yourself a round to avoid the suffering."

When people commit suicide it's their own choice, plain and simple. And even if they were telling people to kill themselves, they still shouldn't be held responsible. The individual made the decision to go through with it. Nobody else made that decision for them.

Holding other people responsible for your conscious decisions doesn't hold up in the court of law, and it shouldn't here either.

"Mr. Jenkins, the convenience store security camera clearly shows that you were the one who robbed the owner at gunpoint last Thursday. How do you plead?"
"But, but, your honor... my friend is the one who told me to do it. He should be punished instead! I wasn't originally going to do it, but he talked me into it. I was pressured into doing it!"

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I appreciate what your saying even though it's completely off topic i'll respond by saying to each person their time is their own. You made the time to try to mathematically consider how much time someone else was spending on conversing on a message board. So how many minutes of your time did you just waste on that and is it wasteful? It wasn't to you, but to others it may be. Who am I to say who should do what with the time they are given? Live today, love each other because in the end thats all we're given at any particular moment..

blessings

edit on 11-12-2012 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

I appreciate what your saying even though it's completely off topic i'll respond by saying to each person their time is their own. You made the time to try to mathematically consider how much time someone else was spending on conversing on a message board. So how many minutes of your time did you just waste on that and is it wasteful? It wasn't to you, but to others it may be. Who am I to say who should do what with the time they are given? Live today, love each other because in the end thats all we're given at any particular moment..

blessings

edit on 11-12-2012 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

Truly beautiful sentiments, and I agree that is all that matters.

However, I think my post is relevant to the OP, we have a poster who continually attempts to debunk conspiracies on a conspiracy site - who in fact is saying we should not be talking about them.

I don't appreciate people telling me what to think and what to say, especially when it is in the entirely appropriate forum to say such things, and I think the motivations of those who would like to control our thoughts and opinions should be examined.

Peace and love to ALL in these interesting time.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join