It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is not a congregation... or a shooting range

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

You make the point that religious topics should be open to discussion.
I would accept that point with the qualification that the discussion should be within the topic of the thread.
So if a topic is opened up on some speciic, limited, area of religious teaching, it would not be "on-topic" to try to extend the disussion to wider matters like whether God exists, whether the Bible is true, etc.
There is a sticky thread on the Theology forum, posted by dbates ("going beyond Religion 101...") , designed to keep posters conscious of the need to refrain from that kind of hi-jacking of religious threads.

edit on 10-12-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by mr10k

You make the point that religious topics should be open to discussion.
I would accept that point with the qualification that the discussion should be within the topic of the thread.
So if a topic is opened up on some speciic, limited, area of religious teaching, it would not be "on-topic" to try to extend the disussion to wider matters like whether God exists, whether the Bible is true, etc.
There is a sticky thread on the Theology forum, posted by dbates ("going beyond Religion 101...") , designed to keep posters conscious of the need to refrain from that kind of hi-jacking of religious threads.

edit on 10-12-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

Exactly what I mean, you know, open to discussion on the topic of the thread. Like the examples I gave, the OP of a religious or non religious thread should make it clear what the thread is about so that people don't jump in and misunderstand. I've seen too many threads where the OP doesn't clarify what their thread is about and continue to ramble on in cryptic messages that not even people who share their faith understand.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

I've seen too many threads where the OP doesn't clarify what their thread is about and continue to ramble on in cryptic messages that not even people who share their faith understand.

Keep in mind,we have mentally ill people,kids and people who are so adhd that they can't keep their thoughts on track,so we have to take it for what it is sometimes and lead by example by showing tolerance,its the same privilege we all get here....just ignore it and move on.

I do hear your thread though and agree...its the rant forum,one of my fav places.
edit on 10-12-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

My guess ( and that is all it is) is that because on the religious debates the topic is basically a matter of belief or faith (if you will).

Its a very hard thing to change in people, in particular by written word. Eventually debate turns to stalemate and insults in many cases instead of just agreeing to disagree.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by mr10k

I've seen too many threads where the OP doesn't clarify what their thread is about and continue to ramble on in cryptic messages that not even people who share their faith understand.

Keep in mind,we have mentally ill people,kids and people who are so adhd that they can't keep their thoughts on track,so we have to take it for what it is sometimes and lead by example by showing tolerance,its the same privilege we all get here....just ignore it and move on.

I do hear your thread though and agree...its the rant forum,one of my fav places.
edit on 10-12-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

This is more where I was trying to steer my earlier posts as I was getting off topic. I completely agree. It takes patience and understanding not correcting and judgement more often than not, to get to the root of the matter, Ie the discussion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join