It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 Miles of Mississippi River Could Shut Down

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

200 Miles of Mississippi River Could Shut Down

w ww.aol.com

Business and politicians are very concerned about the falling water levels on the Mississippi River and the impact it could have on surrounding states. HLN reports the river could get too low for barges to get through as early as next year. USA Today reports the portion of the river that could get shut down spans 200 miles. The Christian Science Monitor says the first official estimate of drought damages from the U.S. Department of Agriculture range from $60 billion to $100 billion
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.wbrz.com
Mississippi River Closed Due to Drought

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This is now at an unprecedented length of time that we have been experiencing drought. If we do not get the levels of rain up soon the river will be shut down until the rain comes. It seems that their is no end in sight and this drought is going no where. Yes their has been rain but the rainfall averages are down and the heat records have been steadily rising. Once the end of the month comes around and no rain has come around then you can count on a large portion of the manpower and resources gained from the river will be lost for some time.

w ww.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-12-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

2nd line of this great song. Bodes ill for all except country boys, I suppose.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Couple this with the sinkhole and drop in the great lakes; Edgar Cayce might be right.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick

This is now at an unprecedented length of time that we have been experiencing drought. If we do not get the levels of rain up soon the river will be shut down until the rain comes.....

Umm, I hope you're not suggesting weather engineering. That would be a terrible idea.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by unphased

I don't claim to know the cause only the effect and in the end that is the basis for most of our so called truths.
If someone has been jacking with our climate in a negative manner for negative outcome then their days are numbered. If however we are going through an unprecedented manner of universal changes then our days are numbered . If there is nothing to see here and we should all move along then we have a case of classic crazy conspiracy theorist spouting more b.s...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
MY god, does this mean there won't be another season of hillbilly handfishing on the telly?????

Rivers dry up, it's happened countless times over the eons. I understand the impact this will have on both US Agriculture and transportation, but perhaps it's time we start looking at new options.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

That's on the red river.
This is not easily fixed and any alternative to rainfall would be most likely unnatural and somewhat temporary.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Water shortages and droughts are the doomiest doom there is.

Maybe I feel that way because it hasn't rained here in almost 2 months
with some forecast tomorrow in the area if it doesn't pass us by here.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
They could drain Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, that would be a temporary fix. They would keep the river up for a couple of years before going dry. I know there are some people thinking of this foolish concept, it's a good thing that we have safeguards to stop something like this from happening. The water in the Great Lakes is a reserve of drinking water in case it's needed, overusing it to water lawns and drain into the Ocean is crazy. In twenty years we will experience a severe water shortage everywhere in the USA. They can then filter it and package it in bottles to distribute as drinking water to everyone. That is if we don't keep poisoning the water.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Water shortages and droughts are the doomiest doom there is.

Maybe I feel that way because it hasn't rained here in almost 2 months
with some forecast tomorrow in the area if it doesn't pass us by here.

Meanwhile, where I live, it rains every second day sometimes for a week straight.

After some time passes, you forget what it feels like to see or feel the sunlight. It's always cloudy.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
There are big breweries in Milwaukee, La Crosse and St. Louis. We have to get people to line up along the river and pass out the beers.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Soon you will be able to walk across.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
reply to post by unphased

I don't claim to know the cause only the effect and in the end that is the basis for most of our so called truths.
If someone has been jacking with our climate in a negative manner for negative outcome then their days are numbered. If however we are going through an unprecedented manner of universal changes then our days are numbered . If there is nothing to see here and we should all move along then we have a case of classic crazy conspiracy theorist spouting more b.s...

I apologize - I meant I hope you weren't suggesting "creating" rain. I do believe we or 'they' play a part in all this ridiculous weather.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

I hope you agree with me that it is far more stupid to remain in the dark about something you don't understand-- simply out of fear of looking stupid-- than to end your ignorance by asking a few questions. In any case here are my questions:

With the Polar ice melting at and alarming rate, there must be ample water to evaporate; and due to unseasonably warm weather, evaporation must be happening like gang busters... so where is the missing rain? Oh I know it's dry as a bone in some places and flooding others, but still. Shouldn't the world over be getting lots and lots more rain, in general? Yet, the Mississippi is suffering... AND...

Another thing I don't understand is this: Some time this past year, the Missouri River, which feeds into the Mississippi, was OVER-flowing, to the point where it posed a danger to those downstream. How can all of this change so quickly?

How can a river like the Mississippi continue to get lower and lower, despite all of the above?

This is the very type of thing that makes my Conspiracy Sensors start screaming at my rational mind, that governments of the world are playing "Weather Wars" like a game of Black Jack... As in: "I'll see your Earthquake & Flooding, and raise you a Dust Bowl and a Hurricane."
edit on 12/10/2012 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

where is the missing rain?

I really wish i knew the answer.
Short answer is that the rain fall is going in all the wrong places.
You raise very valid and important points in which i believe the real answers will come after severe events take place.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
Another thing I don't understand is this: Some time this past year, the Missouri River, which feeds into the Mississippi, was OVER-flowing, to the point where it posed a danger to those downstream. How can all of this change so quickly?
Some of your other questions, climate scientists and meteorologists probably don't have all the answers, because the real world is more complex than our most complex climate models.

But that one is pretty easy...most flooding is temporary and rivers drain. So when the flooding is over and there's no more new water supplying the river, it will empty what it can. I don't see why it would take too long...just throw a leaf into a river and watch how fast it moves...that gives you an idea of the current and how fast the water is moving (and therefore draining).

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
So the river traffic will stop.
Don't we have planes,trains and tractor-trailers?
I'm sure it will be another hit to our economy,but it seems that where one avenue "dries"up,sorry for the pun, another opens.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This will make a lot of people unhappy who enjoy the river for fishing and water craft, i really hope they find a way where they dont have to shut it down.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jakeistheone

Don't we have planes,trains and tractor-trailers?

Something tells me that would be a short term answer that would result in further degradation of our environment. but hey what the heck whatever is clever.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join