It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Girl's Last Hope, Altered Immune Cells Beat Leukemia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

In Girl's Last Hope, Altered Immune Cells Beat Leukemia

www.nytimes.com

It is hard to believe, but last spring Emma, then 6, was near death from leukemia. She had relapsed twice after chemotherapy, and doctors had run out of options.

Desperate to save her, her parents sought an experimental treatment at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, one that had never before been tried in a child, or in anyone with the type of leukemia Emma had. The experiment, in April, used a disabled form of the virus that causes AIDS to reprogram Emma’s immune system genetically to kill cancer cells.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.popsci.com

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 10-12-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I view this as a huge break through in the fight against cancer. I do hope we hear more about this research becoming mainstream in cancer treatments. AIDS cures cancer! Who would have thunk it. They are basically taking the part of the aids virus that is able to enter the cell and replacing the destructive part of the aids virus with cancer treatment(immune response).

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-12-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Good for the little girl that survived.

But the cure for cancer have already been found, many times. It just isn't profitable, simple as that. I mean, why would anybody bother to make a cure for cancer if there's no money to be made in it? screw the fact that you could save millions of people.

Don't you just love Capitalism?
edit on 10-12-2012 by HappyWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Wonderful news that this baby girl's life was saved.
However, it is not the nature of mankind to use such things in good will for posterity. Thus the proven success of this treatment will most likely end up being exploited to end more lives, than save.

In a perfect world, this would not be so. But we do not live in a perfect world.

Not trying to be negative. Just keepin' it real, y'all....'cuz genetic manipulation ain't no jive.
edit on 10-12-2012 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

But we do not live in a perfect world.

Not yet...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

I am fairly cynical, but this is a 'good' news story.
I am happy for the girl. Also glad for AIDS being put to good use.

Thanks for posting it! S&F!

edit on 10-12-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Considering DNA is a kind of programming language to begin with its about time they start to do this and people win. I wonder if when its perfected and they should have 100% success, if they will deliberately code errors so that some will still die. After all amongst their famous quotes, in that thread recently, they want 350 000 deaths per day. One of Jacques-Yves Cousteau's quotes.

And this must not happen. Also it says Big Pharma is very interested. Hmm....why? So they can either buy off this patent or create a very expensive cancer drug that reprograms your DNA, but, has a certain failure rate built in? Or do they want to buy up the entire thing, patent it, then bury it?

We really need to keep this up and running. Because this coding DNA can do alot of harm and they already doing so with radiation, GMO, nano technology, foods, and probably frequency. ANd horrific news and media. However, obviously this is the Good Stuff too and we have a right to ensure it is the Future Upgrade for ALL, not their plans.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Wonderful story. I'm familiar with CHOP (Children's of Philly) and I believe they will continue to do research and use this treatment in cases when all other treatments have been exhausted.

There are a lot of forms of cancer, so to cure them all would take a lot of time, money, and brilliant minds working together. To say that it will never happen because it isn't "profitable" is just nonsense.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappyWarrior

But the cure for cancer have already been found, many times. It just isn't profitable, simple as that. I mean, why would anybody bother to make a cure for cancer if there's no money to be made in it? screw the fact that you could save millions of people.

Capitolism ain't the problem, corporatism and corporate facism is. Big Pharma wants to hold a monopoly on treatments and cures, to bottleneck all that money into one entity, then they turn around and market half assed treatments that really do not help. Doctors know all about it and they get paid a percentage sum to get you to take crap that will kill you a couple years later. Half the stuff they market you gives you worse crap than what you suffer from, like cancer, strokes and heartattacks.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Wait, so why do billionaires die from cancer?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartesia

Wait, so why do billionaires die from cancer?

I'm still amazed that people still believe that "big pharma" are holding out on a cure for cancer like they have a magic pill which if released would be a panacea.
As has been said, cancer's an umbrella term for a number of different diseases. A cure or treatment for one would probably not affect another.

But rather than derail the thread I'm absolutely thrilled for the little girl and her family.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

AIDS cures cancer!

AIDS is not a virus. AIDS is not what was used. AIDS is a collective group of ailments accompanied with a specific T-cell count. The connection here is the widely (yet disputed) held claim HIV causes AIDS. They used a modified HIV virus.

Here is a quote from a different article.

But scientists say the treatment that helped Mr. Ludwig, described recently in The New England Journal of Medicine and Science Translational Medicine, may signify a turning point in the long struggle to develop effective gene therapies against cancer. And not just for leukemia patients: other cancers may also be vulnerable to this novel approach — which employs a disabled form of H.I.V.-1, the virus that causes AIDS, to carry cancer-fighting genes into the patients’ T-cells. In essence, the team is using gene therapy to accomplish something that researchers have hoped to do for decades: train a person’s own immune system to kill cancer cells.

Really awesome news for that girl! And hopefully for many others!

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
This is awesome news!

I have been waiting years to hear there are breakthroughs with treatment for Leukemia/Cancer.

Im surprised this hasnt been done before as we have been working with DNA for quite some time.

When we heard you could save your umbilical cord for treatment in future pregnancies for cancer I knew then there must be something to reprogramming your DNA to fight the cancer.

Once cancer cells become mature its a death sentence.... but not in this case.... what a relief!!!!!

My son was diagnosed in 95 and lost his battle in 99. He was 15. It sucks every single day knowing there was SOMETHING we could do.... just didn't know what. Im super glad to know... and I know he is too. Finally, there is SOMETHING we are doing today to treat and kill these cells that are so deadly.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
So..... I wonder what they do about this issue? It seems as if Emma is back in school where germs rule the roost so to speak. What is preventing her from getting a deadly infection?

It is not clear whether a patient’s body needs the altered T-cells forever. The cells do have a drawback: they destroy healthy B-cells as well as cancerous ones, leaving patients vulnerable to certain types of infections, so Emma and the other patients need regular treatments with immune globulins to prevent illness.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Isn't profitable? Do you really believe that for a single second!!!

You set up a custom hospital solely designed to cure cancer. You look at how much current cancer treatment costs. You undercut that by a good amount & you will rake the cash in every single day. The population is ever increasing & your 'customers' are living longer which gives more chance they will be affected by cancer at some point during their life (my grandfather was 79 when he developed it, they gave him 6 months but he held on for a little over 10). On top of that, who's to say the patients you cured won't develop another form of the disease in future.

Make it cheap enough, available to all & you have single handedly cornered the market. Unlike all these conspiracy theories revolving around this matter, there is plenty of money to be made by curing cancer.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Capitolism ain't the problem, corporatism and corporate facism is. Big Pharma wants to hold a monopoly on treatments and cures, to bottleneck all that money into one entity, then they turn around and market half assed treatments that really do not help. Doctors know all about it and they get paid a percentage sum to get you to take crap that will kill you a couple years later. Half the stuff they market you gives you worse crap than what you suffer from, like cancer, strokes and heartattacks.

Doctors do not get paid a percentage of any type of pharmaceutical sales. There are good people and there are bad people, regardless of what their career may be.
A doctor spends a minimum of 24 years of their life pursuing an education. Should they choose to specialize, you can tack on a few additional years to that.
Then, once they are done being in school for almost a third of their life, they begin their career anywhere from $200,000 +plus in debt, and that is at the very low-end of the spectrum, which would include subtracting scholarship money.
People want to vilify doctors because they make an above-average income, but that is the very incentive which causes most people to dedicate that much of their life pursuing the education for it.
Anyone can become a doctor, but a far less amount of people want to invest the kind of time and effort it takes to accomplish it.
Pharma and many physicians are in bed with each other, no doubt. But what you are referring to are the ones who receive exorbitant "speaking fees" (marketing presentations) and "expense reimbursements" (vehicles, vacations/travel, vacation properties, etc.) .

Not all doctors are bad little Bro, you know that

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by big_BHOY

Unlike all these conspiracy theories revolving around this matter, there is plenty of money to be made by curing cancer.

No need to enter the realm of theory, capitalism isn't that mysterious. It isn't a matter of whether there is money to be made in curing cancer. Of course there is. What matters to corporate interests is whether it's the most profitable option. Cost of being cured versus prolonged medications and treatments.

But the cure for cancer have already been found, many times....

...I mean, why would anybody bother to make a cure for cancer

These two are in conflict.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

You're 100% correct, and coupled with the fact that some of TPTB are active in population reduction attempts makes it even harder for things like this to be commonplace. I'm sure this new thing will come and go and people will never hear of it again, just like every other cure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join