It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Use Up 1.44 million in Just One Month

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Sure, some people cheat. But all too often that very over-generalization is used to demonize all of them as scam artists and frauds.

Maybe way too often,
But I don't believe that is what I did.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Those of you bickering and crying about food stamps are ignoring the elephant in the room. The corporations benefit the most from this arrangement and you know it. They are allowed to pay a substandard wage and the GOV subsidizes them by giving the working poor food in the form of food stamps.

It is a broken system and we all know it. Instead of bickering and badgering one another...why don't we all put the grey matter we are using to "one up" each other to good use...how about an alternative?

We pay for food because the farmer himself has bills to pay...he has to make money to do that. He has to buy electricity, he has to buy fuel for his tractors...the absolute basis of our society is the farmer...not the stock broker...why can none of you see this? F*ck the stockbroker...he is a pimp in a nice suit. The real backbone of our world is the man who makes the food we eat....if you do not understand this...you are a moron. All the other crap is just crap...it is to entertain a society that allows someone else to make their food...we have too much time on our hands...this is the broken world we live in.

You need to get a grip...food is still the primal necessity of life....everything else is a damned distraction...and...I can see most of you are happy to be distracted...I guess that is all that matters.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yeah a trend because if the economy was doing just so awesome and the current administration was doing its jobs

There would be a sharp decrease in social programs, but there has been the opposite effect.

They choose to put on their rose color glasses.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65

Hey....we could always return to "debtors prisons"...I'm sure someone like you would be fine with that.

Why not. If someone is not responsible enough to pay back the loan, then why should the tax payer be on the hook. This should be for both Companies and people. Why should a bankruptcy allow the person/company be allowed to walk away from THEIR debt?

I have an idea...why not do away with credit. Either you have the money to buy something or you don't...how is that?

Doing away with does not allow for person freedoms. If people want to get into debt, that is their business. I should not have to bail them out.
But I agree with the aspect of, if you don't have the funds, you don't get it.

I think that would be a fine place....there would be a contraction of economy...you know...all the folks who make their money off of interest...but it would be a better world. Yeah sure...if you happen to be a property owner and want to sell a slice off...you have a targeted audience...only those with money could participate but hey...no sponges...no one spending more than they have.

Again, that goes against personal freedoms.

I see your posts often and you seem to be an intelligent person.

Nope, not true. My Libertarian Mind barely allows me to keep the drool from dripping onto my keyboard.
If only I was a Liberal with a Harvard degree. Then I would be smart....

You have this idea that humanity should just be able to run rampant...that whatever happens happens for a reason and could happen no other way..

Yes. Not rampant, but the most limited amount of Govt interaction that it can stand.
Instead of Rampant Govt control, telling everyone what they can and can't do on their own property.

.I have some bad news for you...humanity is a plague...we are a wickedness that will not go quietly into the night...if we can screw a person over to our advantage...we do...we are a sickness that has no cure.

That is nice.
So, I guess we need more and bigger Govt to control the wicked. Thank God that the. Govt isn't filled with wicked people.

But go on...pretend that the system we have is flawless...it's the best thing since a pocket on a shirt..

Yes, the current system, that has been bastardized by Progressives, that currently give the Govt more and more control over our lives is not flawless, to say the least. But, let's march on and give more control to that same Govt.

.you sir...are the absolute reason our system is broken...you believe in it despite it's failures and because of that...we do not seek a better way...people like you are why we are where we are...never asking the tough questions...never seeking an alternative...here is a clue...there is a better way...but until the "sheep" start looking...we will never find it.

What are you babbling about.
The better way is less Govt control, not more.
The better way is to allow people to control their lives and money, not the Govt.

Are you looking for an answer or are you embracing that which is broken?[

Yeah, I am such the embracing type of this current type.......

Ok then.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Lets not forget that Obama not only laxed SNAP restraints for citizens because of the recession, that he also expanded it as part of the farmer drought relief bill that was passed by the Senate in August.

So it is no mytery why they are going up.

So yes, it IS because of Obama's policies, but not in the way these posters are trying to portray.

Food stamp enrollment has been rising for more than a decade. President Bush launched a recruitment campaign, which pushed average participation up by 63% during his eight years in office.

cnn.com

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

Yeah some people sure are ignoring the elephant in the room considering day by day more food is being imported right along with pesticides,fungicides,and fertilizer products.

But who cares right demonize those corporate subsidies that go to places like,Mexico, and China and elsewhere in the world.

But of course that is not the elephant in the room that was meant.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

No one is buying anything. You think that during a recession, someone is willing to shell out money for a used lamp?

Talk about spoiled middle class who has no clue.

So you sell a few possession for a few bucks this month, what about next month?

I have tried to sell my comic book collection, no one is buying. There is no point.

"Sorry kids, I have to sell your toys, because uncle Macman thinks we should be in utter desolation like a third world country, before we can get help"

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
So....

the US has a population of 314 million people, and with an increase of 1.4 million people on foodstamps, that means that there's a change of +0.004% of people going on foodstamps. Yet there are others in here arguing that the change is due to a -0.4% drop in unemployment.

Once again, we're being public opinion is being assaulted by numbers manipulation in order to push a political agenda.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill
Until the U.S. starts adding tariffs equal to the wage variation on imported goods, you will not see jobs coming back.
Corps push to make sure this does not happen.

If we have any hope of turning things around long term, this is step one. Starred and Flagged!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You sir....despite your clever posts here and there...are not that bright.

I am a Libertarian to the point of being an Anarchist. I personally believe in big freedom. I think if you leave people alone they will find a way to get by. I am sure you will disagree. You strike me as the type of person that wants the machine to keep running as long as you are relatively unscathed...I disagree with that. I love my freedom and I love to do whatever I feel like doing in the privacy of my home. I have an Achilles heel though...I mourn for my fellow man. I see his pain...I see his hurt...and I want better for him. I suppose some of you that like to hide behind our "Libertarian" brand do not see this...I cannot help myself, I see and feel their pain.

I so wish for a fair world. I work, I take contracts...I fulfill my obligations and I get paid...this is what I do. I also see they guy at the corner store...dirty...poor and hungry...and it bothers me...it bothers me that in a world of plenty, someone has to beg...there is something broken here and I don't pretend to have the answers.

Maybe your idea of freedom is a dog eat dog world...and maybe that is what is needed...if you cannot compete, you die....maybe that is what is best. it sounds heartless but it removes the burdens on the successful to afford life to the unsuccessful. I think you have shown your hand...you are not human...you are a monster and a predator. Accolades to you...you have absolutely summed up the human condition....we only do well when we subjugate another....how wonderful. Sleep well...perhaps the truth will find it's way into your subconscious...apparently there is no getting through the conscious defenses you have set up to justify the suffering of others...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Nothing to see here folks:

www.statisticbrain.com...

Welfare pays more than an $8 dollar an hour job!

$131 billion dollars annually paid which is 10 billion a month

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

reply to post by beezzer

again.....an exercise in speculation.

Actually, trend analysis.

But your refusal to "speculate" is an answer in of itself.

I couldn't begin to tell you. But I was simply pointing out that you accused someone of deflecting and speculating, but your question was speculative in and of itself.

I'm sure you can laugh at the hypocrisy.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

No one is buying anything. You think that during a recession, someone is willing to shell out money for a used lamp?

You are a little late and a little off on your retort, but I will play.
Yes, go look at craigslist, Ebay or local garage sales.
Again, it is not my responsibility to fund my neighbor, via theft from the Govt.

I guess just bitch and moan loud enough, and make sure you cast your vote for 0bama to reach into my pocket to give you money.

I have tried to sell my comic book collection, no one is buying. There is no point.

Ebay. Someone will buy it. But, I am willing that you won't sell it for a reduced, going market price.

"Sorry kids, I have to sell your toys, because uncle Macman thinks we should be in utter desolation like a third world country, before we can get help"

Or how about, "Hey kids, we can keep all your toys, because the Govt will steal money from Macman, and give it to us".
Or how about, "Hey kids, we have to sell some stuff because we are poor. I think we will turn to our family for help, and then maybe our Church. But, I have drawn a line with allowing the Govt to take from someone else, to give to us. I, the father and leader of the family will start working 2 jobs, and look to get some side work to get us through this".
Yeah, yours is so much better, huh?

edit on 10-12-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

And you always ignore the very convenient points that the cost of living is not the same everywhere.

The cost of living in my county, in order to make enough to just get by, is $80,000 per year.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I think you are missing the social responsibility aspect of this. It's like taking tax money and using it to fund road construction.

Should the people that do not drive have to pay that tax? Why would they take from my paycheck to pay for roads that I may never use?

See how the line of thinking you used completely falls apart?

It's better for all of society to have proper roads. It is good for society to help people, with OUR money (not just yours), if they need some damned food.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Has anyone thought what would happen if a population bigger than Canada was in the streets rioting for jobs and food?
That's what would happen if there were no food stamps.
Bad image for a country they claim is out of a recession.

Control the food, control the people.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Also, a chunk of that money goes to the elderly and disabled. Especially long term care for the elderly. And that medicare money doesn't kick in until all the assests of the elderly person is gone.

link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

What county would that be?

The county of hiding behind government ?
edit on 10-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by macman

You are a little late and a little off on your retort, but I will play.
Yes, go look at craigslist, Ebay or local garage sales.
Again, it is not my responsibility to fund my neighbor, via theft from the Govt.

I guess just bitch and moan loud enough, and make sure you cast your vote for 0bama to reach into my pocket to give you money.

Ebay. Someone will buy it. But, I am willing that you won't sell it for a reduced, going market price.

Or how about, "Hey kids, we can keep all your toys, because the Govt will steal money from Macman, and give it to us".
Or how about, "Hey kids, we have to sell some stuff because we are poor. I think we will turn to our family for help, and then maybe our Church. But, I have drawn a line with allowing the Govt to take from someone else, to give to us. I, the father and leader of the family will start working 2 jobs, and look to get some side work to get us through this".
Yeah, yours is so much better, huh?

Those are not my quotes dude...I expect you to correct them....now.
edit on 12/10/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by beezzer

reply to post by beezzer

again.....an exercise in speculation.

Actually, trend analysis.

But your refusal to "speculate" is an answer in of itself.

I couldn't begin to tell you. But I was simply pointing out that you accused someone of deflecting and speculating, but your question was speculative in and of itself.

I'm sure you can laugh at the hypocrisy.

How is asking a question hypocritical?

I see many getting defensive because the TREND illustrates that there will be millions more on foodstamps with this administration.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join