It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoky Shells - Hubble pic of the week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Browsing the Hubble site, I thought I would share their picture of the week for those who appreciate 'outer space art'.

Planetary Nebula NGC 7354

NGC 7354 resides in Cepheus, a constellation named after the mythical King Cepheus of Aethiopia and is about half a light-year in diameter.

Located in a relatively vacant region of space about 4200 light-years away and difficult to see using an amateur telescope, the lonesome planetary nebula NGC 7354 is often overlooked. However, thanks to this image captured by the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope we are able to see this brilliant ball of smoky light in spectacular detail.

Just as shooting stars are not actually stars and lava lamps do not actually contain lava, planetary nebulae have nothing to do with planets. The name was coined by Sir William Herschel because when he first viewed a planetary nebula through a telescope, he could only identify a hazy smoky sphere, similar to gaseous planets such as Uranus. The name has stuck even though modern telescopes make it obvious that these objects are not planets at all, but the glowing gassy outer layers thrown off by a hot dying star.

I didn't know that...
You learn something new everyday.

Space never ceases to amaze me.

Please click the link for further info and higher res picture.

ESA/HUBBLE-Smoky Shells

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Cool thanks for sharing

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonewulph
Cool thanks for sharing

You're welcome

new topics

join