It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Use Up 1.44 million in Just One Month

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink

Two words.

Personal responsibility,

Basically, it's not nor should it be my damned problem if people are unwilling to adjust or adapt to a new paradigm.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

so, you have no whip handy but you expect me to answer the same question twice ?? why, didn't you like the 1st answer ?
here, let me repeat it ...
i DO NOT trust government.
do you need that emblazened on a billboard or what ?

oh here we go ... you have no argument, so i don't understand ... ok, esplain it then.

what SERVICE don't parents provide ?
or better yet, what services do parents provide for -0- compensation?

your 'services' are a signed, contracted agreement, parenting is not.
[Federal services, not local ones]
your 'services' we've done without before, we could again.
your 'services' do nothing to enhance the country as a whole.
IF your 'services' did, i might be more willing to support them.

local public servants don't get paid from Federal tax dollars.
state agencies may get a stipend from the Fed funny-money scam but that doesn't translate like you imply.

who is "paying for their children" ?? you ?
only if you count your taxes in that summary otherwise it sure isn't you.

Secondly, raising ones own children is not a contracted for service
normally, i would tend to agree, but, if it's not, then why do we have 'child support' ??

Food stamps are comparable to getting funds
i disagree as it is not an item of universal exchange whereas funds are.

BS - commodity ... seems you need to see a dictionary.
sorry, but there is no "FS" trade value on the market exchange

you'd have to be schmoozed, confused or delerious to believe what you typed.

let's start with "commodity" ... that which is actually SOLD and demanded by the marketplace.
so, how do food stamps fit in with that definition again ?
wheat, barley, corn, fuel ... all commodities ... food stamps, not quite.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

ok buddy ill remember your compassion (im sure jesus would be proud) when you and yours have no work no money and no innovations ill respect your wishes and let nature take its course

im no millionaire but im not doing too bad now and i only see things getting better i have no skin in this game im just telling you what i think is morally right and that most certainly does not involve being led by your wallet which you seem so proud of
edit on 11-12-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Originally posted by Honor93

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift
reply to post by NavyDoc

This tired argument..

How can someone that doesn't know how to do math be expected to read a book?!?!

Got to be a tad more specific. One problem with a website that has a "reply to" without quoting button, is that sometimes you don't know what another person is referencing.

If you are referring to the comparing the salary of a government employee to a welfare benefit, the actual amount has nothing to do with the underlying principle--that one gets payment for a service provided and the other gets payment for nothing.
edit on 11-12-2012 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

What service is being provided by a government employee?

It depends on what is required. One assumes that a firefighter puts out fires, for example.
firefighters are not employees of the Federal government, try again.

1). How is this discussion limited to the federal government?
2). I know several federally employed firefighters.
www.fs.fed.us...
Employment qualifications for federal firefighters PDF

The Federal Fire Department
As an employee of a federal fire department you are employed by a federal agency. This can be as a structural firefighter, wildland firefighter or both depending on the entity and service area. Such entities include the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, a Veterans Affairs facility, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife or any number of other federally operated departments that employ fire service personnel. It may also fall under one of the branches of the U.S. military who often employ civilian fire personnel at various federally owned and operated bases or other military sites.

Are you still going to spout off on stuff you have not a clue about?

seriously
why the Feds ?
where do you think food stamps come from ??
the local union steward or what ?

you offered firefighters as a Fed service that we need and pay for ... you're wrong.
firefighters get discounted/free meals everywhere they go ... how many starving taxpayers can say the same?

from your quote ... [color=amber] It may also fall under one of the branches of the U.S. military who often employ civilian fire personnel at various federally owned and operated bases or other military sites.
yeppers, there's that MIC group again ... but we shouldn't be concerned about mission creep at all, right?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
reply to post by beezzer

ok buddy ill remember your compassion (im sure jesus would be proud) when you and yours have no work no money and no innovations ill respect your wishes and let nature take its course

im no millionaire but im not doing too bad now and i only see things getting better i have no skin in this game im just telling you what i think is morally right and that most certainly does not involve being led by your wallet which you seem so proud of

I'm below the poverty line, and have been for almost 3 years, and do not agree with that members views. However, that comment you just made about our Lord is the worst thing I have seen posted here yet. Do not mock that persons Lord, you are touching on a subject that may or may not be dear to his heart. Further, you can not predict what Jesus would say about anything, you only know what He has said when establishing the New Covenant.

Other than that though, I completely agree. Please don't mock peoples beliefs over the internet. It is one thing to say their religion is leading them astray, and it is a completely different thing to say things like what you just did.

If you happen to be Christian (doubt it) I will quote something I seem to have to quote a lot around here "It is not what goes in your mouth that defiles you, it is what comes out of it."

On topic, yes you are responsible for all of your human brothers and sisters. I personally am my brothers keeper, IDK about you.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NarrowGate

oh im not mocking his beliefs im mocking his hypocrisy in holding those beliefs while acting in a completely contradictory manner
i really do mean that if the stories in the new testament are true jesus would likely be extremely disappointed

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

unless you've paid the tax rates of the 70s, you don't know what being taxed too much is ... it's never happened since.

yes, we do, in some cases but a hungry person, should always come first.
do you feed yourself before your children ?
do you feed yourself before your pets/animals ?
do you feed yourself before your guests ??

if you answer yes to any of the above, that's not surprising.

Do you empty out your neighbor's refrigerator to feed your guests? 'Cause that is what you want. Mac gladly helps out others, he's said it multiple times in this thread. There is a big moral difference between helping people out yourself and getting a third party to force a person to give to another. One ismoral, one is not.
no, i invite them over to share, don't you ?
i don't see how you figure that ... sharing is not stealing from the neighbors to feed my guests, try again.

your point ?? so do i and in many more ways
(we've discussed it previously, mac & I)

no one is forcing anyone to do anything.
you already pay the taxes that support said program ... you've been doing it voluntarily for decades, why stop now ??

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Now i see your true intent, which is good.

May I offer a different approach you could try? "What did your Lord Jesus (the I AM) say about giving to the poor, and unnecessary money, and having compassion, and being your brother's keeper"?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

unless you've paid the tax rates of the 70s, you don't know what being taxed too much is ... it's never happened since.

Oh, did my accountant or financial adviser call you?

do you feed yourself before your children ? Yep, they sure do.
do you feed yourself before your pets/animals ? Nope, as they are animals
do you feed yourself before your guests ?? Depends on the circumstance. Normal politeness, no, guest come first.
But if they stare at me, I beat them to death with my Evil Black Assault Rifle, shoot their kids and eat their pets.

Ok then.

edit on 11-12-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)
why would they need to ??
are you cookin the books ??? trimming the fat, slaying the dog, slabbin a hog, what ??

at least we agree a hungry person should come first before all luxuries.
remind me to bring a grenade to the next dinner invitation

[seems i'm gonna need it just to reach the food table]

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Well we have religion, hand grenades and invitations to mods on the last two pages.

Interesting thread, eh?

Way too many people on food stamps.

Did I ever tell you the story about the guy that owns corner grocery stores in the city?
He pays people 50 cents on the dollar to use their EBT cards. They hand him the card and give him the pin. He gives them cash.

He drives a stretch cargo van to the suburbs, and goes to a discount grocery chain.
He buys groceries there with the other people's EBT cards.
Then he drives the van full of groceries back to the city and stocks his grocery store.
He bought his stock for 50 cents on the dollar at a discount grocery.
He marks the prices up above what the discount chain actually charges by a significant amount.
Then he sells those groceries to other people, a lot of them using EBT cards to pay for them.

How do you like that? He is not a poor man, food stamps are making sure of that.

I watched it happen.

link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
And yet the government will tout this as a success.

They really do. They are proud that 48 million people are on food stamps. They measure success by how many are on welfare rather than how many are not.

Republicans would cut off food stamps almost immediately, as they feel that anyone who can't "pull their socks up and help themselves" isn't worth helping.

However, they're happy to provide tax breaks for billionnaires and corporations.

link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Two words.

Personal responsibility,

Basically, it's not nor should it be my damned problem if people are unwilling to adjust or adapt to a new paradigm.

Well Beez..that is not exactly fair. The world changes sometimes and does not ask for our approval.

I do kinda agree. If we got rid of the heavy hand of the state...we could do some wonderful things....but then we have another problem. We all know about the Koch brothers...these guys don't seem to dump their toxins anywhere near there own homes...kinda funny isn't it.

All I want is freedom wrapped in common sense....ewwe...what a vanishing skill. No it is not cool to dump toxins where they are going to creep into my only water supply....but hey....one step at a time right.

I see your posts Beezer and I think you have a solid head on your shoulders...but we both know that people can be serious pricks to other people...this is not a secret.

So what is the answer? If we completely de-regulate....we will be poisoned and die...fact. If we over regulate...then no one makes money.....what is the balance?...what is the answer?
edit on 12/11/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Well we have religion, hand grenades and invitations to mods on the last two pages.

Interesting thread, eh?

Way too many people on food stamps.

Did I ever tell you the story about the guy that owns corner grocery stores in the city?
He pays people 50 cents on the dollar to use their EBT cards. They hand him the card and give him the pin. He gives them cash.

He drives a stretch cargo van to the suburbs, and goes to a discount grocery chain.
He buys groceries there with the other people's EBT cards.
Then he drives the van full of groceries back to the city and stocks his grocery store.
He bought his stock for 50 cents on the dollar at a discount grocery.
He marks the prices up above what the discount chain actually charges by a significant amount.
Then he sells those groceries to other people, a lot of them using EBT cards to pay for them.

How do you like that? He is not a poor man, food stamps are making sure of that.

I watched it happen.

We had a guy go to prison for that in my area..... I wouldn't post that on ATS.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

so, you have no whip handy but you expect me to answer the same question twice ?? why, didn't you like the 1st answer ?
here, let me repeat it ...
i DO NOT trust government.
do you need that emblazened on a billboard or what ?

oh here we go ... you have no argument, so i don't understand ... ok, esplain it then.

what SERVICE don't parents provide ?
or better yet, what services do parents provide for -0- compensation?

your 'services' are a signed, contracted agreement, parenting is not.
[Federal services, not local ones]
your 'services' we've done without before, we could again.
your 'services' do nothing to enhance the country as a whole.
IF your 'services' did, i might be more willing to support them.

local public servants don't get paid from Federal tax dollars.
state agencies may get a stipend from the Fed funny-money scam but that doesn't translate like you imply.

who is "paying for their children" ?? you ?
only if you count your taxes in that summary otherwise it sure isn't you.

Secondly, raising ones own children is not a contracted for service
normally, i would tend to agree, but, if it's not, then why do we have 'child support' ??

Food stamps are comparable to getting funds
i disagree as it is not an item of universal exchange whereas funds are.

BS - commodity ... seems you need to see a dictionary.
sorry, but there is no "FS" trade value on the market exchange

you'd have to be schmoozed, confused or delerious to believe what you typed.

let's start with "commodity" ... that which is actually SOLD and demanded by the marketplace.
so, how do food stamps fit in with that definition again ?
wheat, barley, corn, fuel ... all commodities ... food stamps, not quite.

Again, you have absolutely no concept. LIke not understanding that there are, in fact, federally employed firefighters. Something does not have to be traded on NASDAQ to be a "commodity." If you guy a pair of shoes, that is a commodity. Your labor, whether donated or bought is a commodity. You give someone a coat, that coat is a commodity.

Hell, since it is obvious that you say things without knowing about them, let me provide you the dictionary definition:

com·mod·i·ty
/kəˈmäditē/Noun
1.A raw material or primary agricultural product that can be bought and sold, such as copper or coffee.
2.A useful or valuable thing, such as water or time.

Synonyms
goods - merchandise - article - ware - product - item

Look at #2. A commodity is a useful thing. Is not foodstamps a usefull thing? Again, you jibber jabber without any comprehension or knowlege.

Here is another cite:

In economics, a commodity is the generic term for any marketable item produced to satisfy wants or needs
So foodstamps does not satisfy a "want or need?"
edit on 11-12-2012 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by projectvxn
And yet the government will tout this as a success.

They really do. They are proud that 48 million people are on food stamps. They measure success by how many are on welfare rather than how many are not.

Republicans would cut off food stamps almost immediately, as they feel that anyone who can't "pull their socks up and help themselves" isn't worth helping.

However, they're happy to provide tax breaks for billionnaires and corporations.

And some are proud of it too! You lazy, uneducated, pot smoking hippie liberal! Get a job and stop whining. Your just jealous!

*sarcasm alert*

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Again, you are being stupid. I used "firefighters" as an example of an individual employed by the government. You said that there were no federal firefighters. I showed you that, in fact, there were. You are trying to weasel out of your stupid, ignorant, comments.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

do you feed yourself before your children ?
do you feed yourself before your pets/animals ?
do you feed yourself before your guests ??

Do you empty out your neighbor's refrigerator to feed your guests? 'Cause that is what you want. Mac gladly helps out others, he's said it multiple times in this thread. There is a big moral difference between helping people out yourself and getting a third party to force a person to give to another. One ismoral, one is not.
no, i invite them over to share, don't you ?
i don't see how you figure that ... sharing is not stealing from the neighbors to feed my guests, try again.

your point ?? so do i and in many more ways
(we've discussed it previously, mac & I)

no one is forcing anyone to do anything.
you already pay the taxes that support said program ... you've been doing it voluntarily for decades, why stop now ??

I share with my friends and neighbors all of the time, out of my own refrigerator and at my own expense. I would never dream of forcing another person to fund my sharing with my neighbors. THAT is exactly what you want to do. "Try again" that is so moronic. Taking from one person to give to another is not "sharing."

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NarrowGate

It happens every day in the city of Reading, PA.

What about those people that hand over their EBT cards to the inner city grocer? What do you suppose they are doing with that money that they get from him?

Something else to ponder.... How hungry are they? If they will let him charge their total allowance for the two weeks ( or a month, I don't know how often the Government loads them) for HALF OF WHAT IT IS WORTH TO THEM AS PURCHASED FOOD????

Yes, some are really grateful for that 'small amount' that they get.

edit on 11-12-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That's your wife? I am seriously sorry for you. Also, I believe she can speak for herself. Despite tradition, women are quite capable of handling themselves.

Also, too few people have too much. That's why food stamps were made necessary, because the people who had plenty kept it from the people who had too little. Capitalism and gluttony is a very bad mixture.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarrowGate

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
reply to post by beezzer

I'm below the poverty line, and have been for almost 3 years, and do not agree with that members views. However, that comment you just made about our Lord is the worst thing I have seen posted here yet. Do not mock that persons Lord, you are touching on a subject that may or may not be dear to his heart. Further, you can not predict what Jesus would say about anything, you only know what He has said when establishing the New Covenant.

Other than that though, I completely agree. Please don't mock peoples beliefs over the internet. It is one thing to say their religion is leading them astray, and it is a completely different thing to say things like what you just did.

If you happen to be Christian (doubt it) I will quote something I seem to have to quote a lot around here "It is not what goes in your mouth that defiles you, it is what comes out of it."

On topic, yes you are responsible for all of your human brothers and sisters. I personally am my brothers keeper, IDK about you.
ok, NG ... this response is strictly for the purpose of learning.
i am going to respond to both posts in this single response.

1. it is addressed as a reply to you, specifically.
2. it contains another posters dialogue, including ours.
3. pay attention to the "reply to" header because that is the poster the reply should be addressed to.

ok, here we go ...

i am sorry to hear about your current situation and do hope there is a brighter future on the horizon.

i am not a religious person, so i'm going to skip that portion of this commentary.

i agree, mocking ppls beliefs is not nice but ppl do it all the time (self included)

here, i'm gonna quote a part of a sentence in the same post but stated by a different poster (got it ?) see the extended commentary quoted above.

i have no skin in this game
personally, i find this comment tougher than lean beef ... but i suppose, to each their own.

[color=amber] now i KNOW you didn't say that, but it is part of the ongoing conversation ... do you see how that works, better now ?

i am still talking to/with you but commenting on what someone else said about it.

back on topic and Your commentary specifically ...

i am not my brothers/sisters keeper but i will always lend him/her a hand (so long as i have one to spare).

can't we find something better to discuss than "religious belief or obligation" ??
it's not a requirement to GET food stamps, yet

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join