It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 Miles of Mississippi River Could Shut Down

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

That is what happens when people mess with nature and try to rule over it. We screw up more stuff than we fix. They should have left stuff alone and I fear they will only do more damage with this than good.

Raist

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

Yeah I love going down to the river in different areas and seeing what I can find. I have found some really nice fossils at the river. I have serveral pieces of pet wood that washes down the river.

There is a sand bar just up from Thebes a few miles that I have watched grow over the year. I would love to get to it and check for some stuff on it. I am sure there are bits of pet wood and Pleistocene fossils to be found on it.

Raist

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
This thread gives an update and a firsthand photo account of how low the water is in a small part of the 180 miles that threatens to shut down the river.

There is a total of 82 photos linked on the thread.

The removal of rock has started at Thebes. They are digging rock up from in the river in multiple places.

Raist

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
MY god, does this mean there won't be another season of hillbilly handfishing on the telly?????

Rivers dry up, it's happened countless times over the eons. I understand the impact this will have on both US Agriculture and transportation, but perhaps it's time we start looking at new options.

Sure they dry up.... But not in 10 years. Lake mead is down 100+' by 2020 there won't be enough water volume to make power at the dam. We take too much water and put nothing back it all goes to the ocean as waste and turned into salt water.

We have been losing water levels all over the US and for years now.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
this

confirms what I thought was happening since 2009.. we've BEEN in a drought.. and I pretty sure why they've been manipulating the weather.. IMO.. contray to weather data, which I believe can be skewed because.. well.. it's data ..

that's just my 2c worth ..

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It is a problem on an international scale that really deserves more attention. Not sure if its just natural or man made but I like to think it is both working together. The water levels in the Mississippi don't look to get much better as spring gets closer, and the great lakes are heading down at a record clip.

“The worst is Michigan and Huron, which is about 2½ feet below the normal average,” said Paul Yu, chief of water management for the Army Corps of Engineers in Buffalo.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddog5595

In the past two days the river has risen by nearly two feet at the low point of Thebes. at this point it sits at 5.89 feet where two days ago it was at 3.82 feet. Thebes is the area of the river that was looking to close the river. To date this part of the river has not closed it within the time frame of this thread.

I can at least say I was right about that. It did get lower though from my first post in this thread but it has risen and lowed and risen again durring that time. I have seen a bi-yearly increase and drop in the river. 2013 is the next year for a rise as long as the pattern continues. Last year was record lows and drought, 2011 was record flood levels. I am not sure if it is in this thread or in mine (the one in my sig) but I link (maybe in both) a wiki page showing flooding on the Mississippi river. While ever other year might not show as flooding I can say that the waters get above normal level.

By the end of spring early summer the waters will be at normal or just above normal in my opinion.

Raist

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This helps.....

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
We are sitting at 11.4 feet at Thebes right now. With all the rain the river is taking a turn for the better. I expect it to drop but I hope it stays near the level it is now and not drop to much.

Raist

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join