It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Customers Called 'Fat Girls' on Restaurant Bill

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Yep that was pretty insensitive, rude even.

Fire the waiter indeed.

Altho overweight people can do everything right and still not live up to someone elses expectations so much they starve themselves, do evasive surgeries, and other well known things.

Compassion and empathy only go so far until someone is a walking heart attack waiting.

either or.

link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
As someone else has stated already, unless you have a medical condition, there is no excuse for obesity. It shows laziness. And laziness is a trait passed on to the younger generation. Its why we hear about childhood obesity so much. And they're saying now, that despite advances in modern medicine, for the first time the younger generation is NOT expected to outlive their parents. Why? Obesity!

If my remarks come across as insensitive, tough s---.

That is also an ignorant statement. I had a wonderful friend many years ago, she was beautiful but very large. She didn't eat any more then I do but she had bad knees, had the ligaments in the replaced at 21 by cadaver ligaments...YOU don't KNOW what may cause someone else to be heavy!! Unless i am missing something here and YOU are GOD!

link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Now THAT is not fair. If these girls get upset it should be that THEY don't like the idea of being overweight and not because someone stated the obvious about them.

An insult is only an insult when the tone is insulting. The waiter used the description of fat only to easily remember which table the food went to. If he stood at the table and said, "Gawd, you people are fat!", THAT would've been an insult.

Cmon dude, Ive seen your posts and know your an intelligent guy.
Yes they were fat, no this isnt news worthy but regardless of these facts what was done was insensitive and wrong.

Instead of leaving it to waiters to label customers why dont they just have table numbers

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Knees hurt?
Swim

link   
Once i was having a lunch at the Hard Rock cafe at Las Vegas and there were this very obesity guy whos butt cheeks were on the floor each side of the chair he was sitting on in front of our table.. that totally ruined my appetite..

Did i asked for discount cos of the view which destroyed my appetite or mentioned to the waiter.. nooo
Maybe i should have

link   

Originally posted by Lifespan
Customer gets insulted for simply being who they are and everybody defends it.
I have no doubt now why the world is headed down the crapper.

3 people get offended because someone was truthful in using their most obvious feature when writing a mental note to keep track of who is where.
No wonder the world is going down the crapper.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

If they were related or friends of mine, of course I would feel for them. But I would help them and do all I could to help them shed the weight, if that is what they truely wanted.

Just as I thought

If you knew them and it affected you in some way it would be different. coz you dont know them you cant see any issue or feel any sympathy.

You are a very sad little person in my opinion.

Not gonna waste any more time responding to you on this topic

link   
Open season on the overweight. Who's next? Anyone who doesn't meet your expectation of beauty?

There happen to be a hell of a lot of nice fat people out there. Fat doesn't make you less worthy of friendship or attention or kindness.

I am beyond disgusted with the fat-bashers in this thread. You are subhuman. DISGUSTING.

link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

Originally posted by SLAYER69
You know..

Screw all that. If I'm a business owner I wouldn't want some smart mouthed opinionated moron working for me insulting the customers which threatens the business and my lively hood.

Take that back to the pubescent school yards where it belongs....

I love it how so many self proclaimed supposedly "Enlightened/intellectual people" come crawling out of the woodwork and show their true nature.

Oh

Wait

But we are talking about Fat people.....!

So it's ok

Pathetic.

Is it wrong to try and get people to turn their lives around? These women were offended, so they knew it held a certain truth. They might go on to lose the weight and live a healthy lifestyle now.

Should we sit and let these people eat themselves into an early grave? By the way you veiw the world, we obviously should. Disgraceful.
edit on 10-12-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

What makes it your business? So you walk up to every overweight person and help them out with your advice? If you see a guy have one to many to drink at the picnic or game you go on over and tell them they are a drunk...because you are so concerned and helpful?

I would bet all you kind helpful people are Christians too, Jesus said any old bum might be him...may be a FAT person too!

link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

It's not that I lack empathy, it's that I have better things to do, if this happened to my friends I would have have tipped the waiter extra. I'm not overly-sensitive like the rest of you. I can take a little tongue-and-cheek humor. People are blowing this way out of proportion like it's some crime against humanity. It's a fricking check, with the words fat girls on it, it got delivered to said 'fat girls'... end of story, I'm sorry their feelings got hurt, but that doesn't mean it should be on the news, it doesn't mean i need to feel empathy towards these girls, in fact with the tantrum they raised, and how many people are now talking about the incident, frankly, I'm disgusted with them. Seriously, don't we all have something better to do than to feel sorry for people with poor personal health habits?

link   

Originally posted by The X

3 people get offended because someone was truthful in using their most obvious feature when writing a mental note to keep track of who is where.

Really? So saying they were fat is more truthful than using hair color? Or outfit color? OR TABLE NUMBER?

the attempts to justify this type of behavior is just sad.

link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

That sounds like non-sense to me.
Intelligient people rip on less intelligient people all the time!
Everybody uses or has used insults so does that mean all of humanity is dumb?

I'm going to look up those studies and see for myself...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The X

that's not a mental note just for the record
and if he was even semi decent at his job he would not need to use these kind of label's
whats wrong with using clothing as a note? just a side thought?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArtOfTrance

That sounds like non-sense to me.
Intelligient people rip on less intelligient people all the time!
Everybody uses or has used insults so does that mean all of humanity is dumb?

I'm going to look up those studies and see for myself...

Please do so. On the other hand, if you don't like that example, maybe I should point out your misspellings to make my point.

The point being, that we all have flaws. If you aren't okay with someone using your flaws as the overlying describer of who you are, why are you okay with it being done to other people?

link   

Also, I can see you overlooked the part of my post that said 'unless you have a medical condition'. If you want to attack my position, that's fine. But do it honestly, please and thanks.

link   

You know some of the ugliest outsides are filled with beauty that is what life has taught me. The outside is the package we are in. If we don't make an effort to look past what personally find repulsive in others that I think we are the ones losing out. The actions and the heart of anyone should be what matters.

OK so how does calling 3 women fat B*tches fit into your humane worldview?

Edit: sorry my bad, I thought the post you quoted was from you
edit on 10-12-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

No one has the right to make other people feel bad and thats the point you all seem to be missing

Now THAT is not fair. If these girls get upset it should be that THEY don't like the idea of being overweight and not because someone stated the obvious about them.

An insult is only an insult when the tone is insulting. The waiter used the description of fat only to easily remember which table the food went to. If he stood at the table and said, "Gawd, you people are fat!", THAT would've been an insult.

Yeah hard to remember table number "one" without the insult.

You know what, some people like being heavier and enjoy being who they are....does not mean they want a derogatory description given when they go out to eat!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
All I am seeing here with this "truth hurts" nonsense is "I don't care if they pick on people that are different from me"

Food service is stressful and thankless... and as others have pointed out, that kind of talk does happen. Bagging on customers is one of the coping mechanisms that servers and staff end up utilizing to vent. But never ever to the customer or in any manner perceivable by the customer.

Want to be a judgmental idiot? Do it IN THE BACK ROOM Do it in a TEXT to your significant other. NEVER do it publicly.

As for "fat". Delete it and put back in any number of other descriptors that you wouldn't call someone you actually knew, respected, or cared about. Grandma got some love handles? Do you call her fat?

Waiters, incidentally, work for tips. So all of you advocating and admiring him... A suggestion. Take a part time job as a waiter and walk it like you talk it. Let's see how long that lasts before you, and your empty pockets, get it.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

there is a fine line between telling it like it is,and making a mistake.

pointing out misspellings are also probably the lowest form of examples,as you said everybody makes mistakes.
some people use sentence fragments.

sometimes I don't start a sentence with capitals letters,is that an indicator to my IQ?

Im not writing an English Final Essay or anything,Im just trying to get my point across without wasting too much time writing it so I can keep browsing this fine site of ATS.

also,I found the study,seems kinda bogus :/ I know people who are borderline omniscient who hurl insults all day long ._.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join