It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Customers Called 'Fat Girls' on Restaurant Bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GArnold

It's perceived as insulting the customer.

Also, Restaurants need customers, without them there is no business. Now that the word is out chances are all their other "Fat Customers" wont bother giving them business.

So, in that respect they'll lose again.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
I'm sure that they could have fixed the whole thing with a free dessert for each of them.

lol, logically, but that would screw things up even more.
this is something that can not be fixed. best we can do is stop being so sensitive over it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Waiter obviously had a asperger !

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

A hateful and stupid thing for the waiter to do. Shows an obvious lack of empathy and some deep personal issues on his part.

To me the question really is if this is an isolated incident, or if a post-mortem of their system would show a pattern of describing customers through such thoughtless and blatantly ignorant terms. It is one thing to say "This goes to the fat girls in the back booth..." ( not endorsing doing so - just saying "it's one thing to..." ) and entirely another to write such things on a check intended for the guest.

For those who have never had to work in that environment - descriptors are sometimes necessary to get food expedited. If you pay attention, in most chain restaurants, the person you order from often is not the person who brings you your meal. This is because whoever happens to be standing there, when YOUR food is ready, gets tasked with delivering it. This serves two purposes. First it makes sure HOT food is served. Secondly, it shaves time off of your visit. Every second your butt is in that seat is a second that another paying customer cannot sit there. So turnover is a HUGE part of the industry. Get people fed and out as fast as possible.

Thus things like "The steak goes to the lady in red and the fish to the guy in plaid" is fair game.

"Fat girl" is not.

From a business standpoint? If the manager was unaware of it, then I'd think it the poor choice of an idiot employee who was subsequently terminated. If I discovered that this was not an isolated incident? The management staff would be following the idiot waiter - right out the door an onto the dole.

From a personal standpoint? How sad we are that we point out the obvious flaws in others so readily and eagerly. It's almost as if we're trying to draw attention away from our own flaws.

Sad.

~Heff

Heff you are totally right in general about how food gets to tables.. I will say if you think that servers do not use descriptors such as "fat" or "the ugly guy in the wife beater" you are very wrong. NO restaurant I have worked at has discouraged it in any way.. in fact they never make any mention of it in the rules and regulations you sign when starting to work there. This is 2012... not 1950 America. Things have changed.. people have changed.

link   

Heff, I got mad respect for you and some of the topic you cover... I'm all for progressing humanity through benevolence and good deeds, but you know what's going on in a restaurant. People are impatient, needy, careless, thoughtless, rude... to name a few, waitstaff are usually, overworked, stressed, tired, or any number of other things. The waiter could have easily keyed that into the POS not thinking that they would see that on their check.

I'm respectful to people as long as they deserve it, but these girls throwing a hoopla and making the dude leave his employment because of two words, it more monstrous than anything the server did. I do not condone, pity parties or self-indulgence to any degree.

link   

Originally posted by minettejo
Really? A news story?

Ridiculous. They are fat. It was rude and hurtful and unnecessary, but it was the truth. I think a complaint and a comp meal is ample reward. I can't believe a news agency would even pick this up.

If I went out to a restaurant to be pampered and have my food served to me, I would not be there to get insulted.

Going public is a good way to let the restaurant know and customers know that this is not a place that demands servers make you feel special in their restaurant. I think it is fair and we own a restaurant.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I guess this is the defenition of 'truth hurts'

But if it happened to me I cant see myself just laughing it off, id just have a word with the waiter and he would probably apologise and that would be it. Why they have to plaster themselves all over the news I dont know. They just makes themselves look stupid because they are fat.

I too work in a restaurant and like the other guy said, its just a way of dealing with a job that involves demanding (sometimes rude people) and massively unsociable hours, probably the same way paramedics joke about patients to deal with what they have to face everyday and stay sane.

We call people the 'fat woman' or the glasses table (cos they all had glasses on) lol, its all just daft little things that at the end of the day mean absolutely nothing.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CincinnatiReds

Maybe you should cram your rotten attitude where the sun don't shine.

The restaurant obviously doesn't need the business. I'd stop patronizing it. Any place that abuses its customers shouldn't have any customers.

Yes, this is 2012. We could use more of the 1950's right now.
edit on 12/10/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/10/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
Where's the picture of the girls?

Are they fat, or aren't they?

Well if you are ugly to the wait person and they write ugly on your check i hope you feel pleased as heck!

Guess we should have a scale on the way into businesses now so we can be sure if we insult someone it is truly "called for".

I sure hope there is some sorting work going on somewhere!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Are they fat, or aren't they?

Can't say! Double chin is covering up everything...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Seriously people. What I see here is a waiter who used the most obvious visual identifier for a table that most likely wasnt numbered.

For instance, if it had been me sitting there, the ticket would have said 'studly'. Would I have been upset? Nope. Its a statement of fact.
Haha

I'm sure it was never intended that those girls would see that on their ticket.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard
I guess this is the defenition of 'truth hurts'

But if it happened to me I cant see myself just laughing it off, id just have a word with the waiter and he would probably apologise and that would be it. Why they have to plaster themselves all over the news I dont know. They just makes themselves look stupid because they are fat.

I too work in a restaurant and like the other guy said, its just a way of dealing with a job that involves demanding (sometimes rude people) and massively unsociable hours, probably the same way paramedics joke about patients to deal with what they have to face everyday and stay sane.

We call people the 'fat woman' or the glasses table (cos they all had glasses on) lol, its all just daft little things that at the end of the day mean absolutely nothing.

I was a waitress many years! I can't imagine insulting a customer! I am not there to judge them I am there to serve them! calling them names behind their backs at least is not hurting them, ( I personally think that stinks too).

If you work for a business it is YOUR JOB to make the customer want to COME BACK!

If you are PERFECT I guess you feel you have the right to put others down.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

They weren't insulted to their faces, that's the point. It was done in secret and forgot to be taken off of the bill before printing. If you think you can stop people having their own opinions on something like obesity, then there is always going to be a problem.

When the bill was presented to them and they could read FAT GIRLS it was done to their faces.
Not only was it remarkably insensitive but it was disgusting customer service.

If done out the back as in
WAITER: you got the order for the fat girls yet
thats fine
presenting them the bill with fat chicks on it, unacceptable

I cant believe people are saying its in anyway OK
edit on 10-12-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Looking at the ticket.. I am pretty sure the table number is on there. It says Fat Girls/1. I bet they were at table 1. He or she just forgot to take the thing off the ticket when he went to print it. Or he was training someone and they brought the ticket out without knowing that was there.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by wishful1gnorance
reply to post by xavi1000

Outrage! Preposterous! Loud NOisES! Seriously?

I'm glad he did it. The first step to recovery is acknowledging your problem. If they didn't know they were fat, now they do, they can start fixing it. All kidding aside though... how is this news worthy? Server's are the one's who have it tough you know, those fat girls could have been the rudest fatties on the western hemisphere, the certainly look like the laziests with their droll faces and arm fat, and he's the one who gets punished.. there is your outrage.

fatty boom boom needs to find something better to do with her time.

edit on 10-12-2012 by wishful1gnorance because: editing

The fact that someone chose to star your statement shows us how bad this world needs to be cleansed!
If I had raised you I would cringe from embarrassment!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by GArnold
reply to post by Char-Lee

Looking at the ticket.. I am pretty sure the table number is on there. It says Fat Girls/1. I bet they were at table 1. He or she just forgot to take the thing off the ticket when he went to print it. Or he was training someone and they brought the ticket out without knowing that was there.

THIS.

And this small mistake upset all fat people across the World

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33
Wonder if they left a tip before they saw it and asked for it back, but it's just a description of the table for reference, an insensitive one maybe, but not slanderous, would it have made them happier if he said 3BBFW or Skinny? I mean seems to me they are just mad at him pointing out the obvious, they probably ate then felt guilty for what they ate right?

BAW33

yeah sure, it shows they didn't order much but we all know if you are heavy you should never eat right!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Oh Heff, perfect way to sum it all up. Many thumbs up to you my friend. I have been rather disgusted by most of the posts in here until I came across yours. In fact, I love reading many of your posts and threads!

It makes me sick to my stomach to see so much hate directed at people only because of their outward appearance. What that waiter did was rude and childish. I believe he owes those ladies an apology.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The attitudes about the overweight in this thread are disgusting. I wonder how cruel some of you are to people with other disadvantages. Of course you're only cruel behind their backs, right?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

They weren't insulted to their faces, that's the point. It was done in secret and forgot to be taken off of the bill before printing. If you think you can stop people having their own opinions on something like obesity, then there is always going to be a problem.

When it was presented to them and they could read FAT CHICKS it was done to their faces.
Not only was it remarkably insensitive but it was disgusting customer service.

If done out the back as in
WAITER: you got the order for the fat chicks yet
thats fine
presenting them the bill with fat chicks on it, unacceptable

I cant believe people are saying its in anyway OK

Well if this upset them, then maybe it will spur them into action to do something about their weight, which they obviously feel upset about.

And you know what if it saves them from a heart attack or early death, I would have done the same myself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join