It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Use Up 1.44 million in Just One Month

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
*beezzer stares into a crystal ball*

The US will be two countries in the end. Those that cling to entitlements and government and those that rely on just themselves.

The class warfare has only gotten worse. Divides in class, race, socio-economic status have only gotten worse and will continue to get worse.

Our common enemy is the people we have in office that perpetuate this divide.

Damn shamed, really. I really liked America.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
I actually support food stamp spending. It's one of the few government programs that creates jobs at the local level. Grocery stores need more employees to handle the increased customers. Increased demand for food products creates more jobs in shipping and and production. So, forth.

So, that increase in food stamp use means a growing economy unlike other government spending.

It's trickle-up economics and it's actually less ridiculous than the trickle-down version.

I'd like to see a study of what helps the economy more: welfare to help the poor spend money at stores or corporate welfare to subsidize big industries. Seriously, I'm curious how it would turn out. I'm guessing their effectiveness would be pretty darned close.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Maybe we will get lucky and the world truly ends on 12-21-2012 because the future is not looking to bright add more fuel to that already bleak outlook the progressives are most likely to win the White House again in 2016 according to Gingrich.
edit on 10-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

reply to post by sheepslayer247

To both of you....no one is stating that people should be allowed to starve. However, the government taking money from some to support others is NOT the best solution. There is such a thing as private charity. Food banks, churches with special funds set aside to help those in need - all supported by VOLUNTARY donations. Much better option. Having all the help come from the government is a sure road to disaster, and failure as a nation. Why? Well, first off, if people vote for someone to give them free stuff, there is no more freedom, as the stuff isn't free. it's stolen from other citizens. Failure comes because, eventually, you run out of citizens to steal from, and no one has anything left. Then where does the free stuff come from? It doesn't come. Welfare games are a way for politicians to grab power, control people, and destroy a free nation.

That said, if you really want to help people in need, donate to a local food bank. I recently spoke with the lady that runs the one where we live (town of about 50K people), and this past year has seen an increase in people using them; from about 11,000 last year to 22,000 this year. Yes, double. Yes, almost half the population. Yes, the Obama economy is THAT BAD. Yes, he knows it. Yes, he wants it that way.

I don't know how to make this any plainer.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So its kinda like when you have to fight the town bully thats bigger and stronger than you , but your not allowed to hit them in the nuts because its considered cheating.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

My favorite bunny pic is Back!!!!!!!!

On Topic..

Polarization.

Obama OWNS it.

Americans' Views of Obama More Polarized as Election Nears Ninety percent of Democrats, 8% of Republicans approve of him

link   

Originally posted by GREENFOX74
reply to post by neo96

So its kinda like when you have to fight the town bully thats bigger and stronger than you , but your not allowed to hit them in the nuts because its considered cheating.

Not even close it's more like running to a teacher(government) to make someone "share" because they want it.

link   
reply to post by butcherguy

In the early years of my life and as a young mother we lived on fish and game, I know all about doing without, making a choice between heat or food.

I am going to say something here people are not going to like, but there was a time people were to proud to accept charity, my husband is a lot like that still today.

Sometimes I think this pride makes you learn to exist by your wits and survive the hard way, which teaches valuable survival skills that will be useful in the future.

We shop yard sales, sell at flea markets and do odd jobs on the side and have had to for years, he works five days a week and Sundays flea market vendor, he never has a day off he is 63. they don't make men like him anymore.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

That was the spirit that made this country in to what it would become, but the antithesis of that thought is certainly what is destroying it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

I agree.... so we should be asking wall street and those banker crooks for our money back.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Your post reminded me of a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

The Villiage Blacksmith.

One part says.

"He looks the whole world in the face,
For he owes not any man."

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

That was the spirit that made this country in to what it would become, but the antithesis of that thought is certainly what is destroying it.

Absolutely neo, that was the way we were raised.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Your post reminded me of a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

The Villiage Blacksmith.

One part says.

"He looks the whole world in the face,
For he owes not any man."

Bee, OMG, as I have mentioned before on the forum, my father and grandfather were blacksmiths.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

lol.....I might agree with you but alot of those that are getting food stamps dont even know how to fight for themselves. I mean in a politcal sence.
edit on 10-12-2012 by GREENFOX74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Then for you,

UNDER a spreading chestnut-tree
The village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he,
With large and sinewy hands;
And the muscles of his brawny arms
Are strong as iron bands.

His hair is crisp, and black, and long,
His face is like the tan;
His brow is wet with honest sweat,
He earns whate'er he can,
And looks the whole world in the face,
For he owes not any man.

Week in, week out, from morn till night,
You can hear his bellows blow;
You can hear him swing his heavy sledge,
With measured beat and slow,
Like a sexton ringing the village bell,
When the evening sun is low.

And children coming home from school
Look in at the open door;
They love to see the flaming forge,
And hear the bellows roar,
And catch the burning sparks that fly
Like chaff from a threshing-floor.

He goes on Sunday to the church,
And sits among his boys;
He hears the parson pray and preach,
He hears his daughter's voice,
Singing in the village choir,
And it makes his heart rejoice.

It sounds to him like her mother's voice,
Singing in Paradise!
He needs must think of her once more,
How in the grave she lies;
And with his hard, rough hand he wipes
A tear out of his eyes.

Toiling,---rejoicing,---sorrowing,
Onward through life he goes;
Each morning sees some task begin,
Each evening sees it close;
Something attempted, something done,
Has earned a night's repose.

Thanks, thanks to thee, my worthy friend,
For the lesson thou hast taught!
Thus at the flaming forge of life
Our fortunes must be wrought;
Thus on its sounding anvil shaped
Each burning deed and thought.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

www.theotherpages.org...

I think it appropriate for this thread.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

lol.....I might agree with you but alot of those that are getting food stamps dont even know how to fight for themselves.

The way I see it is for thousands of years man became the dominate species on earth because of his ability to adapt to an ever changing world.

Some who want to play god(welfare) defenders are trying change the environment to suit the person that has turned the majority of people in this country in to nothing but sheep.

Ample evidence that proves this from social engineering to Katrina and Sandy, and people screaming why is government doing more.

When ever single person should be doing more for themselves.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by winterkill

So in ten years we will spend as much money feeding the desparate in america... as we give isreal every year to buy weapons and build temples?

Sounds fair?

These people are FAR from desperate. They are lazy. I work in a grocery store for christs sake, they are almost ALL compeltely healthy. yet they get free food. WHY?? Where is my free food?

Why do they always have nice clothes, and the newest Jordans?

I see it every day, why is half my money going to feed my fat ass, while these people eat for free, then get to spend all that saved money on stuff I can't afford because I have to pay to eat.

The qualifications are too lax. PERIOD.

Edit: Ugh that was an ugly rant, but it kinda wears down on you, when you witness it 5 days a week at work. People will write that abuse is probably minimal, like only 8% or recipients, but I would say it was closer to 60%.. No joke. I live in an area that is getting more and more ghetto by the year also. some of these people really need investigated.

Whatever maybe im just jeolous. Would be nice to save $250 a month like they get to.
edit on 10-12-2012 by Mikeyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Well, goody goody for your friend. Gee, how terrible that she could not make 80 grand on her own..... Meanwhile, other single parents can't even GET any help from the government. People making barely over minimum wage, trying to support a child, pay rent, with a crappy used car, and no money for anything extra, that the oh-so-helpful government tells "tough crap, do without" to. YES, that happens. Been there. First husband walked out, had to support a child on my own, could not even afford food for all the bills. Not talking luxuries, either - rent, utilities, very basic phone, car insurance. No car payments, no credit card bills, and could not afford enough groceries much of the time. Told I made "too much money" to get any help. Guess I was too white for them or something. So I don't want to hear about people needing help so they can get ahead. Not everyone that actually needs it gets it, and a lot that do NOT need it get way too much.

Now, with the current clown in office, our military paycheck isn't enough to pay everything. Do we get help? Not even close. We don't even get the tax breaks we used to. Last tax season, we got, literally, a THIRD LESS BACK than under Bush's tax cuts. So don't try selling this joker to me. 80 grand? Gee, you poor things.....we get HALF that, with 20+ years in, so I really don't want to hear it. Tired of a lot of bums stealing from people that work hard and sacrifice so other people can steal from them by voting for a guy that will give those that support him "freebies" paid for by everyone else.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
reply to post by Thepump

reply to post by sheepslayer247

To both of you....no one is stating that people should be allowed to starve. However, the government taking money from some to support others is NOT the best solution. There is such a thing as private charity. Food banks, churches with special funds set aside to help those in need - all supported by VOLUNTARY donations. Much better option. Having all the help come from the government is a sure road to disaster, and failure as a nation. Why?

That is ridiculous frankly...

Private charity is not going to be able to feed 48 million Americans, period.

You go to places like Haiti after their earthquake, and they struggle to feed several million, despite
international support from over 80 governments and several hundred charities.

I don't know if some of you are stupid (as in mentally retarded), just naive or selfish...

Your cases sounds like you are naive -

So do you honestly think American charities can pump out 144 million meals a day? Or do you reckon
one meal a day suffices?

If you are so kind as to admit that most people should eat three times a day do you think
HONESTLY think American charities can pump out the 5,256,000,000 meals a year that
would constitute feeding 144 million people three times a day?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

reply to post by neo96

lol.....I might agree with you but alot of those that are getting food stamps dont even know how to fight for themselves.

The way I see it is for thousands of years man became the dominate species on earth because of his ability to adapt to an ever changing world.

Some who want to play god(welfare) defenders are trying change the environment to suit the person that has turned the majority of people in this country in to nothing but sheep.

Ample evidence that proves this from social engineering to Katrina and Sandy, and people screaming why is government doing more.

When ever single person should be doing more for themselves.

Man got out of the wilderness because it was smart enough to work together, not because everyone
fought for every last scrap.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join