Holy Spock! The Star Trek Medical Tricorder Is Real

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

gizmodo.com

The device you're looking at is called the Scanadu SCOUT and, basically, it's a medical tricorder that will give you precise vital information about any human being within seconds, just on contact.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Oh if only it looked like it too LOL
Yes, everything we trek geeks have waited for is now available to us for Christmas LOL

All kidding aside, the only thing I'm still waiting for now is a better phaser and a flying car!

gizmodo.com

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Live long and prosper II//

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
If this is on the cards for the general public, then it's only a matter of time before people such as, employers, or governments make it statutory that itinerary and reporting of results are disclosed to them, Such as when you try and pull a sicky one Monday at work because you drank too much at the party the night before, but tell your employer 'I got the flu', he checks his email....'No you haven't'. Improved and improvised a little more and it can root out benefit cheats for the governments. After all, if employers and governments are handing out Ipads and such what's stopping them taking it one step further?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill

gizmodo.com

The device you're looking at is called the Scanadu SCOUT and, basically, it's a medical tricorder that will give you precise vital information about any human being within seconds, just on contact.

On contact? Pfft... wake me up when it can do it at a distance of 10-12"s

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Lol.. the tech in star trek is pretty primitive by today's standards..

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
They have had forehead thermometers for quite some time now. This device is what doctors offices use, it is just mainstream.

I would actually say this is more star trek, though many EMT services won't be able to afford it anytime soon:

Global Emergency Resources

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

That wouldn't happen, it would be a violation of HIPAA.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
And i have been looking for reliable noninvasive glucosemeter... and noninvasive realtime glucosesensoring and noninvasive insulin.. and none of these seems to hit the markets because keeping old system brings so much more money to big pharmatic companies... now they offer something like this when big masses can start to monitor themselves if they have fever or not..

1969 Man walked on the moon and still today there is no cure for type 1 diabetes..
is this really possible .. big money talks again.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

All it is is a pulse counter and thermometer in one package. It is not a big deal.

I understand how you feel though, they still don't even understand arthritis.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yeah you're right it would be, but saying that, how many rules are bent by employers and governments already? Legislation could be placed in order for it to be implemented with moderation. They way things are supposedly going at the moment, who's to say really. No more coffee for me today, I'm thinking too much.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious

Minus warp drive, teleportation, phasers, etc.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

So you really think that Congress is going to go out of their way to enact legislation, that would contradict HIPAA, so an employer can get your temperature reading if you call out sick?

The most employers can, and will ever be able to do, is request a doctor's note.

for one, employers, unless they are doctors, are not allowed to disseminate medical information.

Don't worry, your fears won't go anywhere.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

I was going to say.

In some ways, such as the touch screen, are surpassing ST standards. But a ST medical tricorder could scan you and see your bones, see your medical information, see any abnormalities, any drugs in your system, etc.
So there is quite a bit of ST technology we haven't caught up to yet.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother

Originally posted by misscurious

Minus warp drive, teleportation, phasers, etc.

All controlled by buttons and knobs..

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by RobbieK

So you really think that Congress is going to go out of their way to enact legislation, that would contradict HIPAA, so an employer can get your temperature reading if you call out sick?

The most employers can, and will ever be able to do, is request a doctor's note.

for one, employers, unless they are doctors, are not allowed to disseminate medical information.

Don't worry, your fears won't go anywhere.

Well I'm in the UK, and it all depends on how Mr Cameron wants his remaining term to run, as I said in my original reply, it was just a thought, and I'm not fearful of it happening. My doctor called me, this was a few years ago, as my employer at the time had called the surgery to confirm my health issues. I was undergoing treatment for Hodgkins Lymphona which resulted in numerous days off, my employer at the time, unfortunately, didn't believe me. The Dr told me that she told him nothing, but called me to make me aware that it happenedand gave me advice.
Safe to say I got sacked, but only after 'my' contract was changed....another story. I was just thinking out loud, in my circumstances at the time, it would've been beneficial to me to have it mandatory. But also mentioning the flip side where it could obviously cause stigma between Employer and Employee etc. A thought worth mentioning I think, even though I might not be any good at writing down exactly whats in my head.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Hi there. Try. medcitynews.com... . Title says it all.

Did see another system, also from the US, but it cost over 2000 GBP so did not look any further. Us poor plebs in the UK get bugger all in the way of inovations.

There are also spray type injections, that have been around for some time.

Good luck.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

You're thinking of the Original Series, no doubt. I think most people do when they think of how far we've come in technology, citing the communicators in particular.
In the later series, the, ah, interface is a lot more sophisticated. Yeah, we have touchscreens now, but I challenge you to find a voice-activated computer that can run a huge starship that has transparent windows and gravity control. Look beyond the buttons and knobs of the Kirk age...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Ho Hum, Yawn....

Wake me up when they develop warp drive and we can chase those grey anal probing aliens right back to their own galaxy.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

Oh ok. I see now.

I don't know what laws you have in the UK to protect medical information, but in the US, we have HIPAA, which is very stringint about protecting people's medical information.

in fact, if you are out on sick leave, your boss can't even tell the other employees why you are out on leave.

Any violations can result in hundreds of thousands in fines, and prison.

Sorry you had a crappy boss.
edit on 10-12-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join