It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natural cure: Scientists create stem cell contact lens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Hi all..

Once again science is coming on in leaps and bounds... Seemingly, scientists have now created a contact lens that will be able to heal the eye/s of the person affected, and the healing will be natural..

Researchers have found a better and a cheaper way to restore human sight by implanting a contact lens containing stem cells that will repair the human cornea.

Scientists from the University of Sheffield hope that the biodegradable implant disc's stem cells will multiply in the eye, thus rebuilding the transparent layer on the front of the eye, known as the cornea, the degradation of which is one of the major causes of blindness in the world, a study published in Acta Biomaterialia journal revealed.

This is great news... However, it is interesting to note that the clinical trials will be carried out in India.. Using the people of a developing country as guinea pigs...

The clinical trials are expected to begin in India as "the overall treatment using these discs will not only be better than current treatments, it will be cheaper as well," Frederick Claeyssens from University of Sheffield said.

rt.com...

thanks for reading...

peace
fluffx

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

I guess they use Indian people because the laws are more relaxed in developing countries and life is considered to be worth less.. The Bhopal disaster in India saw widowers receive about $3.50 a month. A lot cheaper than a western country if things go wrong...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Awesome! This is gonna be great for my -10 eye's lol (not blind, but almost hehe...)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Any idea how much longer till they have a cure for hearing loss/deafness? I've been waiting and waiting to be whole for the first time in my life since I was two. Just curious if there is anyone out there who has been following scientific advancements that might know how much longer it will be. Personally, I rather there be a cure for blindness first. Being blind is truly worse than having little to no hearing at all.

Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing this with us OP. S&F for you.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by longtimelurkerr

Yay..! Thats great

Although i am not sure how long it will be till these things can be prescribed to people.. But at least its here and working its way through the pipeline..

edit on 10-12-2012 by fluff007 because: spelling O.o

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Im sorry about that

Well thee might not have to wait too much longer...! It seems that the scientists are experimenting with stem cells for curing deafness too.

Deafness Cure Step Closer With Stem Cells

A cure for a common form of deafness known as auditory neuropathy is a step closer, after researchers from the University of Sheffield in the UK used human embryonic stem cells to repair a similar type of hearing loss in gerbils.

Using gerbils and human embryonic stem cells, Rivolta and colleagues describe how they repaired an important part of that link: the auditory nerve.

"We have the proof of concept that we can use human embryonic stem cells to repair the damaged ear," Rivolta told Nature News.
As well as proving that stem cells can repair damaged hearing, the researchers hope the breakthrough will lead to new treatments.

"More work needs to be done, but now we know it's possible," said Rivolta.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

And also it transpires that the scientists working on this are also in the same University as the scientists working on the natural cure for bad eyes... Way to go Sheffield University...!

Hope this is useful for you, and i truly hope it wont be much longer till this is available for thee ...

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

I agree. Blindness is far, far worse than deafness.

But find your willingness to eschew self importance to make that admission refreshing. Being hard of hearing is also certainly no walk in the park, I am sure. But blindness would seem to be worse.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Amazing this has happened. I've certainly thought about such an application before and wondered if/when it would happen. I do wonder if it can help people who have bad eyesight (but by no means blind) due to other reasons such as the shape of the eye or whatever?

top topics

join