Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Why is the discussion about "gay marriage" so narrowly focused on ONLY the Christian church?

page: 4
23
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I find it very concerning that most people on ATS here replied to this thread as if the strawman was the actual issue.
This isn't a fight between gay people and church, its gay rights and state.
Church can marry or not, who cares..this isn't about them, this is about the legal status of gay people getting married (be it through a church, a city hall official, a captain on a ship, etc). Not how they can get married, but just so the state recognise it.

I guess the question should be "why do the muslims not complain as much as the christian sects on the state recognizing legal marriage?"

Folks...learn the issues please...sure, you may think you have a good philosophical point, but your only feeding into a false pretense and giving ignorance a stronger stance. What the hell people...read the freakin motto of this website already!




posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I find it very concerning that most people on ATS here replied to this thread as if the strawman was the actual issue.
This isn't a fight between gay people and church, its gay rights and state.
Church can marry or not, who cares..this isn't about them, this is about the legal status of gay people getting married (be it through a church, a city hall official, a captain on a ship, etc). Not how they can get married, but just so the state recognise it.

I guess the question should be "why do the muslims not complain as much as the christian sects on the state recognizing legal marriage?"

Folks...learn the issues please...sure, you may think you have a good philosophical point, but your only feeding into a false pretense and giving ignorance a stronger stance. What the hell people...read the freakin motto of this website already!


Yes but the people in the government use their religious beliefs to stand in the way of gay rights. It goes hand in hand. They won't allow the government to recognize it because they feel like their religion doesn't recognize it.

They also worry that they will lose votes from their supporters who also feel like it goes against their religion. there is nothing dividing the two.
edit on 11-12-2012 by mahatche because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahatche
Yes but the people in the government use their religious beliefs to stand in the way of gay rights. It goes hand in hand. They won't allow the government to recognize it because they feel like their religion doesn't recognize it.

They can do that
Hense why it goes to court and pretty much always gets passed (equality). because it is not a religious debate, it is a simple legal rights issue.

Politicians cannot impose structures that target one sect of people based off of race, gender, orientation, etc...

normally...
Judges do occasionally go nuts and become activists verses doing their job...they are typically replaced shortly thereafter.



posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by mahatche
Yes but the people in the government use their religious beliefs to stand in the way of gay rights. It goes hand in hand. They won't allow the government to recognize it because they feel like their religion doesn't recognize it.

They can do that
Hense why it goes to court and pretty much always gets passed (equality). because it is not a religious debate, it is a simple legal rights issue.

Politicians cannot impose structures that target one sect of people based off of race, gender, orientation, etc...

normally...
Judges do occasionally go nuts and become activists verses doing their job...they are typically replaced shortly thereafter.



it SHOULD only be a legal rights issue, but the opponents always inject their religious views as the reason why it shouldn't happen. This is why gays and supporters of gays always have to take on the religion issue. I'd love if every debate stayed 100% focused on legal rights, because that's easier to win, but that's not reality. Reality is we have to convince people that they can't impose their religious views on others all the time.

The question asked in this thread is why is the focus on Christianity, and he goes on to ask why it doesn't focus on mosques as much. The answer is america is a christian majority, and Christians are the loudest opposition in america.

I challenge you to find me one single discussion of gay rights on this forum or anywhere where the bible isn't instantly cited from opposition.



posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson
 


You make a very valid point, interesting, I think it's because Christians are an easy target, they often turn the other cheek, also, the media fears Islam, Muslims confront, as with Christians too, sometimes violently. I am firmly convinced the media hates Christianity though, they enjoy sewing division among them, gay marriage is an excuse to demoralize the church and lessen its' influence, so they promote gay marriage to further divide and further destroy the Christian faith, the media and politicians would rather humanity put their faith in government, yet humanity is flawed,; thus, their laws are too, gays want to marry, yet God forbids sodomy; however, the government wants to allow gay marriage, so the government denies God so as to allow for it, again, it's a plus for the government, for it allows humanity to put their faith in government rather than God or a church.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson
First of all, I'm not religious. I'm agnostic. So, please spare me the accusations of being a butt hurt Christian.

All I want to know is why the discussion of gay marriage is so narrowly focused on one church, the Christian church? You never hear anyone complaining the mosques in America dont marry gays. You never see stories in the MSM about how hateful and bigoted Muslim are for not allowing gays to be married. All I ever hear or see is a complaint the Christian church wont allow gay marriage.

Why hasn't the gay movement focused on getting all the same government benefits of marriage through civil unions? Why the fight to re-define what the Christian institution of marriage? It seems to me they would have a much easier time doing that?

Is this all about discrediting and demonizing Christianity?


Because Muslims in America are not attempting to subvert the US Constitution and destroy the long, proud, tradition of secular humanism which has made us great.

Nobody cares what they do overseas...they aren't bribing our politicians here at home.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked
reply to post by GeneralMishka
 


I'm sorry, I'm aware of the quotes you have kindly provided, none of them are attributable to having come from the mouth of Christ, are they?



In Christianity, the letters of Paul are considered divine, but if you need a red letter Gospel quotes...here you are


Mark 7:20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.

Mark 7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

Mark 7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeneralMishka

Originally posted by something wicked
reply to post by GeneralMishka
 


I'm sorry, I'm aware of the quotes you have kindly provided, none of them are attributable to having come from the mouth of Christ, are they?



In Christianity, the letters of Paul are considered divine, but if you need a red letter Gospel quotes...here you are


Mark 7:20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.

Mark 7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

Mark 7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:


................ and now one that actually spells it out and doesn't rely on interpretation please.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Labrynth2012

Originally posted by PvtHudson
First of all, I'm not religious. I'm agnostic. So, please spare me the accusations of being a butt hurt Christian.

All I want to know is why the discussion of gay marriage is so narrowly focused on one church, the Christian church? You never hear anyone complaining the mosques in America dont marry gays. You never see stories in the MSM about how hateful and bigoted Muslim are for not allowing gays to be married. All I ever hear or see is a complaint the Christian church wont allow gay marriage.

Why hasn't the gay movement focused on getting all the same government benefits of marriage through civil unions? Why the fight to re-define what the Christian institution of marriage? It seems to me they would have a much easier time doing that?

Is this all about discrediting and demonizing Christianity?


It is because CHRISTIANS are so vocal about gay lifestyles and marriage. The BIBLE is completely against the gay lifestyle. GOD considered the gay lifestyle an "ABOMINATION".



Bullcrap. The small minded people who wrote the bible said it was an abomination not god. God is evolving humanity on this planet one idea at a time testing humans to see how small minded they still are. Seeing who can let the judging be left to god instead of ego mind views who normally have no idea what god intended.

Please put more words in gods mouth because by your action you are showing everyone that exists how evolved you really are and where you will fit in. If you act with hate you deserve to receive hate. I have a feeling Jesus would say shame on you.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleByLittle

Originally posted by Labrynth2012

Originally posted by PvtHudson
First of all, I'm not religious. I'm agnostic. So, please spare me the accusations of being a butt hurt Christian.

All I want to know is why the discussion of gay marriage is so narrowly focused on one church, the Christian church? You never hear anyone complaining the mosques in America dont marry gays. You never see stories in the MSM about how hateful and bigoted Muslim are for not allowing gays to be married. All I ever hear or see is a complaint the Christian church wont allow gay marriage.

Why hasn't the gay movement focused on getting all the same government benefits of marriage through civil unions? Why the fight to re-define what the Christian institution of marriage? It seems to me they would have a much easier time doing that?

Is this all about discrediting and demonizing Christianity?



Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!



It is because CHRISTIANS are so vocal about gay lifestyles and marriage. The BIBLE is completely against the gay lifestyle. GOD considered the gay lifestyle an "ABOMINATION".



Bullcrap. The small minded people who wrote the bible said it was an abomination not god. God is evolving humanity on this planet one idea at a time testing humans to see how small minded they still are. Seeing who can let the judging be left to god instead of ego mind views who normally have no idea what god intended.

Please put more words in gods mouth because by your action you are showing everyone that exists how evolved you really are and where you will fit in. If you act with hate you deserve to receive hate. I have a feeling Jesus would say shame on you.



Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
edit on 12-12-2012 by GeneralMishka because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma
 


To answer your final question, taxes and companionship. How bout we toss equality in there too.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Also can it be put into the T&C that if the OP doesn't chime in by page 4 the thread should be shut down? This is clearly just another troll thread.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019
 


The outdated and patently ridiculous beliefs of the Christian faith are what is emptying churches, not some ludicrous plot.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Cause Christians tend to be so close minded.

2nd line.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
because christians are narrowminded , hypocritical control freaks and busybodies who think their primitive .. barbaric superstition gives them the right to dictate to everyone how to live....



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
because christians are narrowminded , hypocritical control freaks and busybodies who think their primitive .. barbaric superstition gives them the right to dictate to everyone how to live....


This.

Plus it's the reason why religion was invented....to CONTROL PEOPLE.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
because christians are narrowminded , hypocritical control freaks and busybodies who think their primitive .. barbaric superstition gives them the right to dictate to everyone how to live....

um???

Kinda like the above post??



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The reason Christanity is targeted is becuase we dont go around threating to behead people or riot in the streets. like some faiths



posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by knightrider078
 


Really?
You must not know the history of Christianity then



posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
im talking about now DO you see christians rioting in the streets when Jesus is mocked on south park or on art showing him in piss nope.
edit on 13-12-2012 by knightrider078 because: (no reason given)






top topics



 
23
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

log in

join