Russian SU-34 fleet suffers serious defects

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Each of the 16 SU-34s that are operational in the Russian Air Force is suffering from their own unique operational problems, due to manufacturing defects. The entire fleet is severely restricted in their operational use until the problems are resolved. The most serious problems are reported to be radar and navigation, a combination of software and hardware problems. The list goes on to include poorly soldered wiring as well.

FlightGlobal source
Izvestia Source (Russian)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

And America is responsible how?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chargeit

Oh, I'm sure we had someone in there messing up the solder deliberately or something.
We'll be blamed somehow for it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Chinese engineering strikes again!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
From what I read in the Google Translation of the original article, all the circuit boards are created by hand, and they're being made in different ways. Sometimes parts are on one side of the board, sometimes the other, and the soldering is barely enough for them to work. Sukhoi is trying to blame it on the pilots and maintenance personnel, saying that it's "growing pains" for the new type. Each is apparently built completely by hand it seems, as they have been flying for 6 years, and they only have 16 of the type in service.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
But it's such a pretty bird.
Sukhoi knows how to do style but I guess quality control ain't so hot.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Several years ago, I talked to a Russian Air Force pilot, who flew transports. He said that when they flew the AN-24 Condor, they sat on the end of the runway, with the brakes set for two minutes, with all four engines at full power. If at the end of two minutes, all four engines were still running, they released the brakes, and took off. They were really looking forward to getting their hands on some Pratt&Whitney engines.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Hillary Clinton strikes again!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'm wondering what's going wrong with the various nations' 5th generation fighters? The 4th generation fighters seem much more sturdy and solidly built. I guess the best engineers are retired?
edit on 10-12-2012 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

The SU-34 is more a 4.5 or 4.75 than a true 5th generation. The T-50 PAK-FA is their first true 5th generation fighter. There are only a handful of true 5th gen fighters in the air right now, and the only operational one to date is the F-22

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
teethinf problems are common in aerospace engineering, i would have expected there were some roubles....but the basic wirin being faulty is not one id have anticipated in such a highly vaunted airplane....Software and hardware have o get tuned in to each other, but the wirin needs to be perfect first time out.....
maybe the Ruskies have lost that old cold war impetus now that the mafia is in control there too......

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Two minutes at full power gave them some level of comfort?
That's sad and scary.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Wow, that's pretty shocking. Hand making parts for a war machine? That's not very Russian. What about parts interchangeability and mass production? What if these war planes are involved in, you know, an actual war? What of field repairs? This stinks of cut corners and corruption.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Orwells Ghost

I was shocked as well when I read that. They don't have the best quality control, but they usually at least produce better wiring, and better parts for the main portions of the plane.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I recall reading about the Pentagon dissecting a Mig they'd acquired via a Soviet Pilot's defection. I thing it was a Foxbat but I could be wrong, I don't recall all of the details. On the exterior they found sloppy hand welds and rivets that weren't even flush, but only on those areas of the plane that weren't aerodynamically critical; everywhere else the workmanship was the equal of any western plane. The electronics, while vacuum tube based, were ultra rugged and made for very easy maintenance in the field. It sounds like with the Su-34 they just took the worst aspects of that design philosophy and kept none of the benefits.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Orwells Ghost because: Spelling & Grammar

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I think its a symptom of the same problems that have plagued the space program lately and their latest generation ICBMs. This aircraft and those other programs were born in the 1990s when Russia was broke and the industry just about totally collapsed.

They lost a whole generation of aerospace industry engineers, either poached abroad or into other fields.

They are finding out that when you stop funding a capability it goes away very quickly and its not easy to get it back when you turn the money back on. Something to ponder in these financially constrained times.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

An astute observation. Apparently NASA is experiencing similar troubles with their new Orion rocket. All of the engineers and scientists from the Apollo era are long gone, and supposedly they are having to redevelop forty-plus year old technology form scratch. I read somewhere that they had lost the formula for the material that comprised the heat shield on the Apollo capsule and were unable to create a suitable work-alike. It was only when they tracked down a retired geriatric metallurgist who had worked on the program that they were able to get what they needed. The loss of human capital is extremely difficult to recover from.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Orwells Ghost because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

join